• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers’ 3 Best Veteran Back-Up QB Options

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers will probably add to the quarterback room in some fashion once again this off-season. With the 2022 NFL Draft less than two weeks away, the Steelers could very well draft a quarterback high in the first couple of rounds. However, there are three reasons the Steelers shouldn’t draft a quarterback this year.

And maybe the team is in the group of people that question “Is Steelers NFL Draft Prospect Malik Willis Really Worth a 1st Round Pick?” The Steelers could have as many hesitations with these guys coming out this year as we do.

In the event the team elects to pass on a quarterback in the class of 2022, they should add a veteran quarterback with back-up experience. Someone who could really be extremely useful with a clipboard in his hand and a guy that could go win a game or two in the event that QB1 Mitch Trubisky goes down. Someone that would provide great leadership to a young Steelers’ locker room. So, who comes to your mind when thinking about a veteran quarterback like this?

Here’s my top targets in this scenario for the Steelers:​

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Steelers Ryan Fitzpatrick

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick talks during a postgame news conference following a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. (AP Photo/Mark LoMoglio)

Fitzpatrick has been in the NFL since 2005 and has played with a laundry list of teams. However, he has been one of those journeymen back-up quarterbacks who has made a lot of money doing just that. He has had eight seasons where he started 11-plus games with the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, New York Jets, and the Miami Dolphins. He has a career record of 59-87-1 as a starter, but we wouldn’t be asking him to be QB1. Fitzpatrick has thrown for nearly 35,000 yards, 223 touchdowns, 169 interceptions, and has had 13 comebacks and 18 game-winning drives. The quarterback has just been inconsistent in his career, but knows the game well. However, if we would need a game or two of “Fitzmagic,” maybe he could provide that, too. The many teammates he has had over the years seem to love the guy. He would provide great leadership to a young team, even as the team’s back-up quarterback. He could also very well be a great mentor for Trubisky.

2) Cam Newton

Steelers Cam Newton

Photo by Dannie Walls/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Newton was NFL MVP in 2015, just seven years ago. Is he still that caliber of quarterback? Probably not, and that’s okay. Newton’s skills as a mobile quarterback could be very helpful for Trubisky in addition to the Steelers’ offense. Not only could the Steelers rely on Newton’s clipboard ability as an intelligent QB2, the team could also create offensive packages specifically for him. A little creativity never hurt anyone. In his career, Newton has posted a 75-68-1 record with the Carolina Panthers and New England Patriots. He has thrown for over 32,000 yards, 194 touchdowns, and 123 interceptions, while running for over 5,628 yards and 75 touchdowns. The only problem would be that Newton probably doesn’t want to come in as a back-up.

Free-agent QB Cam Newton is drawing interest, but also is remaining patient. “I have teams that are interested in signing me,” Newton texted. “I am waiting on the best fit as it pertains to winning a championship and getting a fair chance to play.”

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 29, 2022

However, if the market isn’t there for him to be a starter elsewhere, maybe his feelings would change if the Steelers could entice him with a package of plays.

3) Mike Glennon

Steelers Mike Glennon

Giants quarterback Mike Glennon was sacked three times last Sunday during a 20-9 loss in Miami, suffering a concussion in the process.LYNNE SLADKY/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Glennon is another quarterback that has earned a lot of money in his career as a back-up quarterback. He has collected a career record of 6-25 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, the then Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars, and most recently the New York Giants. The quarterback has thrown for just over 7,000 yards, 47 touchdowns, and 35 interceptions. He has had 3 comebacks and 4 game-winning drives. He would obviously be better in limited to no playing time in the best case scenario, but Glennon has been around the block and knows a few things that could be beneficial to Trubisky’s continuing growth.

What do you think, SteelerNation? Should the Steelers add one of these veteran back-up quarterbacks to aide Trubisky? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

All for having a QBs version of, 'the beard". The rest of the list...pass.

If you want vet experience and someone that can win some games (just not a season's worth), Fitzmagic is the way (albeit maybe too expensive). If you want youth and potential upside, Josh Rosen.

Cam has more than his share of baggage and would cost more in dollars than the other two.
I'd be OK with Fitz and maybe a late round or URFA camp QB body.

No retreads need apply…

We’ve got T-biscuit and Rudy

Add a late round flyer (if dead set on drafting a QB) and a UDFA and let’s ride!

Any of those 3 is just a waste of cap space for a clipboard holder, no thanks..

Are the Steelers actually looking to add a veteran QB? You'd think with Trubisky and Rudolph they would be fine in terms of veterans and look to add a young arm to the mix, unless they're going to trade Rudolph.

Are the Steelers actually looking to add a veteran QB? You'd think with Trubisky and Rudolph they would be fine in terms of veterans and look to add a young arm to the mix, unless they're going to trade Rudolph.
Don't tease.

Don't tease.
If you really think about it, there is no point to keeping three veterans. If they draft a QB in the first or second round, they aren't going to be third string and they aren't paying Rudolph that much to not dress.

If you really think about it, there is no point to keeping three veterans. If they draft a QB in the first or second round, they aren't going to be third string and they aren't paying Rudolph that much to not dress.
You would think. I keep thinking about Colbert's 4QB comments. But one could be on the PS I presume. Draft one late and bring an undrafted in and they can fight it out to see who gets put on the PS.

You would think. I keep thinking about Colbert's 4QB comments. But one could be on the PS I presume. Draft one late and bring an undrafted in and they can fight it out to see who gets put on the PS.
That's what makes the most sense to me.
if we draft ridder in the 2nd, you dont think he would be on the pine for first year?
Ridder would likely be on the bench, however, do you have him third string not even dressing? If your QB of the future doesn't even dress year one then he probably isn't a future NFL starter.

well,, Steve young was on the pine,, and a a ron rogers,,,

if you have a strong back up year one,, it only makes sense

Fitzpatrick may be more expensive on a 1 year deal. Plus no thank you- unless you’re desperate for a starter. I think Brissett or Tyrod would be more bang for your buck backups