• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Defensive Player of the Year Award Winners’ Round Table

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have had some legendary defensive players don the black and gold over the last few decades. But none have probably been more influential for the franchise than “Mean” Joe Greene, Rod Woodson, James Harrison and Troy Polamalu.

This week, the Steelers released on their YouTube channel a special video featuring these four impactful players regarding what it took to win Defensive Player of the Year, what it meant to be a Pittsburgh Steeler, and at what moment they knew they were a dominant force in the NFL.

“To be honest, I never expected to win it [DPOY Award],” Polamalu said. “In indication that I was on track, that I was making noise like around the league, was when coach [Mike] Tomlin said, ‘I don’t think there’s a defensive player playing better than Troy right now.’ When I heard that, I’m like, ‘really?'”

“Mean” Joe Greene was not just intimidating to his opponents, but to his teammates and players within the organization as well.

“I remember watching him, like how mean he was. I remember him stepping on people, stepping on hands… back in the day, he could do all that,” Woodson said. “When I walked in, he was the defensive line coach when I got here. Just to see him in person — first of all, it scared the snot out of me.”

If you have about 20 minutes, this is a must-see if you’re a Steelers’ fan, or even a fan of the NFL. You’re not going to find these unique prospective and insights anywhere else.

I’m personally so grateful for these four men and what they’ve down for this organization as a whole, and what a joy it was to watch these players share their experiences on what it truly meant to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Watch the full video HERE.

How amazing is it to see these four Steelers’ legends reminisce about their best days as a defensive great for the city of Pittsburgh? What was your favorite moment from any of these players? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..