• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

'The unbearable smugness of the press' - the soul-searching begins

Spike

Reaction score
The mood in the Washington press corps is bleak, and deservedly so.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that, with a few exceptions, we were all tacitly or explicitly #WithHer, which has led to a certain anguish in the face of Donald Trump’s victory. More than that and more importantly, we also missed the story, after having spent months mocking the people who had a better sense of what was going on.

This is all symptomatic of modern journalism’s great moral and intellectual failing: its unbearable smugness. Had Hillary Clinton won, there’d be a winking “we did it” feeling in the press, a sense that we were brave and called Trump a liar and saved the republic.

So much for that. The audience for our glib analysis and contempt for much of the electorate, it turned out, was rather limited. This was particularly true when it came to voters, the ones who turned out by the millions to deliver not only a rebuke to the political system but also the people who cover it. Trump knew what he was doing when he invited his crowds to jeer and hiss the reporters covering him. They hate us, and have for some time.

And can you blame them? Journalists love mocking Trump supporters. We insult their appearances. We dismiss them as racists and sexists. We emote on Twitter about how this or that comment or policy makes us feel one way or the other, and yet we reject their feelings as invalid.

We diagnose them as racists in the way Dark Age clerics confused medical problems with demonic possession. Journalists, at our worst, see ourselves as a priestly caste. We believe we not only have access to the indisputable facts, but also a greater truth, a system of beliefs divined from an advanced understanding of justice.

You’d think that Trump’s victory – the one we all discounted too far in advance – would lead to a certain newfound humility in the political press. But of course that’s not how it works. To us, speaking broadly, our diagnosis was still basically correct. The demons were just stronger than we realized.

This is all a “whitelash,” you see. Trump voters are racist and sexist, so there must be more racists and sexists than we realized. Tuesday night’s outcome was not a logic-driven rejection of a deeply flawed candidate named Clinton; no, it was a primal scream against fairness, equality, and progress. Let the new tantrums commence!

That’s the fantasy, the idea that if we mock them enough, call them racist enough, they’ll eventually shut up and get in line. It’s similar to how media Twitter works, a system where people who dissent from the proper framing of a story are attacked by mobs of smugly incredulous pundits. Journalists exist primarily in a world where people can get shouted down and disappear, which informs our attitudes toward all disagreement.

Journalists increasingly don’t even believe in the possibility of reasoned disagreement, and as such ascribe cynical motives to those who think about things a different way. We see this in the ongoing veneration of “facts,” the ones peddled by explainer websites and data journalists who believe themselves to be curiously post-ideological.

That the explainers and data journalists so frequently get things hilariously wrong never invites the soul-searching you’d think it would. Instead, it all just somehow leads us to more smugness, more meanness, more certainty from the reporters and pundits. Faced with defeat, we retreat further into our bubble, assumptions left unchecked. No, it’s the voters who are wrong.

As a direct result, we get it wrong with greater frequency. Out on the road, we forget to ask the right questions. We can’t even imagine the right question. We go into assignments too certain that what we find will serve to justify our biases. The public’s estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.

There’s a place for opinionated journalism; in fact, it’s vital. But our causal, profession-wide smugness and protestations of superiority are making us unable to do it well.

Our theme now should be humility. We must become more impartial, not less so. We have to abandon our easy culture of tantrums and recrimination. We have to stop writing these know-it-all, 140-character sermons on social media and admit that, as a class, journalists have a shamefully limited understanding of the country we cover.

What’s worse, we don’t make much of an effort to really understand, and with too few exceptions, treat the economic grievances of Middle America like they’re some sort of punchline. Sometimes quite literally so, such as when reporters tweet out a photo of racist-looking Trump supporters and jokingly suggest that they must be upset about free trade or low wages.

We have to fix this, and the broken reasoning behind it. There’s a fleeting fun to gang-ups and groupthink. But it’s not worth what we are losing in the process.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/comment...ness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/

------------------------

good read!

The exact same things apply to academia. I call it a superiority complex.

Reactions: MTC

Absolutely, that's why the Michael Moore's and Bernie Sanders understand middle America far better than the shocked ivory tower professors crawling all over CNN now, crying how their worldview was rejected. The elites east coast bubble of superiority just got popped and they still refuse to accept it.

http://www.newsmax.com/JonahGoldberg/biden/2016/11/11/id/758475/#

Obama Paved the Way for Clinton's Defeat

By Jonah Goldberg
While many are starting to grasp the enormity of Donald Trump's victory, few seem interested in coming to grips with the significance of Hillary Clinton's defeat.

It's understandable, for several reasons. Pretty much everyone was shocked by his victory, but liberals clearly are still in one of the early stages of grief.

One of the main reasons Trump won is that he's fascinating — to friends and foes alike.

Clinton managed to be boring even when it was widely believed she'd be the next president of the United States. She won't become more compelling as a civilian living in Chappaqua, New York. Meanwhile, he's going to be the leader of the free world, with appointments to make and pronouncements to give.

Lastly, Clinton lost graciously, giving arguably her finest speech the day after the election.

Who wants to rub salt in the wound?

But Clinton's defeat is worth contemplating, because it's crucial to understanding not just Trump's victory but the profound damage Barack Obama has wrought on the Democratic Party.

John Podhoretz put it well in a recent column for The New York Post. "The most important political story during the nearly eight years of the Obama presidency is how that presidency delivered a neutron-bomb strike to his party," Podhoretz wrote. "Obama and the political structure of America have been left standing — but nearly 1,000 Democratic officeholders have been defeated."

For all the talk of the coming Republican civil war and how changing demography has rendered the GOP a relic, it emerged from this week's election arguably the strongest it has been since the 1920s.

Particularly thanks to Obamacare, which has never been popular, the Democrats lost the House in 2010. In 2014, they lost the Senate. In 2009, Democrats held 60 seats in the Senate. They have 48 now.

The damage in governor's mansions and state legislatures has been even more dramatic. Podhoretz points to a pre-election analysis by Governing magazine's Louis Jacobson. "Democratic losses in the Senate have so far reached 22 percent, 27 percent in the House, 36 percent in governorships and a stunning 59 percent in fully controlled state legislatures," Jacobson wrote.

But that only gives you one facet of the problem. Everyone is focusing on Trump's success at winning outsized numbers of white working-class voters. Left unexamined is the fact that these voters were getable by any Republican, even a maverick like Trump.

The white working class is the historic backbone of the Democratic Party. Republicans, including Barry Goldwater, always won a majority of college-educated whites. But the Joe Sixpack and Charlie Lunchbucket voters are the ones who gave us the New Deal, the Great Society and the Democratic Party as we know it. And Trump took them out of the Democratic column.

Liberals want to claim that racism explains it all. That's a hard claim to square with the fact that a great many of the blue-collar counties that favored Barack Obama — the first black president, in case you hadn't heard — by double digits also favored Trump by double digits.

The fact that so many liberals went straight to this explanation gives you a sense of why the Democrats lost the white working class in the first place. The Democratic Party went crazy for issues that appeal to the new Democratic base: campus leftists, affluent cosmopolitan whites and racial minorities.

One obvious example is diversity. There's nothing wrong with placing a high value on racial, sexual and gender inclusion. But Democrats have earned the reputation of being obsessed with it to the exclusion of bread-and-butter issues.

Moreover, by constantly invoking the primacy of identity politics for minorities and immigrants, they encouraged many whites to see themselves as an aggrieved racial or religious constituency. That genie will be hard to get back into the bottle.

The same goes for the environment. When Clinton boasted that her energy plan was going to "put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business," you could almost hear FDR, Truman and LBJ (and poor Joe Biden) smacking their foreheads in disbelief. This isn't a point about what the right policy is; it's solely about politics. Democrats used to be the party that fought for the little guy.

Obama's ace in the hole was always his charisma. His Achilles' heel was its non-transferability. His coattails were short and his endorsements worthless.

Clinton lost because she ran as an Obama Democrat without Obama's charm.

And that just isn't enough.

How about, HC is a criminal and maybe, just maybe some people realized that.

Are you in the wrong thread?

I'm talking about journalists here

Absolutely, that's why the Michael Moore's and Bernie Sanders understand middle America far better than the shocked ivory tower professors crawling all over CNN now, crying how their worldview was rejected. The elites east coast bubble of superiority just got popped and they still refuse to accept it.

Agreed to both yinz

The Wikileaks information showed just how in bed major networks are with Democrats. Forwarding debate questions, having dinners together on the sly, sending questions to a network to ask the opposition candidate, accepting substantial donations from these media members ... it is frankly ridiculous.

Watching these media (D) lapdogs do their work made it clear to me how much they had sold their soul to become (D) butt-buddies, and the Wikileaks information simply proved how corrupt these assclowns have been. Their time as being relevant is almost done. The internet and Neflix make ABC, CBS, CNN, blah, blah, completely irrelevant.

And it could not happen to a nicer group of guys.

yeah, all this "uneducated" voters supported Trump bullshit. I know many men and women who never went to college who are way ******* smarter than many college educated twits... Journalists are supposed to be unbiased, but none of them exist anymore. The media talking heads and newspaper writers all drink at the liberal water cooler and look down on the masses...

yeah, all this "uneducated" voters supported Trump bullshit. I know many men and women who never went to college who are way ******* smarter than many college educated twits... Journalists are supposed to be unbiased, but none of them exist anymore. The media talking heads and newspaper writers all drink at the liberal water cooler and look down on the masses...

There are other reasons why Trump won besides the Left dissing the middle class, not nearly as prominent but relevant none the less. One of my focuses was the pussification and indoctrination of our education system.

It’s everywhere. A professor at University of Michigan postponed an exam after too many students complained about their “very serious” stress. Columbia University postponed midterms, a Yale University professor made an exam optional, a University of Iowa professor canceled classes and a University of Connecticut professor excused class absences — all because their students just absolutely could not function knowing that they’d have to live in a country where their president would not be the president that they wanted. And it’s not even just the students — a University of Rochester professor canceled all of his meetings with students the day after the election because he decided he just could not bear to talk about it with them.
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442083/donald-trump-school-closing-2016

Do any of these people realize that this kind of behavior is exactly why Donald Trump won? The initial appeal of Donald Trump was that he served as a long-awaited contrast to the infantilization and absurd demands for political correctness and “safe spaces” sweeping our society, and the way these people are responding is only reminding Trump voters why they did what they did.

Throughout the campaign, the mere sight of “Trump 2016” written in chalk was enough for students to demand a safe space.

Sooner or later, these people will have to realize that no one owes it to you to care, and that expecting society to revolve around your own personal feelings means you have an even bigger ego than the Donald himself.

oh the pain it must have caused them to make this cover

Cw15mPNW8AAV_3o.jpg

I think that the thing that is the most nervy and outrageous from the smug media is their pronouncements that they know better than we do what is best for us. When in fact, they **** the bed on a regular basis and have no place telling others how to live. This infuriates me more than almost anything else because not only are they stupid, they are flat out wrong.

I think that the thing that is the most nervy and outrageous from the smug media is their pronouncements that they know better than we do what is best for us. When in fact, they **** the bed on a regular basis and have no place telling others how to live. This infuriates me more than almost anything else because not only are they stupid, they are flat out wrong.

"It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so."

/s Ronald Reagan

Reminds me of the old story from 1972 when some Manhattan socialite said "I don't understand how Nixon could have won. I don't know anyone who voted for him."
Yes, I'm sure you didn't.

Last edited:
That dumbass from CNN that kept on clicking on Ohio and Michigan over and over his head was about to explode. That was a great video.

Milo at the press pool at the Trump victory party.

I think it has something to do with the highly educated having absolutely zero common sense. Book smart? Maybe. Real life smart? Not so much.

Reminds me of the old story from 1972 when some Manhattan socialite said "I don't understand how Nixon could have won. I don't know anyone who voted for him."
Yes, I'm sure you didn't.

I travel a ton. I work in areas of high union concentration... I have never seen the dirth of democratic voters like i did this year... I warned my socialite dem friends of this, they pooh poohed it all... And now they are outraged and upset

I travel a ton. I work in areas of high union concentration... I have never seen the dirth of democratic voters like i did this year... I warned my socialite dem friends of this, they pooh poohed it all... And now they are outraged and upset

The United Mine Workers couldn't quite bring themselves to endorse a Republican but they withheld and did not endorse anyone. Which speaks volumes.

The United Mine Workers couldn't quite bring themselves to endorse a Republican but they withheld and did not endorse anyone. Which speaks volumes.

Clinton basically told the coal workers she was putting them out of business but then tried to stem the bleeding by promising imaginary jobs in some yet to be determined field. She was in bed with the corporations that have drained jobs from this country for a few bucks of savings using near slave labor in china... i mean she is a former Wal Mart board member for crying out loud.... she epitimized every non union principle there was... and the Dems attack strategy on Trump was never going to play well to that segment... they are as unPC and rough as they come.

Idiotically shortsighted move there... the union vote was the margin of error in the Obama victories.

Who's laughing now

yes - I am!

hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

My favorite part is Ann Coulter, as serious as a heart attack, and the other buffoons just laughing at her. It's gold, Jerry! Gold!!

I'm watching Tucker Carlson on Fox News right now. It's his debute, replacing douchey Brit Hume. So far so good. He might be a keeper.