• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

U.S. Steel Announces $1.2 Billion Investment to Upgrade Pennsylvania Facilities…

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The U.S. Steel and Aluminum industry has been a key focus of President Trump in an effort to reestablish a critical industry for America. Part of the administration strategy was broad-based tariffs aimed at curbing China’s dumping of government subsidized product globally. The broad global application of the tariffs defeated the Chinese trans-shipment strategy to avoid them.

Despite opposition from Wall Street republicans and democrats purchased by K-Street lobbyists, the administration policy has been exceptionally successful at driving investment into the U.S. manufacturing base. The multinationals are furious.

(U.S. Steel) United States Steel Corporation is investing more than $1 billion in the place where our reputation as a trusted industry leader was first forged more than a century ago: our Mon Valley Works near Pittsburgh.

The investment involves the construction of a cutting-edge, sustainable endless casting and rolling facility at Mon Valley’s Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pa., – the first of its kind in the United States – and a new cogeneration facility with state-of-the-art emissions control technology at the nearby Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pa. (link)

PITTSBURGH May 2, 2019– United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) announced today it will invest more than $1 billion to construct a new sustainable endless casting and rolling facility at its Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pa., and a cogeneration facility at its Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pa., both part of the company’s Mon Valley Works.

The cutting-edge endless casting and rolling technology combines thin slab casting and hot rolled band production into one continuous process and will make Mon Valley Works the first facility of this type in the United States, and one of only a handful in the world.

“This is a truly transformational investment for U. S. Steel. We are combining our integrated steelmaking process with industry-leading endless casting and rolling to reinvest in steelmaking and secure the future for a new generation of steelworkers in Western Pennsylvania and the Mon Valley,” said David B. Burritt, President and Chief Executive Officer of U. S. Steel.

“U. S. Steel’s investment in leading technology and advanced manufacturing aligns with our vision to be the industry leader in delivering high-quality, value-added products and innovative solutions that address our customers’ most challenging steel needs for the future. We believe that adding sustainable steel technology to our footprint will create long-term value for our employees, our region, our customers and our investors.” (read more)

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Congrats to @U_S_Steel for investing $1+ BILLION in America's most INNOVATIVE steel mill. 232 Tariffs make Pennsylvania and USA more prosperous/secure by bringing Steel and Aluminum industries BACK. Tariffs are working. Pittsburgh is again The Steel City. USA Economy is BOOMING!

U. S. Steel
@U_S_Steel
To secure the future of #steelmaking and #mfg in Western #PA, we’re proud to invest in state-of-the-art technology to create an endless casting and rolling facility. This technology will make Mon Valley Works the first facility of this type in the US. https://www.ussteel.com/locations/mon-valley-works-investment

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...nvestment-to-upgrade-pennsylvania-facilities/

The U.S. Steel and Aluminum industry has been a key focus of President Trump in an effort to reestablish a critical industry for America. Part of the administration strategy was broad-based tariffs aimed at curbing China’s dumping of government subsidized product globally. The broad global application of the tariffs defeated the Chinese trans-shipment strategy to avoid them.

Despite opposition from Wall Street republicans and democrats purchased by K-Street lobbyists, the administration policy has been exceptionally successful at driving investment into the U.S. manufacturing base. The multinationals are furious.

(U.S. Steel) United States Steel Corporation is investing more than $1 billion in the place where our reputation as a trusted industry leader was first forged more than a century ago: our Mon Valley Works near Pittsburgh.

The investment involves the construction of a cutting-edge, sustainable endless casting and rolling facility at Mon Valley’s Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pa., – the first of its kind in the United States – and a new cogeneration facility with state-of-the-art emissions control technology at the nearby Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pa. (link)

PITTSBURGH May 2, 2019– United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) announced today it will invest more than $1 billion to construct a new sustainable endless casting and rolling facility at its Edgar Thomson Plant in Braddock, Pa., and a cogeneration facility at its Clairton Plant in Clairton, Pa., both part of the company’s Mon Valley Works.

The cutting-edge endless casting and rolling technology combines thin slab casting and hot rolled band production into one continuous process and will make Mon Valley Works the first facility of this type in the United States, and one of only a handful in the world.

“This is a truly transformational investment for U. S. Steel. We are combining our integrated steelmaking process with industry-leading endless casting and rolling to reinvest in steelmaking and secure the future for a new generation of steelworkers in Western Pennsylvania and the Mon Valley,” said David B. Burritt, President and Chief Executive Officer of U. S. Steel.

“U. S. Steel’s investment in leading technology and advanced manufacturing aligns with our vision to be the industry leader in delivering high-quality, value-added products and innovative solutions that address our customers’ most challenging steel needs for the future. We believe that adding sustainable steel technology to our footprint will create long-term value for our employees, our region, our customers and our investors.” (read more)

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Congrats to @U_S_Steel for investing $1+ BILLION in America's most INNOVATIVE steel mill. 232 Tariffs make Pennsylvania and USA more prosperous/secure by bringing Steel and Aluminum industries BACK. Tariffs are working. Pittsburgh is again The Steel City. USA Economy is BOOMING!

U. S. Steel
@U_S_Steel
To secure the future of #steelmaking and #mfg in Western #PA, we’re proud to invest in state-of-the-art technology to create an endless casting and rolling facility. This technology will make Mon Valley Works the first facility of this type in the US. https://www.ussteel.com/locations/mon-valley-works-investment

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...nvestment-to-upgrade-pennsylvania-facilities/

I’ve been there many times. Dravosburg, baby! I love U.S. Steel. My biggest customer. Go USA and Thank You President Trump!

What magic wand is this?

That has to be the best ******* thing I've read in a long long time. My entire extended family had to leave western pa after hundreds of years dating back before the revolutionary war. I had always hoped something or someone would turn that place around.

It's a great start.

That has to be the best ******* thing I've read in a long long time. My entire extended family had to leave western pa after hundreds of years dating back before the revolutionary war. I had always hoped something or someone would turn that place around.

It's a great start.

This is awesome news.

Earlier this week Charles Grassley was threatening Trump and his USMCA trade deal over the tariffs that have helped produce what we are reading here in this thread.

Grassley was probably in congress when NAFTA was voted on and sold the steel industry and American jobs and communities down the ******* 3 rivers. Pricks like that need to hear from us now. Today.

Grassley and his cohorts Democrats and Republicans alike are representing the entrenched interests of DC, K street lobbyists, and the Chamber of Commerce. They simply cannot believe that a man who knew their game beat them at it.

**** Paul Ryan.

I'm sure the same thing was about to happen when Obama was president, not.

Someone who thinks they're privy to the investment/company says that it's going to be a lot of automation and won't create many jobs. I say whatever, they're producing steel that they didn't in the past because of lazy & foolish trade policies.

Someone who thinks they're privy to the investment/company says that it's going to be a lot of automation and won't create many jobs. I say whatever, they're producing steel that they didn't in the past because of lazy & foolish trade policies.

Whether the plan itself produces jobs, $1.2b invested in the area should produce a great number of jobs. Someone has to maintain the automation, they have to have places to spend the money, people have to build out what is not there now, buy supplies, etc.

We just completed helping JSW refurbish the old Pittsburgh Wheeling Steel plant. I visited the place over a year ago, and it looked impossible to get it running again. They started making steel within the last month. Fantastic.

I don't know how anyone can't be thankful for the current administration.

We just completed helping JSW refurbish the old Pittsburgh Wheeling Steel plant. I visited the place over a year ago, and it looked impossible to get it running again. They started making steel within the last month. Fantastic.

I bet that was a hell of a job. When Wheeling-Pitt was in business I regularly visited the Steubenville, Yorkville and Allenport mills. They were all really ****** back then. I remember walking around piles of snow inside Allenport because the holes in the roof were so big.

They aren't happy because those Steel Workers were suppose to be learning to code by now.

Grassley has been a beast on the judiciary committee. I dont get this. Our former governor is tight with Xi so maybe it's that. I knew it was weird that ******* Terry Branstead was buddies with the Chinese leader. My sister in law used to work for braindead as we affectionately call him. Her former co-worker just visited as their guests in China.

Weird. A president motivated by what’s best for America results in good things for America.

Grassley has been there since 1980, more good than bad no doubt, especially on judges.

But there are TRILLIONS of dollars at stake.

He flat out said this week that there will be no vote on USMCA Trade until Trump pulls the tariffs. That means NAFTA stays in place.

Then, after undoubtedly hearing a good deal of **** about it from his constituents he clarified how Trump was on the precipice of a big win on a China trade deal and he was just trying to bring it home. Really?, then stay out of it and put the USMCA Trade deal up for ratification. Do your job. Let Trump do his.

He needs to get the hell out of the way and let the businessman President get **** done. The tariffs are the reason for this thread despite all of the howls from the pearl clutching conservatives like Paul Ryan and Mittens Romney.

Last edited:
Whether the plan itself produces jobs, $1.2b invested in the area should produce a great number of jobs. Someone has to maintain the automation, they have to have places to spend the money, people have to build out what is not there now, buy supplies, etc.

Yep it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

I'm sure the same thing was about to happen when Obama was president, not.

Saw comments that said exactly that, been the works for 10 years. And local reporters worried about how much tax money will be used to make this happen, and of course, what about the environment?

Can't let the orange headed man win.

Saw comments that said exactly that, been the works for 10 years. And local reporters worried about how much tax money will be used to make this happen, and of course, what about the environment?

Can't let the orange headed man win.

U.S. Steel lost millions of dollars pretty much every quarter that Obama was in office. He allowed China and other countries to flood our market with cheap steel that was subsidized by their government. They eliminated thousands of jobs and stopped all capitol improvements. Under Trump they are thriving. I have seen this first hand. Anyone who says differently is full of ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

U.S. Steel lost millions of dollars pretty much every quarter that Obama was in office. He allowed China and other countries to flood our market with cheap steel that was subsidized by their government. They eliminated thousands of jobs and stopped all capitol improvements. Under Trump they are thriving. I have seen this first hand. Anyone who says differently is full of ****.

Facts have nothing to do with hating the Orange Man, Indy.

Orange Man - bad.

Bammy and his husband - good.