• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

TJ Watt: “NFL Told Me to Return to School” Following Junior Season at Wisconsin

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Earlier this month, Pittsburgh Steelers star edge rusher TJ Watt joined Barstool Sports headliner podcast Pardon My Take to talk all things Steelers and NFL news. During his interview, Watt did a deep dive into his college experience at the University of Wisconsin.

Watt explained during the interview that he actually showed up to Wisconsin as a tight end. During his first three seasons he did battled numerous injuries including four dislocated kneecaps. Following his fourth dislocation, he flew down to Houston and underwent reconstructive surgery to permanently fix the knee issues.

During his redshirt sophomore season, Watt was approached by the coaching staff and they suggested he switch to defense. Initially he was apprehensive to the idea, but agreed to the switch. In 2014, he played behind current Steelers linebacker Joe Schobert and learned the ins and outs of playing defense at a high level. Then in 2015, Watt earned the starting position.

During Watt’s only college season as a full-time starter, he recorded 11.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and returned an interception for a touchdown. After Watt’s breakout campaign, he decided to take his shot at the NFL. For those who are unaware, the NFL offers a free service to collegiate athletes where they will have professional scouts not affiliated with an NFL franchise look at their college tape. Upon examination, the scouts will give an honest opinion on where they think the player would be drafted and whether or not they should declare for the draft or head back to school for another year to refine their skills.

Well, based on Watt’s interview, he stated the NFL told him “to return to school.” In typical Watt fashion, he submitted his papers to declare for the draft anyway. Watt explained:

“[The NFL] doesn’t know me. They don’t know the work I put in and what I’ve been through”.

The rest was history as Watt was then selected in the first round by the Steelers and has solidified himself as the best defensive player on the planet. Clearly these NFL scouts underestimated Watt and the type of person he is. All the credit goes to Watt in betting on himself, continuously perfecting his craft, and creating a legacy here in Pittsburgh that is only growing and cementing him as an all-time great.

Watt’s full interview with PMT can be found here.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Well, THAT'S a little nuts. :eek1: