• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Don’t Have Much Cap Space Left

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers went on a spending spree during the first week of free agency. In an unnormal off-season that saw the Steelers start with around 27 million in cap room, they dished out contracts that will pay those players a combined 80+ million. I don’t think anyone saw that coming from this team.

Now with that the question on everyone’s mind is how much cap space do the Steelers have left?

The answer? Not a lot.

The two most popular websites to track salary cap information are OverTheCap.com and Spotrac.com. OTC lists the Steelers as having $21,061,376 in cap space, and Spotrac shows $20,459,217. Those numbers are incorrect. And they’re incorrect only because the contract details for several Steelers aren’t available yet. Now if you’re screaming that the Steelers released Zach Banner, and Joe Schobert. Yes, they did, and that is already reflected on those websites.

Now let me show you why those sites aren’t right… yet.

For instance, if you scroll down to the bottom of Spotrac you’ll see these newly signed, or re-signed players listed with no salary figure.
spotrac-1024x157.png

OTC is missing the same 4 players. So lets take a look at what we know in regards to their contracts. Now if you’re screaming that the Steelers released Zach Banner, and Joe Schobert. Yes, they did, and that is already reflected on those websites.

Mitchell Trubisky – 14 million base value over 2 years with incentives that could raise it to 27 million. There’s a variety of different things teams can do with base salaries to keep them low. But with shorter contracts you can’t back load or spread them out. For the sake of this article, lets just place Trubisky’s cap hit at 5 million.

Mason Cole – Cole signed a 3 year contract worth 15.75 million, with 11 million in the first two seasons. So that 11 million has to be split up between the first two seasons. His cap hit can vary as mentioned with Trubisky so lets error on the low side again. We will say he costs 3.5 million against the 2022 cap.

Ahkello Witherspoon – His contract was 2 years for 8 million. The exact same as fellow cornerback Levi Wallace. If we use the same numbers as Wallace, Witherspoon will count 2.9 million against the salary cap in 2022.

Montravius Adams – Adams deal was 2 years for 5 million. Taking a guess, but with his limited time with the team I’m guessing they put more money in year two in case they’d like to move on from him after 2022. So let’s say he counts 1.25 million against the 2022 cap.

Adding together those projections it comes to 12.65 million. Now because only the top 51 players count towards the salary cap you’d have to substract the contracts for the bottom 4 players. That would be about 3.5 million.

So in the end the Steelers have roughly 9.15 million less than Spotrac, or OverTheCap are reporting. That puts them around 12 million in cap room, but they need roughly 8 million to sign their rookie class.

If they want to make any more deals they’re going to have to restructure some contracts. That could be very easily done with Cam Heyward, and TJ Watt. So keep an eye on some movement from that front. Spotrac, and OTC should update sometime in the next few days so keep an eye out.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Tuitt as a post-June 1 cut saves $9 million. Not sure what Minkah's cap hit is right now but resigning him could reduce his hit for this year. The same could be said for DJ.

Yeah I saw a video on this yesterday, & was like well if we have 21 million why haven't we signed the Honey Badger yet ? The fact the guy said those 2 sites said we still have 21 million after a spending spree sure didn't make sense...

Good info on this one, as it clears up why they haven't signed the Honey Badger

They do not need 8mil to sign their rookies. Actually it is about half of that.

They still have about 5 mil to spend if you figure in what they like to have available pre 53.

They can tweak 3 contracts to get about 22/23 mil.

Money isn't an issue this year.

I'm hearing there's around $11.5-12.5 million cap space left, plenty for one more solid signing structured in a cap friendly way for 2022, which would leave enough left over for the rookies. We could also restructure a few contracts if needed but that may not even be necessary.

I'm hearing there's around $11.5-12.5 million cap space left, plenty for one more solid signing structured in a cap friendly way for 2022, which would leave enough left over for the rookies. We could also restructure a few contracts if needed but that may not even be necessary.
Depends on what they want to do but definitely enough for a SS.

speaking of

So this means one more S off the market but at the same time one less club in the hunt for Edmunds or the Honey Badger.

He was an option I wanted
Depends on what they want to do but definitely enough for a SS.

speaking of

So this means one more S off the market but at the same time one less club in the hunt for Edmunds or the Honey Badger.

He was an option I wanted
Yeah me too. I thought he had potential to upgrade Edmunds. Little surprised the Steelers are dragging their toes at the position.