• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin on Brian Flores ‘His Contributions Are Going to be Significant.

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
On Sunday Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin held his first press conference of the new league year. With the Steelers busy the last few weeks with Pro Days and free agency there was a lot for Tomlin to cover. One of the topics covered was the addition of ex-Dolphin’s Head Coach Brian Flores to his coaching staff.

Flores was shockingly fired by the Miami Dolphins after leading the Dolphins to back to back seasons above .500 for the first time in 20 years. Flore’s official title will be Senior Defensive Assistant and Linebacker coach. Specifically Flores will coach the Steelers inside linebackers. Tomlin expanded a little bit on how Flores will help him, and the Steelers in 2022.

“Senior defensive assistant and linebacker coach is his title, but there’s so many ways that he’s going to help us and help me,” Tomlin said. “His contributions are going to be significant.”

It’s noteworthy to highlight the fact that Tomlin said specifically that he will ‘help me’. Flores doesn’t have anywhere near the experience that Tomlin has, but he’s considered one of the brightest minds in the game. Flores worked for the New England Patriots for 10 years starting as a special teams assistant before moving to the defensive side of the ball. He transitioned from Safeties coach to Linebacker coach before the Dolphins hired him to be their head coach.

After Flores was fired from the Dolphins he came out with a lawsuit against the NFL. Claiming that NFL teams were giving interviews to minorities to only satisfy the Rooney Rule. He also claimed that Dolphins’ owner Stephen Ross had offered him $100,000 to lose games in an effort to help their draft position. There was a possiblilty that Flores would be black balled by NFL ownership even though he was considered a top name available for a coaching position.

It wasn’t until a friendly conversation with Tomlin did Flores end up with a new job.

“I wanted to stay close to Brian when his legal issues started. I just didn’t want him to feel like he was on an island. From a coaching fraternity standpoint, I owed him that. … I was in position to provide that.”

Tomlin, one of only a few minority head coaches left, was able to help his friend. That help turned into something that will benefit the Steelers greatly. Flores will be tasked with fixing linebacker Devin Bush, and he also acquired a shiny new toy last week when the Steelers signed Myles Jack.

“To have an opportunity to impact the game in a positive way, to impact society in a positive way,” Tomlin said on the significance of hiring Flores. “It’s continually an honor to be a part of something that the Rooney family started and led for a long time before my existence here.”
Coach Tomlin said Brian Flores shared the same level of enthusiasm about joining the Steelers as the team had him about Flores joining them.

Said he can bring a lot to the table. Said his contributions will be significant.

— Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) March 27, 2022

With Teryl Austin taking over as Defensive Coordinator, and Flores on the sidelines there will be change on Defense. It won’t be significant, but if all of these great defensive minds and fix the little things, this Steelers defense can be the best it’s been in years.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Tomlin will still have the final "hand" on things.

I like the addition defensive minds and maybe they can get some game planning and in game adjustments made ......... durring the game.

Salute the nation

Tomlin interview. Was pretty good overall. Think the Tuitt situation has dragged out long enough but I did hear that they would address the position. So there is that.

Lets see how Coach Tomlin does with this group of players................................. and no extensions

Salute the nation
He already proved one of his many detractors mantras' wrong with the hire of Flores, someone who could be a legitimate threat to him. We have been told he wouldn't hire someone who could replace him. I hope Mike proves a lot of people wrong this year. Although I suspect some will never admit it.

He already proved one of his many detractors mantras' wrong with the hire of Flores, someone who could be a legitimate threat to him. We have been told he wouldn't hire someone who could replace him. I hope Mike proves a lot of people wrong this year. Although I suspect some will never admit it.
I can't speak for others but my want still remains simple. Show you can win playoff games and be competitive in the process. Flores is really a breath of fresh air. It is a shame we don't have one of those on offense, but glad for what we got.

I'm in the same boat and have advocated for a replace of SBWCMVLT. I am also rooting for him to succeed to the highest degree.

He has had similar teams but has come up short but it only takes one season to change things around. He is demonstrating this this year.

Salute the nation