• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is Why the Steelers Shouldn’t Sign Tyrann Mathieu

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Almost everywhere you look on Steelers Twitter, you will find a fan tweeting about how they want Tyrann Mathieu. Many fans want him and that’s understandable. Heck, even I would love for the Steelers to sign him. In a division with the best WR trio, a top-five quarterback, and a ton of offensive star power, you need all the star power you can get on defense. Unfortunately for the people aboard the Mathieu to the Steelers train, Colbert stated on Monday that they prefer to sign ‘players coming off their first contract’, and this would be his fourth contract. On the other hand Mathieu confirmed on Monday that Mike Tomlin has called Mathieu in an attempt to recruit him. So take Colberts comments with a grain of salt.

As much as it sucks to hear, passing on Mathieu may be what’s best for this team in the long run .Here are a few reasons why I believe signing Mathieu may be the wrong thing to do:

Tyrann Mathieu is 29 years old and will be 30 this off-season. It doesn’t make sense for a team like the Steelers, who aren’t yet prepared to win the Super Bowl, to go after older veterans like Mathieu. His finest days are behind him, and the Steelers would be foolish to sign him for the money he commands.

Contract Demands

Another reason the Steelers should seek elsewhere to replace the strong safety position is because of the type of money Mathieu commands. According to reports, he wants a multi-year contract for roughly $15 million each year. You may argue that the Steelers have enough cap space and so on, but keep in mind that they still have to sign their 2022 draft class, and they prefer to start the season with a healthy amount of cap space. Also, with Minkah Fitzpatrick’s contract about to expire soon, it wouldn’t make sense for the Steelers to spend a lot of money on a safety whose best days are behind him.

Solid Options Still Available

You may not like this reason, but it’s an important one nonetheless. If the Steelers don’t sign Mathieu, it’s not the end of the world. They can still get a solid option at a much more reasonable price. Terrell Edmunds is the first person who springs to mind. He’s a younger guy who just finished his rookie deal and has a lot of ties to the Steelers organization. This totally coincides with Colbert’s statement on what they look for in free agents. They can also sign other options such as Demontae Kazee, who the Steelers were rumored to be interested in, or Landon Collins, a veteran safety with a high pedigree. These would all be solid options that would come at a much more reasonable price.

Do you think the Steelers should sign Tyrann Mathieu? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

His price would have to be below $10 million. Minkah is going to get around $17 million per. We can't pay a complementary safety to Minkah anywhere remotely near that number. It just makes no sense.

It would be silly to allocate that much money to an aging safety with where we are currently at…if he wants to come in on the cheap hell yeah, but I doubt he’s cutting the type of discount we would need for it to make any sense. Bring back Edmunds, bring in Kazee or grab a guy in the draft at a much lower cap number.

I like me some Kazee!

If the Steelers pay Minkah $17 million per, they CANNOT pay Mathieu $12 million or more. They CAN'T. That would mean they are paying $37 million for the freaking SECONDARY, even with Witherspoon and Wallace playing at very reasonable cost.

Do what every other team in the NFL does - pair the expensive guy with a talented draft pick who plays at an affordable number. Steelers are already doing that with Watt and Highsmith. Draft any one of a number of talented SS in this draft - Brisker in the 1st or 2nd, Jalen Pitre in the 2nd, Bubba Bolden or Sterling Weatherford in the 4th, Tycen Anderson or Scott Nelson in the 7th.

A draft pick would work or Edmunds for cheap if he's still around near or after the draft. Minkah said he got real comfortable working with Edmunds last year. That is a good thing. Edmunds isn't the greatest but he is a veteran and he improved last year. He's not worth 1st round money where we drafted him but if they can get him back for around $5 million, I think it's a solid signing alongside Minkah. Now, if they address the middle of the DL, then we will really have something.

If the Steelers pay Minkah $17 million per, they CANNOT pay Mathieu $12 million or more. They CAN'T. That would mean they are paying $37 million for the freaking SECONDARY, even with Witherspoon and Wallace playing at very reasonable cost.

Do what every other team in the NFL does - pair the expensive guy with a talented draft pick who plays at an affordable number. Steelers are already doing that with Watt and Highsmith. Draft any one of a number of talented SS in this draft - Brisker in the 1st or 2nd, Jalen Pitre in the 2nd, Bubba Bolden or Sterling Weatherford in the 4th, Tycen Anderson or Scott Nelson in the 7th.
Just think....in 3 years that will be peanuts. 29 years old isn't bad. Sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and then kick him to the curb. Or we simply could go a different direction for less money with a player that is younger. Tombert will figure it all out I'm sure.

Just think....in 3 years that will be peanuts. 29 years old isn't bad. Sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and then kick him to the curb. Or we simply could go a different direction for less money with a player that is younger.

The draft pick in 3 years is getting paid maybe $2 to $3 million total against the cap and if the right players are chosen, are stars. Best way to improve the team - high-level players on that first contract. Cannot miss on round 1-3 picks, need to hit several 4-5 round picks.

This is becoming a trend every year in FA. Safeties want big money. The league says NO. And they sit until after the draft and sign for crap money again....

Was never a big honey badger fan. Bring back Edmunds or get a guy in the draft.

Saw that Daniel Jeremiah has the Steelers grabbing Daxton Hill @ #20 in his latest mock.

A guy in the draft, or Edmunds after the draft. I wouldn’t sign him before unless it is cheap.

Saw that Daniel Jeremiah has the Steelers grabbing Daxton Hill @ #20 in his latest mock.
In reality, there is likely a 70% chance they reach for a project with their first pick, just trying to show how much smarter they are. It will then have an 80% chance of failure, just like most of the other times.

The draft pick in 3 years is getting paid maybe $2 to $3 million total against the cap and if the right players are chosen, are stars. Best way to improve the team - high-level players on that first contract. Cannot miss on round 1-3 picks, need to hit several 4-5 round picks.
That isn't asking much now is it? If anyone can do it though.....Tombert can.

In reality, there is likely a 70% chance they reach for a project with their first pick, just trying to show how much smarter they are. It will then have an 80% chance of failure, just like most of the other times.
Reality simply is that 50% of draft picks in the first round become just an average starter. Of those a few become probowlers...of that....a few become all pros.....and so on and so on...

I believe someone posted this a few years ago on here. Something along those lines anyways.

If we really want to prove how smart we are we trade up 1 pick before whoever is gonna grab Davis and steal him away. That would be a brilliant start to the draft.

If we really want to prove how smart we are we trade up 1 pick before whoever is gonna grab Davis and steal him away. That would be a brilliant start to the draft.

My fear is that they do trade up and DAVIS is available but.................................... they take their infactuated 3rd round QB instead.

Salute the nation

The problem is that the team traded away its 4th, 5th and 6th round picks in this year's draft. To move up to 13, they would need to give up their 1st, their 3rd and something else, possibly a 1st next year. That would leave them with pick 13, 52 and 138 in a pretty good draft with a lot of spots to fill or set up for the future (SS, ILB, RT, RB2, TE2, WR, C, DL).

Also sucks that Durpee was just bad enough to drop the comp pick to 138 instead of 99.

He would be a 1-2 year guy and that would be fine because we have lots of contracts coming up. I have no issues if we sign him.

Reality simply is that 50% of draft picks in the first round become just an average starter. Of those a few become probowlers...of that....a few become all pros.....and so on and so on...

I believe someone posted this a few years ago on here. Something along those lines anyways.