• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The "Supreme" Court is a sham

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
This is just the first case to solidify the resolve to not nominate Obummer's lefty wingnut.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-deadlock-preserves-some-compulsory-union-dues-1459261934

Supreme Court Split Shields Compulsory Public Union Dues in More Than 20 States
High court votes 4-4 in the wake of Justice Antonin Scalia’s death
The U.S. Supreme Court, without the late Antonin Scalia, deadlocked 4-4 on whether public sector workers who object to union membership should be required to pay union fees. That hands the unions a major victory. WSJ’s Jason Bellini reports. Photo: Getty

WASHINGTON—Public employee unions survived a threat to their power in nearly half the country Tuesday as the Supreme Court deadlocked on a lawsuit designed to abolish their ability to require compulsory dues in more than 20 states.

The 4-4 vote is the most dramatic consequence yet of last month’s death of Justice Antonin Scalia. His comments at January’s arguments suggested he would have voted to overrule a 1977 precedent allowing public employee unions to collect mandatory dues from represented workers if authorized by state law.
Related

First Senate Republican Meets With Supreme Court Nominee Garland
Protracted Eight-Member Supreme Court Could Stymie Rulings on Host of Issues (Feb. 17)
Scalia’s Absence Shifts Dynamics of Supreme Court (Feb. 14)
Supreme Court Shows Signs of Ruling Against Mandatory Public-Sector Union Fees (Jan. 11)
Unions Work to Retain, Add Members Ahead of Possible Supreme Court Loss (Jan. 11)
Supreme Court to Weigh Public-Sector Union Dues (Jan. 10)

The split keeps in place a lower-court ruling favoring unions in a case brought by the Christian Educators Association International and nine California teachers. The case, had the challengers won, would have altered the national legal landscape for public-sector union fees.

The court offered no detailed explanation about the outcome or vote count, saying in a one-line opinion, “The judgment is affirmed by an equally divided court.”

There was little doubt that the justices split along right/left ideological lines. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito voted against the unions; Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan sided with them.

The decision highlighted the stakes for filling the court’s vacancy, coming a few hours before President Barack Obama’s nominee—Chief Judge Merrick Garland of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit—was to have his first meeting with a Republican senator, Mark Kirk of Illinois.

The court’s conservative majority in recent years had signaled it was ready to reconsider the 1977 precedent, which in effect extended to public employees a collective-bargaining framework similar to that enjoyed by private-sector workers. Under it, states are permitted to authorize agency-shop agreements requiring all workers represented by a union to pay it dues or, if they object to membership, a fee to cover collective bargaining expenses.

“With the death of Justice Scalia, this outcome was not unexpected,” said Terry Pell, the president of the Center for Individual Rights, the advocacy group that brought the case. “We believe this case is too significant to let a split decision stand and we will file a petition for rehearing with the Supreme Court.”

Because it takes five votes to rehear a case, the Supreme Court is unlikely to grant such a petition in the near future. It is rare for the court to agree to rehear a case at the request of the losing party. If they don’t dismiss the petition outright, the justices would almost certainly hold it for action until a new justice is seated, which might not happen until mid-2017. At least one other lawsuit raising a similar issue is pending in the lower courts, but its prospects likewise are dim until the Supreme Court again has nine justices.

“The Supreme Court today rejected a political ploy by the wealthy corporate special interests backing this case to make it harder for working families and the middle class to come together, speak up and get ahead,” said Eric Heins, president of the California Teachers Association.

Advocates of the system say it prevents “free riders” who benefit from pay raises, job-security clauses and other contractual rights achieved through collective bargaining without paying their fair share of the costs.

The 1977 case only requires employees to pay their share of collective bargaining costs. They may opt-out of other charges and obtain a prorated refund for union-election expenditures and other activities beyond the core function of negotiating and enforcing contracts.

More than 20 states have laws authorizing such agency fees, predominantly in Democratic strongholds such as California, New York and Illinois. Public employee unions in those states make up an important part of the Democratic Party base, and a loss could have eviscerated the political power of those unions.

Conservatives challengers argued that nearly any communications to a government entity such as a school board or city council, including a collective bargaining proposal, amounts to political speech which falls under special First Amendment rules, raising a novel theory aimed at public-sector unions.

Requiring objectors to pay a fee for collective bargaining, they argued, was compelled speech and therefore unconstitutional.

Write to Jess Bravin at jess.bravin@wsj.com

Last edited:
If I had to do it over again, I would pursue a job that is represented by a union and funded by the tax payer. Great benefits, every imaginable holiday off, no competition.

I wouldn't want to be part of a union and pay dues even if I did work for the gubmint.

If I had to do it over again, I would pursue a job that is represented by a union and funded by the tax payer. Great benefits, every imaginable holiday off, no competition.

Spoken like a true libtard. No ambition, no desire and always looking for handouts.

I called my Senator and reiterated that I support denying approval of Obummer's nominee.

There are good unions and bad ones... They need cleaned up a bit if they are to continue imo.. Collecting union dues on minimum wage jobs shoukd be illegal, for instance, same with cba raises below the cost of living increases.. There are a ton in bed with corporations who screw the people in them ... There are good ones too though.

Trumps going to get "real" union voters.

I don't consider a union built against some imaginary "evil" tax funded government as a real union. All they are are perverse leaches sucking off everyone/everything in our society that we can't afford already. We can't buy $100 worth of supplies for students anymore but God forbid we talk about changing pensions on people that work 20 years and want pensions for 20 more and can "retire" at age 55....

So the left screams and has nervous breakdowns about Citizens United but public sector unions pouring money into Democrat campaigns are okay? Expecting dues from unwilling employees is okay?

I think the answer is simple.

Among public sector workers in the US, 35.7 percent belong to unions, compared to 6.6 percent in the private sector, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Roughly three-quarters of the estimated 7.2 million public sector union members are in states without "right-to-work" laws.

The path is a different story, unfortunately. If all the States were to pass "right to work" laws, the problem of political corruption would lessen considerably. Alas, the problem with that is that those States that still have strong public sector union presence are run by Democrats and those Democrats get big chunks of money and votes from those unions.

Despite his famous no-blue-states-no-red-states-just-the-United-States statement, more than 90 percent of the top 300 administration officials come from states carried last year by President Obama. The inner cabinet—the key officials—hail almost entirely from a handful of cities, starting with Chicago but also including New York, Los Angeles, and the San Francisco area.

This administration shares all the basic prejudices of the Blue Man including his instinctive distaste for “sprawl,” cars, and factories. In contrast, policy is tilting to favor all the basic blue-state economic food groups—public employees, university researchers, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Wall Street, and the major urban land interests.

Blue-state politicians also dominated both parties, either directly or behind the scenes.

Public sector employees initially played a positive role, assuring that the basic infrastructure—schools, roads, subways, sewers, water, and other basic sinews of society and the economy—functioned properly. But as much of the private economy moved out of places such as New York, Illinois, and, more recently, California, public sector employment began to grow as an end to itself. In California alone state pensions are now $200 billion underfunded.

There is a glimmer of hope. These demographic and economic trends will have a long-term political impact. The net in-migration states—almost all of them red—will gain new representatives in Congress after the next census while New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and perhaps even California could see their delegations shrink.

Ultimately, more people in blue states will begin to realize that their states need to learn again how to compete against both their red counterparts and the rest of the world and anger over the emerging privileged class of public workers may well gain traction.

I think the answer is simple.

The path is a different story, unfortunately. If all the States were to pass "right to work" laws, the problem of political corruption would lessen considerably. Alas, the problem with that is that those States that still have strong public sector union presence are run by Democrats and those Democrats get big chunks of money and votes from those unions.

Despite his famous no-blue-states-no-red-states-just-the-United-States statement, more than 90 percent of the top 300 administration officials come from states carried last year by President Obama. The inner cabinet—the key officials—hail almost entirely from a handful of cities, starting with Chicago but also including New York, Los Angeles, and the San Francisco area.

This administration shares all the basic prejudices of the Blue Man including his instinctive distaste for “sprawl,” cars, and factories. In contrast, policy is tilting to favor all the basic blue-state economic food groups—public employees, university researchers, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, Wall Street, and the major urban land interests.

Blue-state politicians also dominated both parties, either directly or behind the scenes.

Public sector employees initially played a positive role, assuring that the basic infrastructure—schools, roads, subways, sewers, water, and other basic sinews of society and the economy—functioned properly. But as much of the private economy moved out of places such as New York, Illinois, and, more recently, California, public sector employment began to grow as an end to itself. In California alone state pensions are now $200 billion underfunded.

There is a glimmer of hope. These demographic and economic trends will have a long-term political impact. The net in-migration states—almost all of them red—will gain new representatives in Congress after the next census while New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and perhaps even California could see their delegations shrink.

Ultimately, more people in blue states will begin to realize that their states need to learn again how to compete against both their red counterparts and the rest of the world and anger over the emerging privileged class of public workers may well gain traction.

Trump say what?

Trump say what?

Eggzackery..........

sharpton-sanders-pay-the-check.jpg

Last edited:

Don't forget the pensions! My brother is a fireman and my cousin a cop both in the same city. They get to retire after 25 years of service, and the pension starts immediately after. This means they get roughly $3500 a month until they put them in the ground. My brother will be 50 when he is eligible to retire and my cousin will be 47. Now they will both argue that they paid 12% of their pay every week so that pension has been funded with their own money. But when you retire at 50 and 47 respectively, there is a chance they could be drawing those pension checks for the next 30 years. If my cousin lives to be 80, for example, that means a $3500 check every month for 33 years!!! That amounts to $42000 a year or $1,386,000 for 33 years. I'm no mathematician, but I highly doubt that 12% per paycheck will cover the $1,386,000 the city will be on the hook for should he live that long. It's insane that these terms were agreed to back whenever it was they were negotiated. People should not be collecting a pension at 47 years old. I know it will surprise many of you that I, one of the hated democrats that posts here, but this is one issue I somewhat agree with the republicans on..... Politicians should not be able to make deals with other people's money. Private sector unions have their place and did much to help build the middle class, but public sector unions don't work because the politicians are negotiating with money that ain't theirs so what do they care if they give away way more than they should. They get votes for giving away shot that belongs to someone else.

For someone who is age 65, you'd want to have about 515,000 in the account at age 65 to fund 42,000/year. That is assuming they will earn 5% on their money every year. If you earn less than 5%, you will run out of money.

If you start that same benefit at age 50 (and earn 5%), you'd need $675,000. You have it correct that a 50 year old could be expected to live about 33-34 years, if healthy.

One issue about firemen and policemen is that, at age 50, they may be plenty healthy. I don't know what their life expectancy is though, and I used a generic table. My instinct is that at some later age, they may go downhill pretty quickly.

My father-in-law retired from his school teacher job at 53 with full benefits. My mom got 80% of her salary after 25 years as a school administrator.

Growing up, I was led to believe the big bucks were in the private sector, they never mentioned benefits and they never knew retirement benefits would mostly disappear or health insurance premiums would go through the roof and be kicked backed to employees.

So yeah, if I had to do it over again...

My father-in-law retired from his school teacher job at 53 with full benefits. My mom got 80% of her salary after 25 years as a school administrator.

Growing up, I was led to believe the big bucks were in the private sector, they never mentioned benefits and they never knew retirement benefits would mostly disappear or health insurance premiums would go through the roof and be kicked backed to employees.

So yeah, if I had to do it over again...

Same here. Own a business they said. You'll build wealth they said. You'll have an asset to sell they said. Pfffft.....