• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump poised to violate Constitution his first day in office, George W. Bush’s ethics

Elfiero

Banned
Reaction score
Trump poised to violate Constitution his first day in office, George W. Bush’s ethics lawyer says

Bwahahaha ha ha haha oh oh ha ha ha ha oh my! ha ha ha ha!

Tell me about the corruption coming to an end again! Bwahahaha ha ha ha oh god this is too much.

Drain the swamp! Just keep an eye on the guy running the pump! ha ha ha ha ohh oh oh my sides.....Bwahaha ha ha suckers one and all.

The guy who never settles.....just settled for 25 million so as to avoid the circus of a president-elect testifying on his ripping off of innocent victims, some at $35,000 a pop at Trump "U".....Bwahaha ha ha dumbasses!

Drain that courtroom.....errr.. Drain that swamp!

Trump poised to violate Constitution his first day in office, George W. Bush’s ethics lawyer says

The Constitution doesn’t allow presidents to seek gifts from foreign agents.

Friday evening, the Washington Post reported that about 100 foreign diplomats gathered at President-elect Donald Trump’s hotel in Washington, DC to “to sip Trump-branded champagne, dine on sliders and hear a sales pitch about the U.S. president-elect’s newest hotel.” The tour included a look at the hotel’s $20,000 a night “town house” suite. The Post also quoted some of the diplomats saying they intended to stay at the hotel in order to ingratiate themselves to the incoming president.

“Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’” said one diplomat from an Asian nation. “Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your competitor?’”

The incoming president, in other words, is actively soliciting business from agents of foreign governments. Many of these agents, in turn, said that they will accept the president-elect’s offer to do business because they want to win favor with the new leader of the United States.

In an exclusive exchange with ThinkProgress, Richard Painter, a University of Minnesota law professor who previously served as chief ethics counsel to President George W. Bush, says that Trump’s efforts to do business with these diplomats is at odds with a provision of the Constitution intended to prevent foreign states from effectively buying influence with federal officials.

The Constitution’s “Emoluments Clause,” provides that “no person holding any office of profit or trust under” the United States “shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.”

The diplomats’ efforts in seek Trump’s favor by staying in his hotel “looks like a gift,” Painter told ThinkProgress in an email, and thus is the very kind of favor the Constitution seeks to prevent.

To explain, the ordinary rule under the Emoluments Clause is that federal officials may do business with foreign governments so long as they do not receive special treatment. If the president owns a $200,000 Rolls Royce, Painter told ThinkProgress, they can sell that car to the Queen of England, so long as they only receive its fair market value. If Her Majesty The Queen pays $250,000 for the Rolls Royce, however, that would violate the Emoluments Clause.

There’s a catch, however, for someone like Trump who trades on the value of his own name. “Anything in excess of fair market value is a gift,” according to Painter, “and I don’t think you can take into account the value of the name Trump in calculating fair market value.” The diplomats are not staying in one of Trump’s expensive luxury hotels because Trump is charging their nation a reasonable market rate for a night’s stay. They are staying in the hotel because of the added value that comes from doing business with the President of the United States.

“It had better stop by January 20,” says Painter.

In a follow up exchange, ThinkProgress asked whether Trump really can cure this impending violation of the Emoluments Clause by acting differently once he is sworn in as president. After all, the message that diplomats can earn the favor of the new president by staying in his hotels has already been received, and it can’t exactly be unsaid.
Painter responded that “the only good answer,” for the president-elect “is to sell the hotel or give it to his kids (and pay the gift tax) by January 20.”

Assuming that Trump does not divest from his hotel, however, it may prove difficult to enforce the Constitution against him. There are few court cases dealing with the Emoluments Clause. Typically, the country has relied on internal safeguards within the executive branch and fear of political embarrassment to prevent violations by the president.

Moreover, while it is conceivable that a rival hotel may have standing to sue Trump for taking away its business with foreign diplomats in violation of the Constitution, it’s far from clear that any hotel business will want to risk a feud with the notoriously vindictive president-elect.

There is, however, at least one remedy under the Constitution for such a violation of the public trust by the president: impeachment.

UPDATE: On Twitter, Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe agrees with Painter (the thread Tribe refers to links to this article).

Last edited:
Fake news - no link - ThinkProgress?

send this to the garbage bin

There’s a catch, however, for someone like Trump who trades on the value of his own name. “Anything in excess of fair market value is a gift,” according to Painter, “and I don’t think you can take into account the value of the name Trump in calculating fair market value.” The diplomats are not staying in one of Trump’s expensive luxury hotels because Trump is charging their nation a reasonable market rate for a night’s stay. They are staying in the hotel because of the added value that comes from doing business with the President of the United States.

Except that sort of blows the whole argument out of the water right there.
You need to look up John Huang, Charlie Trie, the Riady family, and the Worthen Bank of Little Rock.

Yes, and I remember how outraged you were at Clinton selling the office of Secretary of State for massive "donations" and "speaking fees," i.e., complete air rather than an actual service.

Oh, hold on, you did not say a ******* word, did you? DID YOU?

So do the planet a favor and kill yourself.

Nothing to see here.

Of course not...............

monkey.jpg

We only get our "news" from Breitbart, right Charles?

"Calling Breitbart a news site is like saying the R. Kelly sex tape is a rom- com."-----SNL

But..but.....Hillary ....e-mails.....Bill...but....Bwahaha ha ha ha

Funny watching these libs reaching for possible future crimes while completely ignoring the real crimes of Hillary.

The future crimes division of the Bushes would've loved to have Clinton win - they backed her - this is still garbage

**** the Bushes - Trump destroyed their boy JEB and the Clintons in one election!

hahahahaha - desperate Dem sites are pathetic

ThinkProgress = leftwing batshit

Funny watching these libs reaching for possible future crimes while completely ignoring the real crimes of Hillary.

Search ElfTard's history looking for one piece of outrage over Hillary's crimes. It's a never-ending easter egg hunt (you find no eggs)

Trumps ripping off people in a real estate school scam is in the future?

Oh yeah he has to have something to do after impeachment.....Bwahahah ha ha ha! Oh Jesus!

The future crimes division of the Bushes would've loved to have Clinton win - they backed her - this is still garbage

**** the Bushes - Trump destroyed their boy JEB and the Clintons in one election!

hahahahaha - desperate Dem sites are pathetic

ThinkProgress = leftwing batshit

So Bush's ex ethics lawyer and another constitutional lawyer at Harvard who has no association with the Bush family are part of some left wing conspiracy right?

Yeah batshit crazy is the right term..

LMAO ThinkProgress strikes again!

ElfTard attempts to belittle right-wing sights like Breitbart but in the same wretched breath spews bile from ThinkProgress.

You really can't make this **** up. Just sit back, grab some popcorn.

tumblr_n0ifvwWvQM1qgir5no1_r1_500.gif

Actually I'm the one who is entertained reading every post refusing to confront Trump's corruption......Bwahaha ha ha ha...

If this is the kind of **** that Elfie is going to post, I might stop opening them.

hahahaha

Effie gonna need gallons of ointment for the butthurt that's coming

Trumps ripping off people in a real estate school scam is in the future?

Oh yeah he has to have something to do after impeachment.....Bwahahah ha ha ha! Oh Jesus!
You can't even stay on your own topic.

Actually I'm the one who is entertained reading every post refusing to confront Trump's corruption......Bwahaha ha ha ha...

Unlike Steeltime who wishes you to die, you humor me like a lap dog. Feel free to continue to be our side show and perpetually make a fool of yourself, pretend to be multiple races, a victim of multiple conditions, and generally act an angry, schizophrenic fool. Translation: Just keep being you LOL.

You'll provide a persistent reminder of what we never want to return to, while simultaneously providing us chuckles along the way.

So Bush's ex ethics lawyer and another constitutional lawyer at Harvard who has no association with the Bush family are part of some left wing conspiracy right?

You have no idea what you're talking about - you believe every little scrap of garbage now because you lost

Richard Painter - the one spewing this bullshit is a Wall Street lawyer - avowed Hillary supporter!

Any shill lawyer can be bought to say anything, especially one paid for by the Clinton Foundation

rpainter.jpg

As a pro-business Republican, my vote is for ... Clinton

I’ll be voting for Hillary Clinton to become our next president.

http://www.startribune.com/as-a-republican-businessman-my-vote-is-for-clinton/387988082/

Let me explain, you stupid **** ...

The purported "corruption" has not ******* happened yet, you dumb *****.

Hillary's corruption measuring in the hundreds of millions has already occurred.

So you are getting your dry, crusty **** twisted up about what some rag site claims might happen, and said not one ******* word - NOT ONE, YOU CRUSTY ***** - about Clinton's actual, proven corruption that is under FBI investigation.

So as Supe has recommended and I now second, suck a Glock.

Let me explain, you stupid **** ...

The purported "corruption" has not ******* happened yet, you dumb *****.

Hillary's corruption measuring in the hundreds of millions has already occurred.

So you are getting your dry, crusty **** twisted up about what some rag site claims might happen, and said not one ******* word - NOT ONE, YOU CRUSTY ***** - about Clinton's actual, proven corruption that is under FBI investigation.

So as Supe has recommended and I now second, suck a Glock.

Whoa, whoa, hold on there Mr. Shiny Shoes.
You know that facts are not allowed in any thread that Elfie starts!

Let me simply explain why this is a dead end non issue... If you follow this path you eventually lead to all politicians having to divest themselves of all holdings where this could take place... Which, while noble in concept.. Is never going to get any dem or repub politician to set precident with... Hillary herself benoaned such thinking... Mostly cause she sold government favors for cash most of her life...

Politicans arent going to neuter their own profitability to make some butt hurt constituants feel better...