• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 3 Steelers Games without Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, or Le’Veon Bell Since 2004

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I know this is a very specific title and you’re probably wondering why we are talking about this, but bear with me. When you think back to every Pittsburgh Steelers game you’ve ever watched, are you able to remember any victorious game off the top of your head that fits this title? Chances are, probably not. But it’s time to buckle up, because we are about to experience this in the very near future (shout out to 2021 for continuing to be increasingly more unpredictable). Because we don’t know what the future holds in regards to PA’s favorite team, we are going to keep our heads high and remain optimistic, while re-living some of the best days since Big Ben Roethlisberger came into the league and didn’t have, err, didn’t NEED, the likes of Le’Veon Bell’s Spotify or Antonio Brown’s “maturity”. Without further ado, here are my top 3 Steelers games without the “Triple B’s” since 2004 (in chronological order):

Steelers vs Browns​

November 13, 2005​

34-21 Steelers win​

Let’s go back to the magical season that was the Super Bowl XL winning season. This season was filled with highs and lows, not to mention major injuries. More notable injuries, like when Roethlisberger went down with a knee injury in San Diego that kept him out for 4 games. With a decent Cleveland Browns team (hey, I can say that after seeing the 2020 NFC East) coming into Heinz Field in a critical part of the season, it forced the Steelers to get creative at the QB position. Charlie Batch, Tommy Maddox, and Antwaan Randel El all threw passes that game. Not to mention we got a look at that record-setting reverse TD pass to Hines Ward about two and a half months before Super Bowl XL.

Steelers vs. Falcons​

September 12, 2010​

15-9 Steelers win​

Think back to the dark Roethlisberger days in 2010; yep, I’m talking about that 4-game suspension Roger Goodell smacked down on him amidst “violations of the NFL’s personal conduct policy”. Remember how this was so bad that the Rooney’s were actually trying to trade him away from Pittsburgh? Like actively shopping him on the market and there were no takers? Sheesh, what a memory.

Any who, to help kick start the 2010 (what would ultimately be another Super Bowl) season, the Steelers rolled out Dennis Dixon and another all-star defense against the Atlanta Falcons. In typical Steelers fashion, it took a toe-tapping interception by Troy Polamalu and a 50-yard touchdown gallop by Rashard Mendenhall to start 2010 1-0.

Steelers vs Browns​

December 1, 2019​

20-13 Steelers win​

Yep, we all know about this one. To be honest, this game was hand-in-hand with Devlin Hodges’s first NFL start against the Los Angeles Chargers. But with the 2019 history between these two teams, I had to put this match-up higher than LA. If you’re like me, this game (and what transpired about 2 weeks prior) is still is very fresh in your mind and little needs to be said about how big of a game this was in an otherwise irrelevant season. But let us not forget, James Washington came to play this game, the Duck calls were flying along the confluence, and revenge was served that overcast day.

HONORABLE MENTION​

Steelers vs. Ravens​

December 2nd, 2012​

23-20 Steelers win​

I felt bad not including this. This game falls into this category with the exception of one piece- Antonio Brown. If it says anything, Brown had less receiving yards than Heath Miller and Emmanuel Sanders and threw a dumb interception. And Shaun Suisam accounted for 11 points this game. That is why it is included as an Honorable Mention. Charlie Batch also makes up for the AB inclusion in this game and comes out swinging. Batch goes on to toss 276 yards with a touchdown, and was even a leading blocker on Jonathan Dwyer’s touchdown run. There’s just something about a backup Steelers QB going into a sold out Baltimore stadium, in December, at 4:25 pm EST, and WINS that gets me going.

I’m praying for better Ben days ahead, believe me, but hopefully this helps prepare us for the alternative.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Green Bay in 2005 vs. Brett Favre when Troy picked up the strip sack and ran it for TD. Really poor offense that day, defense stepped up.

Buffalo in 2004 Finale: It got Steelers to 15 wins milestone + it was break out games for Willie Parker and James Harrison

3-0 Start in 2010: Mendenhall was huge, Polamalu was massive—but whole team stepped up to get Steelers out to what should have been 4-0 start.