• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

TJ Watt Breaks Steelers Single Season Sack Record

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After notching 1.5 sacks Sunday afternoon against the Tennessee Titans, outside linebacker TJ Watt has broken the Pittsburgh Steelers single season sack record, formerly held by James Harrison.

Coming into the game Sunday, Watt already shared the record with Harrison, which he set in 2008 at 16.0 sacks. Harrison posted on Twitter congratulating Watt on the accomplishment during the game.

🔥
🔥
#RP @steelers: A message from @jharrison9292 to @_TJWatt #HereWeGo #Steelers pic.twitter.com/G66JTiMcHt

— James Harrison (@jharrison9292) December 19, 2021

Watt broke the former record with three games still left to go in the regular season, while also only playing in 11 of the 14 games the team has played to date. Watt also missed time in two of those games with in game injuries.

Not only does Watt now own the Steelers single season sack record, he has a real chance to reach the NFL’s all time single season record as well which currently stands at 22.5 and was set by Michael Strahan in 2001. Watt is currently 5 sacks short of that number. Pair that with 3 games remaining and Watt averaging 1.59 sacks per game, it looks as though he will have a shot at the record.

Regardless if Watt does in fact reach the 22.5 number, it is still one of the greatest seasons by an individual in Steelers history.

Do you think Watt ends up breaking Strahan’s record? Let us know below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Tough ask for him to get 2 sacks per game. Particularly with the mobile QBs they're coming up against. Mayfield is slippery. Baker will run like a *****, and I don't know who the Ravens will have on the field. Ironically, as great a runner as Lamaar is, he gave up a ****-ton of sacks when we played them last time.

Tough ask for him to get 2 sacks per game. Particularly with the mobile QBs they're coming up against. Mayfield is slippery. Baker will run like a *****, and I don't know who the Ravens will have on the field. Ironically, as great a runner as Lamaar is, he gave up a ****-ton of sacks when we played them last time.
It isn't even just that. Teams are blatantly holding him constantly. Refs just keep those flags tugged away though.

Reactions: wig
It isn't even just that. Teams are blatantly holding him constantly. Refs just keep those flags tugged away though.
Maybe he'll get a sympathetic buddy like Favre to just "lay down" and let him tag him for that all-important record-breaking sack.

Did they give him the .5 sack credit? I didn't see they gave him that one where he clearly was in on the play. Hope he can break Strahan's record.

How many games has he missed this year? And he's still on track to get 22 if he just matches his game average.

And YET, they'll give the DPOY to Garret or ******* Donald again.

Did they give him the .5 sack credit? I didn't see they gave him that one where he clearly was in on the play. Hope he can break Strahan's record.
Yes he is at 17.5 so he did as of now get that 1/2 sack

Watt has missed 2 full games and almost entire halves of I believe 3 others. He is getting the benefit of the 17 game season but with what he has lost, he really will only have played in maybe a total of 14 games.

Watt has missed 2 full games and almost entire halves of I believe 3 others. He is getting the benefit of the 17 game season but with what he has lost, he really will only have played in maybe a total of 14 games.
another 3 sack performance against LamaRB and he may get this record.