• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin on Steelers injuries

Spike

Reaction score
Tomlin: No decision yet on approach to Dupree injury

The Steelers' injury situation heading into the season opener against the Washington Redskins looked bleak 48 hours ago.

However, coach Mike Tomlin gave that dreary look a splash of color during his weekly news conference Tuesday.

Bud Dupree may not have surgery to fix a sports hernia that landed him on injured reserve.

Javon Hargrave's leg injury suffered during Monday's practice isn't bad.

Marcus Gilbert's elbow won't keep him out of the game, and Cam Heyward's ankle is progressing enough to be listed as day-to-day.

Tomlin is hoping to have at least three of the four players available for the opener Monday night.

“We have an extra day, so we will utilize that extra day,” Tomlin said. “Hopefully, that extra day is beneficial to us, and to them individually, in terms of their preparation and overall availability and readiness. But I feel optimistic about all of those guys.”

The most promising news is that Dupree might not need surgery to repair a muscular core injury that he's been trying to battle through for the past month.

Tomlin said that last year's No. 1 pick will have a medical examination over the “next couple days” to determine what direction the team will take in regards to his rehabilitation.

“We took the timetable off of it, and we just want to get him healthy and, hopefully, he will be back in uniform for us in 2016 and be the core contributor to our efforts that he is capable of being,” Tomlin said when asked about placing Dupree on injured reserve.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11096119-74/tomlin-dupree-injury

---------------------

Sunshine!

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Spike

Reaction score
Go root for the Browns!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Translated from Tomlineese:

Hargrave will start
Gilbert will start at RT
Cam is a questionable (Though I personally don't think he will play)
Dupree is out (On IR of course).

So with Bud, we now have a confirmation that the surgery didn't happen on the Sports Hernia. 2 months is a good amount of time to rest it. We are still on the same time table as we'd be on for the Sports Hernia Surgery, so He should start doing sports training in 3 weeks and should be done at 6. This will place him on the active practice roster at week 6 and he should be ready to go week 9 barring any setbacks.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...t-heyward-practice-wednesday-hargrave-unsure/

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would be surprised if Dupre doesn't have to have surgery on the sports hernia.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Translated from Tomlineese:

Hargrave will start
Gilbert will start at RT
Cam is a questionable (Though I personally don't think he will play)
Dupree is out (On IR of course).

So with Bud, we now have a confirmation that the surgery didn't happen on the Sports Hernia. 2 months is a good amount of time to rest it. We are still on the same time table as we'd be on for the Sports Hernia Surgery, so He should start doing sports training in 3 weeks and should be done at 6. This will place him on the active practice roster at week 6 and he should be ready to go week 9 barring any setbacks.

Good work on the translation!

About how I see it. I tend to think Heyward plays, but the Steelers play him less snaps than normal. Dupree is the quesiton mark. The problem is if he ends up needing surgery at a later date, the Steelers are losing him for even more games.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect ANY Coach to show there hand, now - before the game, or during the season...

Buddy needs to do whatever is necessary for him to get back on the field at 100% - anything less, at this stage in his career, is unnecessary...

P

POP

Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah

Yeah, he might as well have said water is wet.

About how I see it. I tend to think Heyward plays, but the Steelers play him less snaps than normal. Dupree is the quesiton mark. The problem is if he ends up needing surgery at a later date, the Steelers are losing him for even more games.

My thoughts as well. Putting off surgery but then still needing it later worries me.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
My thoughts as well. Putting off surgery but then still needing it later worries me.

So doing what is medically advisable for all people should be cast aside because... oh he plays for your team and win at all costs.

Damn sig keeps coming up wrong

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If we'd of had him just get the surgery in June he'd be healthy in September. WTF medical staff were you too busy looking at Ladarius Green's ankle?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I hear you, either way, with or without surgery, we have a 2 week window to decide if he needs surgery. He'll be ready either way in 9 weeks no matter what the decision is. That is good news.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
OUR medical staff knows a HELL of a lot more about our players than anybody here. The snide comments are just that, snide. Anyone can make a mistake but the odds of anyone here knowing more than the PITTSBURGH medical staff (inclusive) is very small. If bud needs surgery, than so be it and on the prescribed time line. Do I wish the timeline was more favorable, hell yes. Most things medical are NOT just cut and dry. You don't just look at the "oweie" And say "cut me Mick" and go to surgery. These guys are receiving the best medical available. You or I would be laid up many a week longer, using our personal medical staff. FRUSTRATION.........yes, I get that, but patience is what will be needed.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think the frustration is this. He doesn't get the surgery but ends up needing it that will add weeks of not months to the process. I will say this. If surgery ends his season anyway and they are looking at this then OK. But it would be frustrating if he got the surgery and was say good in 8 weeks. But they end up ******* around with this and he ends up getting it anyhow.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the frustration is this. He doesn't get the surgery but ends up needing it that will add weeks of not months to the process. I will say this. If surgery ends his season anyway and they are looking at this then OK. But it would be frustrating if he got the surgery and was say good in 8 weeks. But they end up ******* around with this and he ends up getting it anyhow.

That surgery has a 3-6 week recovery. No need to end his season yet.