• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three Cases for Rookie Starters

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Going into the 2021 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers had a clear shopping list of key additions they’ll need in the new season. With their lackluster 2020 rush offense, SteelerNation saw them draft key offensive positions along the offensive front and at running back, which is what we all expected. There is no denying rookie running back Najee Harris is a clear day-one starter and he’s listed as such on the first edition of the team’s depth chart. But with that said, there are other young additions who are new to the NFL in 2021 who are fighting for a starting roster spot. Outside of Harris and tight end Pat Freiermuth, who could we see start in 2021? Here are cases for three rookies to start in the 2021 season:

Dan Moore Jr., OT

Moore Jr. was the Steelers’ first of two 4th round picks at 128th overall in the 2021 NFL Draft. With the rebuild of the offensive line, it is no wonder the Steelers picked up an offensive tackle in the middle of the draft after a running back and guard/center. Last year’s left offensive tackle, Alejandro Villanueva, is now with division-rival Baltimore Ravens and his spot is up for grabs. As of right now, we see newly-acquired Chaz Green and familiar Chukwuma Okorafor ahead of Moore Jr. on the depth chart. But with that said, Moore Jr. has been seeing reps with the starters in camp and has had some bright spots. Moore Jr. spent the bulk of his college time on the left side of the line and had a strong showing in 2020 and at the Senior Bowl. He does lack some mobility which tends to be a critical asset at the line. Seeing the competition in front of him, Moore Jr. definitely has a shot at earning a starting role. Okorafor is the presumed favorite at LT starter, but Moore Jr. has proven in camp so far that he should be considered. It is also important to note that Moore Jr. has a high ceiling and new offensive line coach Adrian Klemm has been grooming him to start since day one.

Buddy Johnson, ILB

Pittsburgh selected Johnson in the 4th round (140th overall) and this may have come as a surprise to Steelers fans. With the presumed starters (at the time) being Devin Bush and Vince Williams while being backed up by Robert Spillane and Ulysees Gilbert III, the inside linebacker corps seemed to be set. Well, fast forward three months, Williams has since retired and Spillane has not yet secured the starting job paired with Bush. From what we’ve seen so far at OTA’s, minicamp and training camp, Johnson is looking to earn that starting spot. Earlier in May, we compared Johnson to his potential-predecessor Williams as being a better tackler than coverage player and it looks as though that’s the case. Assuming Bush earns a starting spot, it’ll be Johnson, Spillane, Gilbert III, Tegray Scales, and Calvin Bundage all fighting for that second spot. I like Johnson starting over Spillane, simply due to his size and athleticism. Johnson is faster than Spillane. Johnson (6’2”, 240 lbs.) is physically bigger than Spillane (6’1”, 229 lbs.). After last season, I am a big Spillane fan, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Johnson start in September.

Tre Norwood, DB

Norwood was selected in the 7th round (245th overall) as a safety/cornerback hybrid player. With the offseason departures of Mike Hilton and Steven Nelson, Pittsburgh was looking for a versatile defensive back who could line up in the slot or play deeper as safety. Head coach Mike Tomlin described Norwood as a “Swiss Army knife” and he is looking to be as advertised. Norwood was a ballhawk in college and was tied for 2nd in the NCAA in interceptions (the other player was undrafted rookie Shakur Brown). With that said, to take his game to the next level, Norwood needs to improve his physicality. Playing in the slot will require Norwood to play press man-coverage and make tackles at the line, which he seemed to lack in college. Other names competing for that starting slot corner spot are Antoine Brooks, Jr., Brown, and James Pierre. Brooks is the current favorite to earn the spot, but think back to last season with Hilton and Cam Sutton. We saw a steady rotation at the slot corner/nickelback position, and I see Norwood being a big part of this season’s rotation.

HONORABLE MENTION: Pressley Harvin III, P

I had to include Harvin III in this list. Pittsburgh has never been a team to feature a strong-legged punter. Therefore, they used their final pick at 254th overall to select Harvin III to compete with veteran Jordan Berry for the punter position. In OTA’s, minicamp, and training camp, a lot of fans’ eyes were on Harvin III. Harvin III is known for his booming leg, his massive build, and is growing to be a new fan-favorite on special teams. On paper, Harvin III beats Berry. In 2020, Berry averaged a career-best 45.8 yards per punt, where Harvin III posted a 48 yards per punt average. It seems like Harvin III’s leg was built for cold, windy winters at Heinz Field. Head coach Tomlin and special teams coordinator Danny Smith have both expressed they’ve been impressed with Harvin III in camp, and I think we’ll be seeing him start in September over Berry.

What rookies do you think will start in 2021? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Harvin is the only one out of the group I think (if you compare where they have all played so far) that has a better than slim chance. Dan's reps come with a lack of bodies at the position due to injuries, etc. So hard to gage where he is at. But Johnson and Norwood are just battling right now to make the roster.

I’m adding Buddy Johnson to Sask’s list as well. Complete beast at my alma mater and will transition well at this level. Good size, decent speed and good tackler.

I’m adding Buddy Johnson to Sask’s list as well. Complete beast at my alma mater and will transition well at this level. Good size, decent speed and good tackler.
nothing against Buddy. Know little. But he would need to beat out Spillane, Allan and UGIII (no big deal). I can see him beating out Gilbert but will play SP teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOORE is definately my hope and also a chance at starting but realistically not from day one. Moore is making noise with his oppirtunities and you can't ask for moore (or can you).

Harvin most likely will debunk Berry so yes, he has the surest bet. Johnson's outside looking in as far as starter goes but like tomlin says "you can't put the jello back in the box" so If Buddy gets out he may surprise.

Salute the nation

PS

I realize he is NOT a rookie but feel he is making big strides to his slow TC (training camp) start. Coach Mike Tomlin is just starting to share his offseason tomlinism(s) and he is starting to hit his stride. I realize his game wil pick up once the camera / season starts for real.

Salute the natio

I think Friermuth is definitely the clear cut #2 TE. Reports have been raving but I don't see him surpassing Ebron (at least, not right now)...
I think that is two fold. I don't think in pass situations he passes Ebron. But in run heavy sets there is no reason to think he takes second fiddle to Ebron. So maybe on paper Ebron gets that number 1 nod but on the field it could very well be a 1A and 1B situation. Where situational football dictates reps. A good situation to have for the O giving it another matchup possible.

This morning on the drive Matt Williamson has Buddy over Allen making the team. Allen’s days may be numbered on the 53 man. UGIII has to stay healthy to make the team and that is a worry.

This morning on the drive Matt Williamson has Buddy over Allen making the team. Allen’s days may be numbered on the 53 man. UGIII has to stay healthy to make the team and that is a worry.
I think Allen and Buddy make the team. I see Allen starting out higher on the depth chart.

If Ebron is going to be the starter, I certainly hope he's been working on actually catching the damn ball. Friermuth will be the starter next year if not at some point this year.

I think Allen and Buddy make the team. I see Allen starting out higher on the depth chart.
Hard to say but reports from camp have been good for UGIII and Buddy Johnson I doubt they keep 5 so if UGIII is healthy and Buddy keeps flying around the field like they say he is that leaves no spot for Allen at LB unless he does double duty at backup safety. I think it comes down to him or Gilbert.

I think Friermuth is definitely the clear cut #2 TE. Reports have been raving but I don't see him surpassing Ebron (at least, not right now)...
I wouldn't say he will be the starter either but it will be 1a,1b. Not going to anoint Friermuth as Heath Miller 2.0 but the team wants to improve the run game. It's 11 on 10 with Ebron in and you want to run.

Allen never has really brought much to the table. I was hoping with the position switch he'd make more of an impact but that remains to be seen.

Allen never has really brought much to the table. I was hoping with the position switch he'd make more of an impact but that remains to be seen.
He has had some good reps in camp. Being relatively new to the position perhaps it takes a little longer for the light to come on.

MOORE is definately my hope and also a chance at starting but realistically not from day one. Moore is making noise with his oppirtunities and you can't ask for moore (or can you).

Harvin most likely will debunk Berry so yes, he has the surest bet. Johnson's outside looking in as far as starter goes but like tomlin says "you can't put the jello back in the box" so If Buddy gets out he may surprise.

Salute the nation
I tell you my ol McDonald had a farm friend. Moore sure doesn't lack for confidence. And he has had considerable reps partially due to injury, but good exposure none the less. It wouldn't be a shocker with these things in mind if he starts sooner than later. E I E I - OH https://www.steelers.com/video/moor...g-stops?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If Ebron is going to be the starter, I certainly hope he's been working on actually catching the damn ball. Friermuth will be the starter next year if not at some point this year.
And blocking. At least on a few plays per game; wouldn't that be a luxury....

He seemed to be working in his blocking and pass catching by different things I saw the off-season. How that translates if that translates to on the field performance. We'll see.

I tell you my ol McDonald had a farm friend. Moore sure doesn't lack for confidence. And he has had considerable reps partially due to injury, but good exposure none the less. It wouldn't be a shocker with these things in mind if he starts sooner than later. E I E I - OH https://www.steelers.com/video/moor...g-stops?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DANG slash, GREAT find and thanks for posting !!!!

I'm still on that wagon of him being a starter and hoping like hell he succeeds in doing so.

Many of us have our own personal defanition of "luxury". Take for instance that my S10 is many times over the ONLY one in the parking lot, so I'm telling yaz I have a LUXURY S10 that makes you feel like a winner....... before the race even starts.

Confluence, I usually keep it full of gas so anytime you stop by you can be that "winner" and as a bonus I'll cook yaz 5 lbs. BACON while you're out cruisiN

Salute the nation

PS

slash, you can take it for a LUXURY cruise anytime as well and I'll have that 5 lbs. BACON ready when yaz get back.................!!!!

Salute the nation