• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Undeniable Steelers QB1: Welcome to the Mitchburgh!

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The past few weeks have been filled with news regarding who the Pittsburgh Steelers will take in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Most of the speculation has been around the idea of the Steelers drafting a quarterback, and they sure have met with many of them.

While fans and pundits alike have thrown out names like Malik Willis, Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder, and Matt Corral just to name a few, the name some have lost focus on already is Mitch Trubisky.

Steelers Mitchell Trubisky

The Steelers signed Mitchell Trubisky on the first day of the NFL FA tampering period back in March of 2022. | Twitter: @NFL

Is it entirely possible that one of the quarterbacks in the draft this year become the next face of the Steelers franchise for years to come? Sure, it could happen…

Is it also entirely possible that Trubisky comes in and eliminates the need to spend a first round draft pick on a quarterback in a class that hasn’t been as highly touted as in years past? Absolutely…

Fans and media alike oftentimes become enthralled with the possibility of finding the next “guy.” The player that alters the course of your franchise for the better, and that’s never more true than when it comes to talking about quarterbacks.

With all the talk that surrounds the Steelers replacing future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger, I ask the question, why can’t it be Mitch Trubisky?

Let’s say the Steelers don’t go quarterback in the first round, can Trubisky be “The Guy” for this team? I believe he can be.

In four years with the Chicago Bears, Trubisky threw for 10,609 yards while completing 64.1% of his passes for 64 touchdowns to 38 interceptions, while posting a QBR of 87.0. In addition, Trubisky also rushed for 1,087 yards and found the end zone eight times.

A 27-year-old quarterback with size, mobility, and the ability to improvise, where else have Steelers fans seen this before I wonder?

Steelers Mitch Trubisky

Dec 20, 2020; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (10) runs with the ball during the second quarter against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

I’m not saying that Trubisky is the next Roethlisberger, however, I am saying that it’s easy to get wrapped up in the “what’s next” when talking about finding a quarterback, that you miss what’s in front of you.

There’s certainly questions to be answered on what Trubisky will be able to do in Pittsburgh, but don’t be so quick to view him as the “filler” in between Roethlisberger and the next “guy.”

Steelers are pulling in a proven veteran into an even better situation​

Not buying it? Maybe take a look at what the Bears have done before and since. Take into account the newfound stability that comes with playing for the Steelers. Observe the new coaching staff that Trubisky will playing under. A solid running game featuring Najee Harris that will allow Trubisky to improvise outside of the pocket, along with improvements to the offensive line to keep his jersey clean. Options that include Chase Claypool, Pat Freiermuth, and Diontae Johnson. Not to mention the fact that he spent all last season learning from OC (Now Head Coach of the New York Giants) Brian Daboll, and arguably the best quarterback in the NFL, Josh Allen.

All of these factors complemented with one of the league’s best defenses puts Trubisky in a position to succeed in the black & gold.

Trubisky has the tools to succeed as a starter, he’s shown that in Chicago. I understand why the questions exist, but he’s our quarterback, and before we jump right into what we as fans might feel is the next best thing, I think we ought to be asking ourselves, “how much noise can Mitch Trubisky make for this team this year?”

I think by seasons end, you might be seeing more “Mitchburgh” shirts than previously anticipated, and I’m a believer in #10.

Check out some sweet Trubisky highlights here while you’re at it.

What do you think? Will Mitch Trubisky play well enough to win the QB1 job for the foreseeable future? Can he be “The Guy” for the Steelers? How do you feel about taking or skipping on a QB in the first round? Let us know in the comment section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I'm hoping they don't draft a QB this year. At least give Mitch a full year in our system especially after he got to sit last year behind Allen. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he can do. We just need to hope Canada can figure out how to run an offense, game plan, and make adjustments during the season and in games. If not, the O will look just like it did last year but without Ben doing his magic to bring us back in the 2nd halves for most of our wins.

I'm hoping they don't draft a QB this year. At least give Mitch a full year in our system especially after he got to sit last year behind Allen. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he can do. We just need to hope Canada can figure out how to run an offense, game plan, and make adjustments during the season and in games. If not, the O will look just like it did last year but without Ben doing his magic to bring us back in the 2nd halves for most of our wins.

I have zero faith in O'Canada but a lot of HOPE in his successs.

I have confidence in Mitch and like many HOPE O'Canada can pull of the biggest improvement in the NFL, be a decent OC.

Salute the nation

I have zero faith in O'Canada but a lot of HOPE in his successs.

I have confidence in Mitch and like many HOPE O'Canada can pull of the biggest improvement in the NFL, be a decent OC.

Salute the nation
Exactly where I am at. If we get a few games in to the season, looking like idiots, hopefully Canada will be shown the north border, and Cool Shades calls the shots.

Can you believe I want Cool Shades over Canada? Tells you where I am at with it all.

Exactly where I am at. If we get a few games in to the season, looking like idiots, hopefully Canada will be shown the north border, and Cool Shades calls the shots.

Can you believe I want Cool Shades over Canada? Tells you where I am at with it all.

It would have to be monumental fail worse than last year and I think we have shored up the talent to even then NOT be as bad as last year. They didn't fire him even with last year's performance so I'm pretty sure we are stuck at least another year.

As for Coach Tomlin calling the Offense,......... well it seems he sure wears a lot of hats, current or futuristic.

Salute the nation

If we get to the point where Canada is jettisoned, I think Mike Sullivan (Steelers QB Coach, not Penguins HC) would take over as OC. He has previous experience in the position in Tampa and with the Giants.

I think Mitch has the potential to lead the offense.
I think the O-Line has been upgraded from last year ( I know, that’s not saying much ) and we have a workhorse back and DJ and PF as reliable targets. Hoping Chase rounds into form and breaks out.
I think Mitch should be given a fair legit shot.
I think Canada is no longer limited by a QB who’s unwilling to change and adapt to a new offense.
We shall see the FULL Canada and we’ll find out if he can actually be an NFL OC, or if he is indeed hot garbage.
I think we will surprise all the pundits and haters.
I’m not saying we’re the best team in the NFL and SB favorites.
But I also don’t see us finishing in the basement of the AFCN.

He does show a good arm in that video, his problem is accuracy in the short/mid rout passes right?

He has the tools, lots hope he figures it out

I think Mitch has the potential to lead the offense.
I think the O-Line has been upgraded from last year ( I know, that’s not saying much ) and we have a workhorse back and DJ and PF as reliable targets. Hoping Chase rounds into form and breaks out.
I think Mitch should be given a fair legit shot.
I think Canada is no longer limited by a QB who’s unwilling to change and adapt to a new offense.
We shall see the FULL Canada and we’ll find out if he can actually be an NFL OC, or if he is indeed hot garbage.
I think we will surprise all the pundits and haters.
I’m not saying we’re the best team in the NFL and SB favorites.
But I also don’t see us finishing in the basement of the AFCN.

Good post and I agree with a lot of it.

Canada being hindered with BEN is akin to BEN being hindered with Canada and OL, both problems for a "final" season and management decision.

I'm just glad we shall see the full Canada and not his brother MONTE.!

Salute the nation

Unfortunately, I think Canada gets a free pass this year like he did last year. He has a new QB and a couple new players (boo f'ing hoo). But, to me, he would be on a short leash and I wouldn't hesitate to kick his *** to the curb partway through the season. That would take Rooney to make that happen as Tomlin would never do it and I don't think Rooney would either as he'd have to pay more cash to make that happen mid-season.

Good post and I agree with a lot of it.

Canada being hindered with BEN is akin to BEN being hindered with Canada and OL, both problems for a "final" season and management decision.

I'm just glad we shall see the full Canada and not his brother MONTE.!

Salute the nation
Absolutely. Grizzled near retirement shotgun only sandlot football Ben and offensive system with QB under center OC Canada were oil and vinegar/round hole with square peg. Not saying one was worse than the other. Just they shouldn’t have been paired together. NOT a good match, Chuck Woolery.

This is how I feel for whatever that's worth.

Absolutely. Grizzled near retirement shotgun only sandlot football Ben and offensive system with QB under center OC Canada were oil and vinegar/round hole with square peg. Not saying one was worse than the other. Just they shouldn’t have been paired together. NOT a good match, Chuck Woolery.

You got it and thats why I put the manageent decision in there.

Unfortunately is was the worst send off for the face of the franchise QB I can ever remeber (not that I tracted other QBs/teams) but don't remeber any such circumstances to this proportion as to how BEN was sent off. Epic fail.

I'm full of hope on the O'Canada success but I'd be 4-6 games in ready for change if needed.

Salute the nation

You got it and thats why I put the manageent decision in there.

Unfortunately is was the worst send off for the face of the franchise QB I can ever remeber (not that I tracted other QBs/teams) but don't remeber any such circumstances to this proportion as to how BEN was sent off. Epic fail.

I'm full of hope on the O'Canada success but I'd be 4-6 games in ready for change if needed.

Salute the nation
Absolutely was.

Absolutely was.

I was looking back at Terry Bradshaw, Fran Tarkington, John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly are a wide birth of franchise QBs and not one single one got the send off BEN did. Even Mike Tomzack left with out this much bull-**** change in the wrong direction and he wasn't even a face.

Bernie Koszar

Warren Moon

Payton Manning

cheating t*myb*y

Philipp Rivers

The other Manning

Just to name a few

Salute the nation