• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The next big Environmental faux crisis: Ocean acidification

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Get ready because as general climate change scare tactics fall as flat as the old “hole in the ozone” panic from the 80’s, its about time to move on to the next horrible terrible end of the world trend... I have it on fairly good authority that its going to be..... drumroll please

Ocean Acidification...

expect to see a zillion stories on it over the next decade... expect heavy linkage to every single thing going on in the ocean to it...

Just remember these things when making a judgement about it

A.) Carbonic acid is probably the weakest acid there is, yet that is speculated to be the sole reason...
B.) the last 150 years the ocean went from 8.2 to 8.1 ph... and it actually isn’t even that bad... this is a rough rounded number... there is ample speculation the oceans were already fairly close to 8.2 and testing simply got more precise.
C.) the ocean always is getting saltier and more acidic by nature.
D.) the past 150 years had REAL air pollution run rampant... that is to say SO2 and NOx... these produced REAL acid rain because they formed Sulfuric, Nitric, and Hydrochloric acids...
Pollution concentrations in modern sources have 95 to 99% reductions from thirty years ago, much less than the inefficient wide open sources of the industrial revolution...
All of those would lead to dramatic ph increases... carbonic is virtually irrelevant...
E.) even if this was all linked to carbon dioxide, and it isn’t, there is no reasonable expectation that the oceans are going to jump from 8.1 to 7.7 over twenty to fifty years like they will claim .... it took 150 of unbridled pollution in every facet to potentially move it the lowest measurable number... there is no reason to logically conclude its going to exponentially get worse for no reason at all...

Get ready because as general climate change scare tactics fall as flat as the old “hole in the ozone” panic from the 80’s <snip>

A real panic over a very real life-extinguishing event on planet Earth. You apparently are unaware that nations of the world (yes, even the ones that like to bomb one another) immediately banned CFC's (?) from spray cans, substituting butane, nitrogen, or other propellants. PBS had a great story on the well-documented event, perhaps they just don't broadcast that channel in your area.

Also, I would give the rest a bit more credence if you were to post the source link. Statistics can be shown to get up and dance while singing the star spangled banner so I remain skeptical. Always.

Last edited:
A real panic over a very real life-extinguishing event on planet Earth. You apparently are unaware that nations of the world (yes, even the ones that like to bomb one another) immediately banned CFC's (?) from spray cans, substituting butane, nitrogen, or other propellants. PBS had a great story on the well-documented event, perhaps they just don't broadcast that channel in your area.

Also, I would give the rest a bit more credence if you were to post the source link. Statistics can be shown to get up and dance while singing the star spangled banner so I remain skeptical. Always.

Cucktime!!! Oh Cucktime!!! Your girlfriend is back!!!!

Well they need to figure something out, because the CO2 thing is bullshit. There is absolutely no causation correlation between CO2 and temperature. Sucks for the Malthusians because CO2 is the only thing they can blame on people.

I would like it a bit warmer. how can I help speed this process up?

So how long do we have, Elfie? 12 years? 15?

Don’t you chase zim away... it gets boring here watching everyone abuse poor Tibs and 21 all the time :l

Someone take away your box of Legos? Glad I can entertain, you guys all seem very angry at life.

A quick gasoline dip and a BIC should do it.

but I identify as an American that wants to help with making the climate a bit warmer over time. how do help with this cause. asking for me and a friend.

but I identify as an American that wants to help with making the climate a bit warmer over time. how do help with this cause. asking for me and a friend.

TWO gasoline soaks should do it, then. Share the BIC.

TWO gasoline soaks should do it, then. Share the BIC.

you repeat the same Thing. it is how I identify. I am sure you don't a problem with that

I certainly would have no problem with you and a friend pretending to be American Buddhist Monks.

You asked for my help and I gave you one possible solution. If you don't like the answer, why did you throw out the troll bait in the first place?

Last edited:
I certainly would have no problem with you and a friend pretending to be American Buddhist Monks.

You asked for my help and I gave you one possible solution. If you don't like the answer, why did you throw out the troll bait in the first place?

This is a much less obnoxious, muted version of Elfie. It's like there have been several rounds of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) already performed and that ze is on high doses of Librium or something.

I mean once a douchebag, always a douchebag -- but not nearly as loud a douchebag.

Last edited:
Cucktime!!! Oh Cucktime!!! Your girlfriend is back!!!!

It truly will be a shame if Steeltime misses ze for perhaps the last time.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Get ready because as general climate change scare tactics fall as flat as the old “hole in the ozone” panic from the 80’s, its about time to move on to the next horrible terrible end of the world trend... I have it on fairly good authority that its going to be..... drumroll please

Ocean Acidification....

Of course it will all be America's fault since China, India, and the Pacific Rim don't pollute.

I consider myself a pretty interested conservationist, despite my conservative leanings.

I don't like hunting, although I understand the need for some animals to be thinned and populations controlled. I don't like big game hunting or "hunting ranches" at all. I'm against whaling in all means and methods. I strongly believe in fishing quotas and restrictions. I love our national park system and am a firm believe in Teddy Roosevelt's vision of conservatism.

I am concerned at conservation, habitat loss and species extinctions but not nearly as much as liberals.

That said, the United States is the gold standard of environmentalism and I am very proud of that. Despite all our growth we have done the best at reversing past sins, using science to make policies on pollution. It wasn't perfect but when you compare our history vs. almost any other country or region on the planet, we did better to stem the tide of human impact than anywhere else on the planet.

And I think a policy of small incremental changes with a balance of science, environment and economy is the ONLY path to success.

We are not the problem but the STANDARD to be followed by the world.

Unfortunately, almost every major global climate issue moving forward in the 21st century is in the hands of Asia and Africa and to some degree South America. Their industrial revolutions can happen faster and have more environmental impact in a shorter amount of time because they use modern technology to do it. They are started their industrial revolutions with 10 times the amount of people. Every decision they make has 10 times the impact vs. the decisions Europe and U.S. made during our evolution into modernism.

I just don't know how to stop it nor do I think attempting to stop it without an sound alternative is going to do anything. The damage might already be done (both now and the inevitability of the next 20-30 years).

The area around 2000 miles of Hong Kong has 1/2 the world's population and could reach 5 billion people by 2040. It is or will be responsible for 75% of pollution and 75% of carbon output. And it still has 2 billion people NOT ON THE ENERGY GRID. Asia is responsible for 75% of the plastic in the ocean. Asia is responsible for 60-70% of species loss during this "mass extinction event". We see their impact with the Corona Virus. Every major expert in the world predicts new viruses and antibiotic resistant bacteria to come from Asia (or Africa).

Africa has another 500 million people projected to enter the energy grid over the next 30-40 years.

There is NO STOPPING the planet from changing during Asia and Africa entering the energy sector. None. Impossible.

The only thing that will work is free market capitalism to invent something. Government "control" will do nothing. Government trying to "slow it down" will fail. Global "coalitions" and "pacts" are a joke. Sending money to Asia and Africa as "grants" is a ticket to corruption and warfare.

We should continue to do our best to prepare our country for environmental changes coming, protect our ecosystems, encourage others to not make our same mistakes with regard to pollution or "cutting corners" and hope for the best. That is all we can do and I'm not convinced any liberals current "plans" are possible or will do more good than harm.

Someone take away your box of Legos? Glad I can entertain, you guys all seem very angry at life.

Originally Posted by BLITZ
I would like it a bit warmer. how can I help speed this process up?

A quick gasoline dip and a BIC should do it.

iu

It truly will be a shame if Steeltime misses ze for perhaps the last time.

Luddite is not up to Elfie's psychotic rantings. Too bad, really. Beating elfie into paste is good mental exercise.

Akin to curls with a 5 lb. weight, yes, I get that, but still better than nothing. Luddite was the equivalent of air curls.

Luddite is not up to Elfie's psychotic rantings.

I know, not even close. That's why I mentioned:

This is a much less obnoxious, muted version of Elfie. It's like there have been several rounds of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) already performed and that ze is on high doses of Librium or something.

I mean once a douchebag, always a douchebag -- but not nearly as loud a douchebag.

But the one thing that did confuse me and IMO tipped him off to be Elfie were the ramblings all through Friday night until Saturday morning. No one here has that type of dedication (or lack of a life, serious psychiatric issues etc.), except for Elfie.