• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Favorite for the Steelers GM Position Isn’t A Surprise According to one Steelers Insider

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have yet to name the successor to Kevin Colbert, but one NFL insider is already making his prediction as to who will take the helm.

According to The Athletic’s Mark Kaboly, Pittsburgh will promote current Steelers Pro Personnel Coordinator, Brandon Hunt.

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to Steeler Nation as promoting from within seems to be the way Pittsburgh normally operates, and Hunt fits the bill. Hunt was one of two candidates who underwent an immediate interview for the position when Colbert announced his retirement in January according to Brooke Pryor, ESPN NFL Nation reporter for Pittsburgh. Omar Khan was the other candidate.

BREAKING: Steelers GM Kevin Colbert is stepping down after the draft, per Art Rooney II.

Team will conduct a search for a new GM immediately, but likely won’t make the hire until after the draft. They have already interviewed two in-house candidates: Brandon Hunt and Omar Khan.

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) January 28, 2022

So far, Pittsburgh has interviewed 16 candidates for the General Manager position and in one of my latest articles, I tell you who each one is and their background.

Steelers Brandon Hunt

Brandon Hunt headshot | Credit: Brandon Hunt’s Instagram (@the_other_pgh_kid)

Hunt’s qualifications​

Hunt is a Pittsburgh guy having gone to Pine Richland High School, and the Indiana University of Pittsburgh for college, both within 60 miles of downtown Pittsburgh. Hunt has also been with the organization for 15 years, getting his start with the team in 2005, leaving for a couple of years, and then returning in 2010, according to Steelers.com.

Steelers Brandon Hunt

Steelers Brandon Hunt discusses the Combine with Steelers.com Reporters Bob Labriola, and Missi Matthews

Hunt was also influential in trading for All-Pro Safety, Minkah Fitzpatrick in 2019 and assisted in signing free agents Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Tyson Alualu.

Is he a good fit for the Steelers?​

Art Rooney II, team owner and president, sure thinks so. When asked about Hunt and his potential future as the team’s general manager, Rooney said he’s a “good candidate.”

“He has taken on additional responsibilities and handled them well,” Rooney added. “So I think Brandon is somebody that has the kind of experience we’ll be looking for.”

Rooney’s original plans were to reportedly name the new general manager after the draft so we may hear the announcement soon. The draft takes place April 28th – 30th. What we do know is he will check all the boxes in the hiring process to ensure Pittsburgh is set up for future success.

What do you think of Kaboly’s prediction? Would you like to see Hunt take over as the general manager? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Interesting considering both Dulac and Bouchette both believe the Steelers will hire from outside the organization. Both mentioned Weidl from the Eagles and Bouchette added Wojciechowski from the Packers.

I thought it would be BH from the beginning. Knowing the Steelers track record with promoting from within, been with the team for 15 years and KC's right hand man, all too logical. Added in that he had a hand in Minkah's trade, makes sense and I think it would be a good hire.

Just get this done so he can start commanding his job position decisions. I'm sure behind the scenes he has given his input to those that need and I'm sure he has been involved in every decision to this point but still, GET IT DONE.

Salute the nation

Interesting considering both Dulac and Bouchette both believe the Steelers will hire from outside the organization. Both mentioned Weidl from the Eagles and Bouchette added Wojciechowski from the Packers.
I think that was just owner speak. I am sure he is in the ... hunt.

But if I was a gambling man I would pick an outside candidate.

Unlike previous years, Hunt has been attached at Colbert's hip at every pro day, it's looked to me throughout this whole process that Colbert has been grooming Hunt. It's felt like Hunt was his heir from the get go, regardless of the other interviews they've done