• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three changes———— what would be your’s

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DK Daily Shot STEELERS had some very good points this morning.

He named these three changes for this game !!!

1) Get Dan more out of there. Plain and simple. Put Okorafor back in at RT and move Broderick to left.
Moore had the worst game of his career last Saturday, he has given up 7 sacks on the season (7th most in league). Okorafor has paid his penalty and putting Jones in his natural position is a big win.

2) Get Calvin Austin on the field again. First 5 games averaged 42.2 offensive snaps, the last 5 games he has been 13.2 offensive snaps. His taking the top off defenses, the end around 6-9 yard gains are gone. TEs aren’t getting it done so lets open it up a little.

3) Less Alex Highsmith and more Nick Herbig. Last 6 games Highsmith has 14 tackles / 1.5 sacks / 3 tackle for loss, nearly invisible. Herbig, for as little as he is on the field, big things happen. Nick hasn’t the ILB ability (trust in that), Nick makes things happen.

My take: I know we are desperate and with desperate times comes desperate actions. I agree on all three ideas, for a lot of the same reasoning. One thing though is a Tomlin staple, never change yet get the same results expecting something different.

I think just the change itself will present better play and chance of win. Get Mason a tad more time and throw the skin down field, he has the arm. Najee isn’t going anywhere, Warren 4,6ypc vs Najee 3.0, but Coach Tomlin will not sit Najee. Keep in mind Najee had an injury this week in practice (not believed to be serious).

Any other suggestions, PLEASE, we all know about coaching so please keep it player and in the moment changes ?

We have plenty of “coaching” threads.

Salute the nation

I get the injuries, but in what phase of the game are they even average at now?
Agree giving Chuk another shot at RT and Jones to the left, but the issue is greater than that.
Cole with his worm holes is a disaster waiting to happen, maybe give Nate at shot, could it be any worse?

Watching other teams providing 4-5 seconds for their QB to go through progressions has me thinking why can't the Steelers do that?

If I were the owner of this team in all seriousness I would just be hoping for this disastrous season to end. This has got to be a total humiliation and embarrassment to the Rooney’s although Art II is responsible for much of it keeping over hyped Tomlin.
I’m not saying this happens and most probably not but here’s my to do list.
Try and facilitate a trade for Tomlin.If not a trade just move on from him.
Fire the coaching staff. Clean house.
Interview the top offensive minded candidates for HC. Ben Carson on top of list but look at guys from Shanahans offensive staff.
Move on from dead wood players with sizable cap hits. Robinson, Chuks, Larry O, Mitch, Cole.
Got to do something with Cam and his crazy cap hit. He’ll be 35 and his hit is like 20 plus million. Way too much and that needs to be changed.
Pat Peterson cap hit too high so that needs to be lowered and he needs to move to safety.
Draft priorities should be RT, Center, DL, WR, CB.
FA should have plenty of money of you get rid of the dead wood.
Sign the CB from the Bears we tried to trade for.
Try and sign no sign Tyler Boyd or Tee Higgins who will be FAs.
Move on from Mr. Pickens and Johnson. They’re punks and not what we want. Use those picks on priority needs in the draft. If you can get second and thirds use on WR’s with talent, heart, and toughness.
Depending on if Tomlin is traded those picks help with the priority needs and I’d use one on a QB.
If you end up with two or more first round picks including our own, one is used on one of these QBs like Penix or Bo Nix. Have to bring in young talent to compete with Pickett. Also, would be who the new HC and his OC want.
Restructure TJs contract and Highsmith as well.
Lots of work to do.

If I were the owner of this team in all seriousness I would just be hoping for this disastrous season to end. This has got to be a total humiliation and embarrassment to the Rooney’s although Art II is responsible for much of it keeping over hyped Tomlin.
Interview the top offensive minded candidates for HC. Ben Carson on top of list but look at guys from Shanahans offensive staff.
Move on from dead wood players with sizable cap hits. Robinson, Chuks, Larry O, Mitch, Cole.
Got to do something with Cam and his crazy cap hit. He’ll be 35 and his hit is like 20 plus million. Way too much and that needs to be changed.
Pat Peterson cap hit too high so that needs to be lowered and he needs to move to safety.
Move on from Mr. Pickens and Johnson. They’re punks and not what we want. Use those picks on priority needs in the draft. If you can get second and thirds use on WR’s with talent, heart, and toughness.
Depending on if Tomlin is traded those picks help with the priority needs and I’d use one on a QB.
If you end up with two or more first round picks including our own, one is used on one of these QBs like Penix or Bo Nix. Have to bring in young talent to compete with Pickett. Also, would be who the new HC and his OC want.
Lots of work to do.
Cam is either hurt or washed up. The defense should be better with him in there. I can't remember a time its looked worse? Not worth that money.

While I totally understand (DIC), your request for keeping this about "player" changes, and not coaches...

IMO, we would only be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".

One thing I would do on offense is have our QB under center (Cowher recently said the same). It works better for our run game and slows the outside blitz game of the opponent.

IF we do this, and run play action, our TEs come open in the middle and our RBs have a running start to the LOS and play-fakes turn them into outlet receivers similar to what Haley used to do with success.

On defense, we cannot play "zone" with this many new people in the defensive backfield. We might suck at it because Wallace looks so slow this year and we don't have a LB who can cover a picnic basket but...it might be better than having open receivers in our zone defense that is prone to miscommunication.

Cut or trade Pickens.
New punter.
Draft more OL.

"We need a really tiny guy to return kicks and get tackled after a gain of 2 and 1/2 yards.......or fall down whenever the wind blows. And if that tiny guy doesn't work out we spare no draft pick, or expense to bring in another tiny guy. The Super Bowl will then be within easy reach if you will. Even a guy wearing Ray Bans on a cloudy day standing on the sideline can see that this is the missing ingredient....and we like being in the kitchen....if you will. This is the key missing component as we reach the home stretch of our current journey....if you will....obviously"----Mike Tomlin Football 101

Last edited:
My take: I know we are desperate and with desperate times comes desperate actions. I agree on all three ideas, for a lot of the same reasoning. One thing though is a Tomlin staple, never change yet get the same results expecting something different.
You have to keep in mind that Shade's decision process on personnel is so outdated and lacking in logic that it's not even believable. Look at our punter for God's sake. Why is he STILL our punter? Because Shades thinks he "vibes" with him? It's embarrassing.

On what changes? Ignoring the head coaching position (which is most paramount) I'd go with benching Moore, re-starting Chuks at RT, moving Jones back to LT. I don't know why Austin has been sat, but we got a taste for the coaches disdain for him last year when he could have come back from injury but Shades kept him out because "He hadn't seen stadium play yet" and because "We don't know how to use him." (An odd thing to say about someone THEY drafted in the 1st place.)

Use Warren more, Najee less. Did anyone see the video of Najee running INTO a defender on the field during a play when he could have easily ran away from him? And it's happened more than once. Najee was a bust 1st-round pick, let's be honest here.

And get Cole the hell out of playing center; I don't care who you replace him with. He sucks worse and worse the longer he is in playing center.

And my guess is that Washington isn't showing much as a receiving TE, because they have barely TRIED to use him as such. He must just not have the ability. And, for the love of God, throw to Muth more down the middle of the field, screw Shades' fear of throwing to the middle of the field.

Let's face it, injuries have decimated the S and ILB units. It is what it is. Move Pat Pete to S, he was headed there regardless.

Like many here, I just want to get through the season.

If we lose this game, then we might as well start playing players for evaluation of next year’s crop/team.

Like many here as well, I can only hope Coach Tomlin and company is gone after this season.

We have some good talent that isn’t used correctly or not at all.

Good luck to our STEELERS.!!! Plain and simple.

Salute the nation

I don't know why Austin has been sat, but we got a taste for the coaches disdain for him last year when he could have come back from injury but Shades kept him out because "He hadn't seen stadium play yet" and because "We don't know how to use him." (An odd thing to say about someone THEY drafted in the 1st place.)
Austin isn't the first player Steelers coaches have made that comment about. They've had other offensive skill player/s (and possibly defensive backs, but could be misremembering on that one) the coaches have made similar comments about - pretty sure Dri Archer was another they drafted without having a plan for using him at the time of drafting.

Austin isn't the first player Steelers coaches have made that comment about. They've had other offensive skill player/s (and possibly defensive backs, but could be misremembering on that one) the coaches have made similar comments about - pretty sure Dri Archer was another they drafted without having a plan for using him at the time of drafting.

I think Calvin Austin 3 is by far a better player than Dri Archer ever was. At the beginning of the season, when Austin was in on a lot bigger % of snaps, the defense had to account for him. Now a days, he’s not even on the field hardly and one less worry for the defense. CA 3 isn’t the savior, but it’s these little things that add up to where we are Currently.

I gert your point, but Austin does have football speed. Another miss-used draft pick.

Salute the nation

The problem with Dri Archer was he didn't have a NFL position. He was a RB who was too small to play RB in the NFL. His only chance was to make it as a return man and become a threat in the receiving game as a 3rd down back. The problem was he wasn't that good at returns and not a great receiver. He lacked vision as a runner.

Austin can actually play WR in the NFL. He may never be a top WR but he should be able to be a good slot WR. He's a good returner too. Part of the problem is the steelers seem to want a big slot and use him more like a TE. Allen Robinson is being used like a TE. They have him blocking DEs and LBs.

Once the Steelers hire an OC that installs a modern passing game, a quick slot guy like Austin could do well.

Lots of work to do.
Lines one through three and the rest will take care of itself. A new coach will cut the deadwood like Cowher did when he got here. He wasn't afraid to cut a first round draft pick who couldn't cut it. A good coaching staff will either coach up the players who can be coached or show them the door.

I don't have 3 changes. It's rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

These last games must be used to find out who is a steeler and who needs to go. That includes coaches. The blocking both by OL and TEs is getting worse. Getting beaten physically is one thing. But when players keep making mental errors, that's on the coaches. They are bad teachers.

Part of the problem is the trickle down of soft practices. When the NFL damn near outlawed contact in practice, that trickled down to college then high school. It used to be that players came to the NFL already solid on fundamentals and they just needed to learn more complex schemes and techniques. Drafting OL in the 1st round was nearly a guarantee to at least get a solid starter. SUre there were busts here and there but for the most part, if you drafted OL in rd 1, you likely got a plug and play starter.

Now you have guys getting to the NFL and they know scheme but not fundamentals. HS and college coaches no longer bother drilling them on fundamentals, at least nowhere near as much as in the past. Why waste all that practice time blocking when you can focus on a scheme to get a guy in space?

This means NFL coaches have to pick up the slack and drill fundamentals again. Many of these young coaches don't know how to do that.

1 HC. Without this change 2 or 3 will not matter. I would bet Vegas money on it.

2 Then I make some hard or not so hard decisions at WR,T,C, backup QB, CB, and DE in free agency. The team needs a better number 1 WR, a better T opposite Jones, a better starting C. A better CB opposite Porter Jr. Better QB depth. They need to figure out Cam and Larry. You can't bring back Cam on that salary.

3. BPA in the draft not leaving out any position other than RB. Too many needs to luxury pick at that position.

1. Agree with moving Jones back to LT and adding Chuks at RT
2. Switch to a 2RB backfield and QB under center, 2 TE and Drops @ WR
3. Insert Herbig @ TJ’s spot and let TJ do nothing but destroy the QB from whatever spot on the field he wants to start from. Since Robinson is doing nothing in coverage, we sits. TJ reeking havoc on every play offsets Robinsons vacancy, actually it improves on it.

These are just my 3 changes BEFORE the end of the season.

Last edited:
Cut or trade Pickens.
New punter.
Draft more OL.

I missed the punter.

Absolutely right Ron, the punter should have been jettisoned from a human cannon to the cheese vat for massive nacho & Cheese dinners.

There is the FA ON THE STREET THAT WAS FALSLY accused of a rape charge. I’d go after him yesterday and sign him today to kick this after noon. We’d see better punting average and believe me, he knows how to hold a football for extra points too. Apparently that is the main skill needed as that is why Presley Harvin III is currently being kept on the roster.

Salute the nation

The problem with Dri Archer was he didn't have a NFL position. He was a RB who was too small to play RB in the NFL. His only chance was to make it as a return man and become a threat in the receiving game as a 3rd down back. The problem was he wasn't that good at returns and not a great receiver. He lacked vision as a runner.

Austin can actually play WR in the NFL. He may never be a top WR but he should be able to be a good slot WR. He's a good returner too. Part of the problem is the steelers seem to want a big slot and use him more like a TE. Allen Robinson is being used like a TE. They have him blocking DEs and LBs.

Once the Steelers hire an OC that installs a modern passing game, a quick slot guy like Austin could do well.

Well said

Salute the nation

You have to keep in mind that Shade's decision process on personnel is so outdated and lacking in logic that it's not even believable. Look at our punter for God's sake. Why is he STILL our punter? Because Shades thinks he "vibes" with him? It's embarrassing.

On what changes? Ignoring the head coaching position (which is most paramount) I'd go with benching Moore, re-starting Chuks at RT, moving Jones back to LT. I don't know why Austin has been sat, but we got a taste for the coaches disdain for him last year when he could have come back from injury but Shades kept him out because "He hadn't seen stadium play yet" and because "We don't know how to use him." (An odd thing to say about someone THEY drafted in the 1st place.)

Use Warren more, Najee less. Did anyone see the video of Najee running INTO a defender on the field during a play when he could have easily ran away from him? And it's happened more than once. Najee was a bust 1st-round pick, let's be honest here.

And get Cole the hell out of playing center; I don't care who you replace him with. He sucks worse and worse the longer he is in playing center.

And my guess is that Washington isn't showing much as a receiving TE, because they have barely TRIED to use him as such. He must just not have the ability. And, for the love of God, throw to Muth more down the middle of the field, screw Shades' fear of throwing to the middle of the field.

Let's face it, injuries have decimated the S and ILB units. It is what it is. Move Pat Pete to S, he was headed there regardless.
So you think this staff would know what Washington can do and can not do? Ability wise? LOL

These coaches and this Offensive scheme have made zero players or coaches look good. NONE.

Simply sad really.

I assume you are talking this year. This year is over. It ended officially when they lost back to back to the Cardinals and Pats. It was in reality done long long before that.

new OC
2 Following players not back Chukes (Savings re.), Walker, Kazee restructures Heyward Larry O Robinson, Peterson, and Peterson to SS
3 new RT, an ILB young CB, a good center from the draft, I would of dor both the OL and front 7 target disciplined kids from Michigan, Bama @ and Georgia there is going between these 3 power house programs about 15 players should be drafted, I would take a good look at UM Zinter, ILB Colson, S Moore RB/WR Edwards WR slot WR Wilson. Bama OT Lathem CB Kool-Aid, Georgia C. Ohio ST ILB and seriously think about moving up for Penn st T or Notre Dame both those 2 are decade plug ins, could possibly be fixtures to how Trent Williams in DC, and Lewan was with the ****

1. I am going to watch on a smaller TV. maybe it wont hurt as much. cant see ****.
2. started heavily drinking at noon. maybe it wont hurt as much. to drunk to care
3. sound off. Christmas music on. maybe it wont hurt as much. Christmas has never had a losing season either. and that streak will continue