• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Steelers Haven’t Exactly Found Success at Drafting CBs; That Could Change With One of These Prospects

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This off-season, the Pittsburgh Steelers have done a nice job of bolstering their secondary. The arrival of Levi Wallace and the return of Ahkello Witherspoon provide the Steelers with a solid base to build on, giving them the flexibility to not reach on a cornerback at pick 20 in the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft.

Steelers Ahkello Witherspoon

Steelers cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon during pregame warmups at Heinz Field in 2021. | Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

The Steelers have a good group of guys and I would feel relatively comfortable if they went into Week 1 with Wallace and Witherspoon on the outside and Cam Sutton in the nickel. However, this Steelers defense is missing one key component: a genuine CB1.

The Steelers need a true #1 cornerback​

The Steelers lack a lockdown corner capable of covering one side of the field. They need a Jalen Ramsey or Jaire Alexander type player to shut down their side of the field and make opposing offenses’ lives difficult. Fortunately for them, this draft is filled with excellent cornerbacks, and in this article, I’ll list four CBs that I would love for Pittsburgh to select at pick 20, along with a quick rundown on each player.

Ahmad ‘Sauce’ Gardner

Although there is a 0% chance of this happening, the Steelers would win the draft if they were able to secure Gardner. Gardner, a top-five player, would give Pittsburgh a lockdown cornerback and a true CB1. He hasn’t given up a touchdown in his college career, and he hasn’t given up more than 13 yards to any receiver in a single game this past season. This would be a dream pick for the Steelers.

Derek Stingley Jr.

Derek Stingley, another unlikely candidate, is next on my list. Stingley is a versatile cornerback out of LSU who can play in a number of formations. This type of adaptability is highly sought after in the NFL, and it would undoubtedly be appreciated in Pittsburgh. The Steelers sent the house to LSU’s Pro Day, primarily for Stingley and for good reason. He’s an athletically gifted corner who, on any given week, can shut down the opposing receiver. However, he has injury concerns, which could cause him to slide during the draft. Nonetheless, I still think he’s a top 10 player in this draft and he should be drafted as such. This would be another dream pick for the Steelers.

Trent McDuffie

Trent McDuffie is an underrated prospect who is being overshadowed by the likes of Gardner and Stingley. Due to his performance this past season, McDuffie should be considered among the best corners in the draft. McDuffie is a physical cornerback who excels at both pass defense and run defense. He matches the Steelers’ profile for a defensive back, and if he’s available at 20, don’t be surprised if he’s the pick.

Steelers Booth Jr

Cornerback Andrew Booth Jr plays tight coverage against Florida State. / Blue Chip Scouting

Andrew Booth Jr.

Andrew Booth is a promising young player. Prior to his injury, Booth was seen as a sure-fire first-round pick, and the Steelers’ decision to choose him at 20 was unthinkable. Now there’s a possibility that he falls to the 2nd round. Booth is another powerful cornerback who can cover both the pass and the run (see a pattern here?). Booth is a great player, and I think Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin can help him realize his full potential. They sent the entire house to Clemson’s Pro Day, and all indications are that Booth is the guy they’re after.

If Pittsburgh were to come away with any of these four guys, I would be extremely happy with the pick. Each of these four players has the potential to fill the role of shutdown cornerback that the Steelers are currently lacking. Sure, Pittsburgh has other needs to address, but when you’re competing in a division with players like Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Amari Cooper, Marquise Brown, and others, you need a defense that can match up against them. Getting one of the aforementioned guys will provide the Steelers with an immediate defensive upgrade.

Who would you like to see Pittsburgh draft in the first round? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I want them to draft a future HOFer. Regardless of position or their lack of ability to draft at any position.

This off-season, the Pittsburgh Steelers have done a nice job of bolstering their secondary. The arrival of Levi Wallace and the return of Ahkello Witherspoon provide the Steelers with a solid base to build on, giving them the flexibility to not reach on a cornerback at pick 20 in the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft.

Steelers Ahkello Witherspoon

Steelers cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon during pregame warmups at Heinz Field in 2021. | Twitter: @JSKO_PHOTO

The Steelers have a good group of guys and I would feel relatively comfortable if they went into Week 1 with Wallace and Witherspoon on the outside and Cam Sutton in the nickel. However, this Steelers defense is missing one key component: a genuine CB1.

The Steelers need a true #1 cornerback​

The Steelers lack a lockdown corner capable of covering one side of the field. They need a Jalen Ramsey or Jaire Alexander type player to shut down their side of the field and make opposing offenses’ lives difficult. Fortunately for them, this draft is filled with excellent cornerbacks, and in this article, I’ll list four CBs that I would love for Pittsburgh to select at pick 20, along with a quick rundown on each player.

Ahmad ‘Sauce’ Gardner

Although there is a 0% chance of this happening, the Steelers would win the draft if they were able to secure Gardner. Gardner, a top-five player, would give Pittsburgh a lockdown cornerback and a true CB1. He hasn’t given up a touchdown in his college career, and he hasn’t given up more than 13 yards to any receiver in a single game this past season. This would be a dream pick for the Steelers.

Derek Stingley Jr.

Derek Stingley, another unlikely candidate, is next on my list. Stingley is a versatile cornerback out of LSU who can play in a number of formations. This type of adaptability is highly sought after in the NFL, and it would undoubtedly be appreciated in Pittsburgh. The Steelers sent the house to LSU’s Pro Day, primarily for Stingley and for good reason. He’s an athletically gifted corner who, on any given week, can shut down the opposing receiver. However, he has injury concerns, which could cause him to slide during the draft. Nonetheless, I still think he’s a top 10 player in this draft and he should be drafted as such. This would be another dream pick for the Steelers.

Trent McDuffie

Trent McDuffie is an underrated prospect who is being overshadowed by the likes of Gardner and Stingley. Due to his performance this past season, McDuffie should be considered among the best corners in the draft. McDuffie is a physical cornerback who excels at both pass defense and run defense. He matches the Steelers’ profile for a defensive back, and if he’s available at 20, don’t be surprised if he’s the pick.

Steelers Booth Jr

Cornerback Andrew Booth Jr plays tight coverage against Florida State. / Blue Chip Scouting

Andrew Booth Jr.

Andrew Booth is a promising young player. Prior to his injury, Booth was seen as a sure-fire first-round pick, and the Steelers’ decision to choose him at 20 was unthinkable. Now there’s a possibility that he falls to the 2nd round. Booth is another powerful cornerback who can cover both the pass and the run (see a pattern here?). Booth is a great player, and I think Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin can help him realize his full potential. They sent the entire house to Clemson’s Pro Day, and all indications are that Booth is the guy they’re after.

If Pittsburgh were to come away with any of these four guys, I would be extremely happy with the pick. Each of these four players has the potential to fill the role of shutdown cornerback that the Steelers are currently lacking. Sure, Pittsburgh has other needs to address, but when you’re competing in a division with players like Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Amari Cooper, Marquise Brown, and others, you need a defense that can match up against them. Getting one of the aforementioned guys will provide the Steelers with an immediate defensive upgrade.

Who would you like to see Pittsburgh draft in the first round? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Couldn’t like this post more, maybe if you could add SN profile links to the thread would be amazing. Any of these guys would be inmediate help