• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Todd McShay Drops Latest Mock Draft Today; Steelers Address the Safety Position In Round 2

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you check out any of the mock drafts floating around the internet you will see the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting a quarterback in the first round in about 70% of them. And if they don’t take one in the first round, they’ll select one in the second round. It just feels like something that is going to happen even with the Steelers signing Mitchell Trubisky.

This morning ESPN Draft Expert Todd McShay released his latest mock draft, and first one since free agency kicked off. In his last edition he had the Steelers staying put at #20 and still getting their next franchise quarterback. The pick? Malik Willis.

Now the mock draft he released this morning is a full two round mock draft instead of just the first round. It comes with an updated draft order that reflects the big trade between the Saints, and Eagles that happened 24 hours ago.

Most pundits are saying the Saints grabbed an extra first round pick so they can select a quarterback this year. McShay doesn’t predict that to happen. He has the Saints selecting OT Trevor Penning, and DL Jordan Davis. Steelers fans are familiar with both of those names. Both of those players are likely high on their draft boards.

With the Steelers coming on the clock at #20, only one quarterback has been selected. That’s Pitt’s Kenny Pickett who goes #6 to Carolina.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

All signs are pointing toward Pittsburgh drafting a quarterback, and in this scenario, it doesn’t even have to move up to get one of the top two passers in the class. Willis is creative outside the pocket and has a rocket arm, and I actually have him ranked one spot ahead of Kenny Pickett at No. 21 on my board.

With Mitch Trubisky on a one-year deal, there’s no rush for Willis to play right away, and coach Mike Tomlin could develop Willis before turning over the keys. The AFC North is stacked at QB, but Willis has the upside to get the Steelers right back in the mix.
Steelers Malik Willis

Malik Willis drops back to pass under pressure while at Liberty University / Cat Crave

Everyone keeps saying that Willis won’t be there at #20, but several of the big names believe he will be. Regardless it’s going to be interesting to see what unfolds with this quarterback class. There could be 5 quarterbacks taken in the first round, or two. It’s going to be a wild day.

Pittsburgh still has a huge hole at safety. They are reportedly close to inking Minkah Fitzpatrick to a record deal, and are still alive in the Tyrann Mathieu race according to reports. But if the Mathieu signing doesn’t come to fruition by the draft then they could likely target a safety early. That’s where McShay goes with the Steelers second round pick.

Steelers Round 2 Pick>​

52. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State

Terrell Edmunds could still re-sign in Pittsburgh, but even if he does, Minkah Fitzpatrick is entering the final year of his deal. The Steelers could use a talented safety on a cheap contract to protect against losing either or both of them. Brisker is at his best working near the line of scrimmage thanks to above-average tackling skills and great instincts.
Steelers Could Pick Brisker

PSU Safety Jaquan Brisker makes the tackle against OSU / USA Today

Brisker won’t have to travel far from State College to Pittsburgh. Brisker is considered to be a ‘do all’ safety, and comes with good size at 6’1. He ran a 4.4 40-yard dash at the combine.

Lance Zierlein, NFL.com had this to say about Brisker.

“Athletic safety prospect whose versatility and toughness will endear him to coaches during the evaluation process. Brisker continued to pick up elements of the defensive scheme and his play has steadily transformed from hesitant in 2019 to downright instinctive in 2021.

He has the versatility to become a moving chess piece in a variety of coverages and has the size and talent to match up with both “Y” and “F” tight ends. He played with a banged-up shoulder in 2021 so his 2020 tape is a clearer indicator of his run support acumen. Brisker is an ascending talent with the NFL traits to become a long-time starter as a Day 2 draft pick.”

How do you feel about this mock draft SteelerNation? Let us know in the comments below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

My clairvoyancy is shadowed as to the future should Willis end up a 1st round STEELERS pick. My SPIRIT world had me riding antelope bare-back in only a speedo. I took that as a sign of things yet to come.

Patience will be on display as I'll have to give the first round pick time to adjust.

Salute the nation

If they pick Willis at 20 then I'll be OK with that, as they didn't trade picks for him and their hearts seems to be set on him. I don't see that happening with a team like NO having multiple #1s before the Steelers. Pickett falling to #21, again, I don't see it, but crazier things have happened in this NFL year.

I'm ok w/ both picks as long as we don't trade up to do it...

What if DAVIS / that stud saftey ?/ or one of the two top WRs are all there or just one of the three............. then what happens ?

Salute the nation

brisker is a stud. He actually has instincts unlike Edmunds. If they have 2 versatile safeties, it will give them a lot more coverage options.

What if DAVIS / that stud saftey ?/ or one of the two top WRs are all there or just one of the three............. then what happens ?

Salute the nation
As much as our front office is fighting against this idea, I think we are at least a year away from serious contention. I myself keep forgetting how terrible our offense was last year...sure we addressed the line, but our receivers are suspect and a rookie QB/Trubisky is anyones guess on how good they will be at QB, and Canada still sucks, but I digress.

I want the opposite approach in this draft, address some needs but trade at least one pick in rds 2, 3, or 4 for a pick next year, next year is when I want to sacrifice draft capital to trade up and get a franchise QB from a better crop of prospects

Would love to get one of the top LT's in the draft. If they are all gone, then go BPA. Doubt seriously that would Wilis. I would not be trading up for anyone in this draft. Would rather we trade down, as Lloyd mentioned above, for draft capital for next year.

As much as our front office is fighting against this idea, I think we are at least a year away from serious contention. I myself keep forgetting how terrible our offense was last year...sure we addressed the line, but our receivers are suspect and a rookie QB/Trubisky is anyones guess on how good they will be at QB, and Canada still sucks, but I digress.

I want the opposite approach in this draft, address some needs but trade at least one pick in rds 2, 3, or 4 for a pick next year, next year is when I want to sacrifice draft capital to trade up and get a franchise QB from a better crop of prospects

Absolutely agree.! I'm against reaching on a QB and fully want to fill the needs part of the team. Build draft capital to move from 1.32 to get to 1.3

Salute the nation

Can Willis play WR while developing? We need them.