• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Late Great Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley: How Two Steelers Teammate’s Friendship on the Field Forged Life Lessons Off It

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley joined the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1980 and would go on to have each other’s back in a journey that began as teammates on the field, to media personalities off of it. Any friendship lasting 40 years is special, but this duo especially so. It was truly forged as part of being a “band of brothers” and went beyond the football field, to the most important parts of life.

While they quickly became friends, what sealed their bond occurred in the final game of the 1981 season vs. the Houston Oilers. Injuries limited the Steelers to one healthy quarterback in Mark Malone. When Malone ran in a 2-yard touchdown, he was speared on late hit by Oilers safety Vernon Perry. Protecting his quarterback, Ilkin tagged Perry with a punch. Oilers linebacker Ted Washington tried jumping on Ilkin, but Wolfley entered the fray. The officials sent the players to the sidelines, but it wasn’t over.

Steelers Tunch and Wolf

30 years of friendship between Tunch and Wolf / Beaver County Times

Craig Wolfley, per In the Locker Room: Tales of the Pittsburgh Steelers from the Playing Field to the Broadcast Booth:

That’s when Tunch said, “Watch my back. Because when the gun goes off, I’m going to go get Perry.” About halfway over I realized it was Tunch and me headed to the Houston sidelines and nobody in reserve. I thought, I wonder if this is a good idea. When he got that wild-eyed Turkish look, I knew that he might do something stupid, but buddies have each other’s backs.

Ilkin loved to joke about what he called “Wolf stories” and especially those about his massive appetite, including one from a rookie year visit to Burger King.

Tunch Ilkin, per In the Locker Room: Tales of the Pittsburgh Steelers from the Playing Field to the Broadcast Booth:

He said, “I want two Double Whoppers, large fries, and a Diet Coke.” I said, “Diet Coke?” He said, “I’ve gotta save them where I can.”

While Ilkin was recognized with 2 Pro Bowls at right tackle for the Steelers, a knee injury hampered Wolfley from reaching his full potential and reaching multiple Pro Bowls himself. During their fifth season, the injuries got the better of Wolfley and had him near his breaking point.

Tunch Ilkin, per In the Locker Room: Tales of the Pittsburgh Steelers from the Playing Field to the Broadcast Booth:

He said, “I’m done. I’m retiring. I can’t take it anymore. My shoulder hurts, my groin’s gone, it feels like I’ve got glass in my knee.” I said, “Wait a second, stop. What are you going to do for a living?” He said, “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll work for Allied Van Lines.” I said, “So you’re going to move furniture? Don’t be an idiot. You don’t even have your degree. Relax, this too shall pass.” He looked at me and said, “Yeah, you’re right.” That put a stop to that.

Mike Webster had a lasting impact on both players. Ilkin said he was the hardest working guy he ever saw, noting how the day after playing in the Pro Bowl, he was at Three Rivers Stadium working out. Webster set the standard for the linemen, encouraged them to study film and train with him, but also had a sense of humor. No one could keep up with Webster when it came to training, but one day Wolfley thought he’d try as they did five 350-yarders after practice.

Steelers Wolf and Tunch

Wolf and Tunch always had time for charity. TribLive.com

Wolf said, “I’m gonna get him.” Wolf was running stride for stride with Webby, and I was right behind trying to catch up. We finished, and Wolf collapsed. He was on the ground, and I thought Webby was saying something nice to him. But apparently, Webby said, “Wolf, if it comes down to you dying or my giving you mouth-to-mouth, consider yourself a dead man.”

The final game that featured all three playing was in 1989, when Webster was with the Kansas City Chiefs. Afterwards, the three would embrace. Webster passed away tragically in 2002 after well documented struggles from a heart attack and suffering from CTE.

In 2005, Ilkin was impacted hard by the loss of two other former teammates. Steve Courson tragically died when trying to prevent a tree he was chopping down from falling on his dog. Terry Long took his own life in 2005 and talked to Ilkin right before doing so.

He said, “Tunch, I’m just not made for this world. I want to go be with the Lord.” I said, “Terry, the Lord may not be done with you yet. He may have other things for you. Let’s you and me and Wolf go out to lunch this week. How about Thursday?” He said, “Thursday’s a good day.” It was either late Monday night or early Tuesday morning when he took his life and it was just so devastating.

The loss of so many teammates drew Tunch and Wolf even closer over the years. In 1998, Ilkin joined the Steelers broadcast team with Bill Hillgrove and Myron Cope. Wolfley began serving as the sideline reporter in 2002 and succeeded Ilkin as the Steelers color analyst when he retired due to his fight with ALS.

Ilkin passed away on September 4, 2021. Steeler Nation lost a true legend that day, a great player, a great man, and the epitome of what “band of brothers” means.

Check out other Steelers History Pieces​

Steelers Legend Troy Polamalu Would Switch Coverages On the Fly and Bill Cowher Would Have a Heart Attack
Rocky Bleier Was Told He’d Never Play Football Again – He Thought Otherwise
Bill Cowher Admits to Knowing the Patriots Cheated?
Tony Dungy shares the private reason Chuck Noll passed on Dan Marino

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..