• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Todd McShay’s Mock Draft 2.0 Has Steelers Trading Up For Quarterback

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Take mock drafts with a grain of salt. However, one draft expert I really enjoy is ESPN‘s Todd McShay. He is more reasonable then Mel Kiper every year and McShay’s latest mock draft released Wednesday morning will elate fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers. McShay doesn’t just have the team selecting a quarterback, but trading up four spots to grab, hopefully, the quarterback of the future in Pittsburgh.

Kenny Pickett‘s name has been thrown around for months in connection with the Steelers, but McShay has the Steelers trading to the Los Angeles Chargers‘ 16th overall pick to select Malik Willis out of Liberty. Willis shined in the Senior Bowl earlier this month and displayed skills that many compared to Lamar Jackson. This would be a complete 180 going from Ben Roethlisberger to Willis, but Mike Tomlin was quoted saying a mobile quarterback would be ideal.

One can assume that the Steelers moving up to #16 is solely to get ahead of the New Orleans Saints because they are also in the market for a quarterback.

Willis, while having the potential to be dynamic, threw 12 interceptions last year and is a work in progress. He is certainly not a guy who will thrive immediately in the NFL. Another concerning statistic is that he was sacked 51 times in 2021. He is able to move around in the pocket, but he has shown that he tends to hold onto the ball for too long. The Steelers current offensive line would not allow him to excel.

Willis was responsible for 40 total touchdowns last season including rushing for 13 of them. He certainly seems to be a better fit in Matt Canada‘s offense more so than any other quarterback option at this point. It would be fun to draft Willis, but he is a guy whose name could potentially be forgotten about in five years if he doesn’t develop properly.

I still believe in the scenario that Tomlin will give Mason Rudolph a chance and as he underperforms, we could see a rookie quarterback get the nod midseason. Whether McShay is accurate in this prediction or not, it is very enticing to think about and hope for another franchise quarterback in Pittsburgh sooner rather than later.

Would you be okay trading up four spots to draft Willis? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Man I’m not trading up for potential. This guy is way too raw for us to be drafting in round one and especially trading up for.

If there is a QB there they love (whether we like him or not), moving up 3 spots to snag him is pretty easy to stomach. It will suck probably losing a 3rd round pick as we need to draft DL and OL early this year since we need a starter on both lines coming from the draft in addition to one each from free agency.

no no no no no

No for me. But majority of every mock draft we see for next 2 months is gonna be something to this effect. I still say fix both the lines, ILB’s, and secondary. FA and the draft still ain’t gonna do it in one year, just my .02…..

I could see it now the rats and the Steelers would meet twice a year in the, " good as it gone get bowl". Wanna view it here it go.

Our running QB and Najee and their RB Action Jackson running around like chicken little with their head cut off doing a football rendition of the safety dance. Oh we can run if we want to, we'll leave other parts of the offense behind, and if you can't run and if you can't run...well your no pedigree of mine.

I hope someone takes him in the top 5 so we don’t do anything stupid… on the flip side if we take him because Tomlin loves him and he busts, Tomlin is almost certainly getting fired in the next couple of seasons lol

Move up for a QB, but not 'watchyoutalkinbout Willis'. Roll with MR or a FA, and let the rookie learn for a year. Then draft OL, DL, ILB. Maybe a WR.

Those 12 INTs at Liberty extrapolate to around 40 in the NFL.

Sure....
Lets go from the 'wrecking ball' of NFL QB's (Roethlisberger)
to the 'Faberge Egg' of NFL QB's (Wentz)

Behind THIS OL, that should work REALLY well.

Sure....

DING DING DING WINNER

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/9lh5NUIyjcvQJhEQpN" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Sure....

Just imagine the humdinger of a QB competition in camp. Which of the three would emerge victorious? They better fix the Oline so they don't end up looking like bowling pins.