• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Those racist Italians

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
So I have to suffer through CBS News Sunday Morning in the background in the kitchen on Sundays, and I'm hearing about this American couple who got their Italian citizenship and moved to Italy. Apparently the primary way to get Italian citizenship is to have Italian blood. They have Italian blood and were able to do it. This was celebrated as really cool on this show. The Italian official was really proud of the policy. I asked my wife if that seemed racist, and she said no, they want their people to move back to Italy.

This drives me nuts. We ******* tie our shoes the wrong way over here and we're xenophobes. Italy has this policy and it's awesome.

I've looked into this. It is easiest if your grandfather was not yet a U.S. citizen when you were born here or if your great-grandfather was not yet a citizen when your grandfather was born here. I'm one step past that so it won't work for me. I tried to get a work visa for Italy about two years ago and found it was next to impossible for an American. After a number of emails between me and the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia, it boiled down to you kinda need a work visa to apply for a job but it's hard to get a job offer without a work visa. I did ask one of my cousins there if he knew anyone in the funeral business, he did not, but also said (translated), "The economy sucks, taxes are too high, stay in America". The Italian economy has been slow for decades and they're finally waking up to the fact that they have a brain drain and their best and brightest are leaving for other countries in the EU.

I've looked into this. It is easiest if your grandfather was not yet a U.S. citizen when you were born here or if your great-grandfather was not yet a citizen when your grandfather was born here. I'm one step past that so it won't work for me. I tried to get a work visa for Italy about two years ago and found it was next to impossible for an American. After a number of emails between me and the Italian Consulate in Philadelphia, it boiled down to you kinda need a work visa to apply for a job but it's hard to get a job offer without a work visa. I did ask one of my cousins there if he knew anyone in the funeral business, he did not, but also said (translated), "The economy sucks, taxes are too high, stay in America". The Italian economy has been slow for decades and they're finally waking up to the fact that they have a brain drain and their best and brightest are leaving for other countries in the EU.

You mean you can’t just cross Italy’s border and get free health care, free education, welfare checks and get protected from punishment when you commit crimes? Man, that’s some bullshit right there.

Italians are not racist! They have laws and enforce them unlike the US where you hear demos want to build brides from Mexico not walls. If I were single I’d move over there in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ron, how did establish when your grandfather became a US citizen? No plans to move to Italy, but find it interesting. My great grandfather was born in 1863, grandfather in 1894 and dad in 1925. I know the great grandfather came to to US, just not sure when, and no idea when citizenship occurred. Dad was born here.

Ron, how did establish when your grandfather became a US citizen? No plans to move to Italy, but find it interesting. My great grandfather was born in 1863, grandfather in 1894 and dad in 1925. I know the great grandfather came to to US, just not sure when, and no idea when citizenship occurred. Dad was born here.

My grandfather was born in the U.S. but as best I can tell after my great-grandparents became U.S. citizens.

You mean you can’t just cross Italy’s border and get free health care, free education, welfare checks and get protected from punishment when you commit crimes? Man, that’s some bullshit right there.

The Italian bureaucracy is rather ****** up and even the Muzzies who land there illegally are trying to get to France, Germany, and northern Europe where they can get more benefits more easily. The latest Italian government is somewhat right-wing (by Euro standards) and not big on immigration but even before that Italy was somewhat hostile to immigrants, not really on purpose but because the government was simply incompetent. When I was in Rome we worked two Saturdays in a soup kitchen feeding Muzzies and I've talked to them personally.

Last edited:
Both my paternal grand parents were born in Italy. My maternal great grand father was born in Italy and his wife was born here. She was half Irish and half nuts.

Both my paternal grand parents were born in Italy. My maternal great grand father was born in Italy and his wife was born here. She was half Irish and half nuts.

Only half nuts? Lucky duck.

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger

Zona if your family arrived through Ellis Island you can get some info on their arrival here.

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger

Zona if your family arrived through Ellis Island you can get some info on their arrival here.

Awesome site, found my great grandfather coming through in 1907, followed by my grandfather in 1910. Even allowed me to find the province in Italy, and the mayor of the village shares my last name.

Damn, I may be related to a politician.

Thanks Smash