• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three Reasons Why the Steelers Shouldn’t Draft a Quarterback in 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in quarterback limbo for the first time in 18 years. Ben Roethlisberger retiring after almost two incredible decades of football was expected, but it doesn’t mean it was planned for well. With Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins currently set to battle or the starting job, many people believe the team needs to go after a quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft to plan for the future. While the NFL has transformed into a quarterback’s league, a rookie quarterback isn’t leading them to a Super Bowl next year and this draft class at the position isn’t necessarily highly touted. The quarterback position is vastly important, but there are many other areas to improve for Mike Tomlin‘s team. The Steelers should look elsewhere positionally in this year’s draft and here’s why:

1.) The Offensive Line Needs to be Invested In​

The Steelers, traditionally, aren’t aggressive in free agency. While I can see them making some moves this off-season, don’t expect that to hold them back from drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. There are plenty of good options up front and with an extremely talented soon-to-be second-year running back in Najee Harris, a good running game will change the dynamic for a team who has relied on Roethlisberger’s arm for the last 10 years or so. I, personally, would much rather invest in an offensive line and watch poor quarterback play for a year than watch both fail. If Rudolph, Haskins or any potential free agent want a shot at success, they are going to need time to throw the ball and be effective with play action due to a strong rushing attack.

2.) The Secondary Should be More of a Priority​

General Manager, Kevin Colbert hasn’t exactly been known to draft standout cornerbacks, but did everyone watch what top offenses did to the Steelers’ secondary this season? The Cincinnati Bengals and Kansas City Chiefs, among others, torched a secondary that desperately needs more depth and playmaking ability. Andrew Booth Jr. out of Clemson and Ahmad Gardner from Cincinnati both come to mind if they are available at #20. While Tre Norwood showed potential this season, the defense needs a serious upgrade at the position, especially with Joe Haden possibly leaving in free agency.

3.) This Quarterback Class Simply Isn’t Good​

As mentioned previously, this class of quarterbacks in 2022 isn’t as strong as some we have seen in the past and next year’s potential draftees. There is a whole lot of risk with the group in 2022. All have quirks and none seem to be ready to start right away. If this class was the same a couple years ago and one would have had a few seasons under Roethlisberger, it may have made me think differently. Kenny Pickett staying in Pittsburgh would be a great story and Tomlin seems to have focused on Malik Willis this week at Senior Bowl preparations, but realistically, there is no reason to settle for a quarterback just to draft one. One wrong decision could leave the Tomlin and co. in limbo for years consistently trying to convince everyone in Pittsburgh and the NFL that they have “their guy.”

Most likely, none of the top quarterback prospects this year will be available in the second round. If someone like Sam Howell falls, the Steelers could take a chance, but Steeler fans may have to sit through a tough year in 2022 with another sputtering offense before drafting the quarterback of the future in 2023. This is not predicting that the Steelers won’t reach and take a signal caller this year, but I definitely think they should stay away from it.

Do you think the Steelers should gamble on a quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Exactly drafting a db in top rounds for this front office is a waste. The offense got the 4 top picks last year, they did everything they could to give Canada’s offense a chance… let thone players mature a bit add a few plays via free agency but we have to spend some draft picks on the defense or it’s going to collapse If not next year in a year or two. we had guys starting on the defensive line that didn’t start in college! ***! We shouldn’t draft a “franchise“ qb but we can add another to the mix for *** sakes we had a undrafted free agent named ”duck” starting for us couple years ago. We need depth completely across the board at every position… this is the one year they could draft best player available and those guys will get playing time.

As for QB Bring trubisky or minshaw in FA, they won't cost trading picks. Then they better get going in FA to fill out all the roster holes to be able to draft BPA.

Drafting a QB only takes 1 pick, you have the rest of your draft and free agency to address OL and secondary. I'm not advocating for drafting a QB, just saying reasons 1 & 2 aren't good reasons not to take one.

Drafting a QB only takes 1 pick, you have the rest of your draft and free agency to address OL and secondary. I'm not advocating for drafting a QB, just saying reasons 1 & 2 aren't good reasons not to take one.
I'd rather see us in a losing season before I take a chance on ANY of this year's draft options...

Roll w/ Rudy or Dwayne and shore up the middle of the defense (NT and ILB) and double up on OL (C/OG).

Simple...

If there is a QB at 20 that they love (right or wrong to us fans and how things turn out with the pick), they have to take him. It's really that simple. If there are no QB's they love and truly believe they are a 1st round talent that can lead the Steelers for the next decade and a half, then they should not reach for one. Wait until next year. I still like bringing in Trubisky as a stop gap and giving him a legit shot against Rudolph. I really don't see Haskins beating out Rudolph.

I'd rather see us in a losing season before I take a chance on ANY of this year's draft options...

Roll w/ Rudy or Dwayne and shore up the middle of the defense (NT and ILB) and double up on OL (C/OG).

Simple...
Yeah, unless they become convinced that a guy this year is going to be a franchise guy for fifteen years… they should hold pat and build the rest of the team up… i think most reasonable people think that…

i only want ONE player for the draft:
Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

i only want ONE player for the draft:
Devonte Wyatt, Georgia
Like to see posters zoom in on who they are pimping. So what do you like about him?

Like to see posters zoom in on who they are pimping. So what do you like about him?
1. He's the prototypical 0 with a stocky frame BUT
2. he's UNBELIEVABLY quick. I think Wyatt could instantly solve the DL then, defense with it. Teams would have to honestly start doubling and tripling the nose again. And that would turbo-charge the D.
3. He's got the fire and urgency to win like Najee does.

Steelers would have to trade up to get him

Please stop asking us to invest in the secondary… they don’t know what they are doing there… yeah they sometimes get lower picks up to speed, but their high picks are always travesties …
Our best DB's, or I should say the only ones worth a damn, came from other teams.

Do you think the Steelers should gamble on a quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft? Let us know in the comments below!
I'll give you one reason. Last year's all-new OL sucked. This coming year the OL will be almost all-new again and they're still going to suck.
Won't matter who the new QB is, every QB will be a running QB, as in running for his life. :D
I would take Pickett in the first round IF he's still there, otherwise go with Rudolph and draft linemen on both sides of the ball.

No to drafting a QB in round one this year. None of these guys do a thing for me as a potential starter for the Steelers.
Draft for OL and DL wherever better player is available in that order.
Sign Trubiskie who should easily beat out Rudy and Haskins.
Cut the deadwood like Banner, Shoebert and Tuitt and save about 15 million in cap space.
Use that money to extend Minkah and JuJu and bring in quality CB, OL, DL, and a speed receiver. Spend the money wisely on quality and not leftovers.
We can go a long way in fixing things here if we do this right. And hire either Munchack or Marone as OL Coach.
Let’s wait until next year and take a look at drafting a QB but please not this draft.