• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

US Womens' Soccer Team Doesn't want to Stand for Anthem

They can sit out of the games then.

I completely agree. If you won't respect the Flag and the Anthem, don't play for the National Team. The US should pay players who go around the world protesting the US?
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’d rather the US not have a soccer team than have a soccer team that won’t stand for the National Anthem. <br><br>You shouldn’t get to play under our flag as our national team if you won’t stand when it is raised.</p>— Matt Gaetz (@mattgaetz) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1271082552237965313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As I've said in every thread, I don't believe you should protest while at work unless it is a labor dispute. I know this protest is not about disrespecting the flag, I just am not looking forward to the over-the-top media coverage of it. When I watch sports, I just want to be entertained. Stand up for your beliefs all you want after you're on the clock. However, it's gonna happen and it will happen in all sports. It actually seems like it's being encouraged. As long as we don't get 24-7 coverage of every player kneeling, I'm already over it.

I believe it is time to stop playing the anthem before sporting events.

I kind of agree. Take away the platform and they can't be disrespectful. **** their cause if they won't promote any other way.

**** these losers. All of them. I hope they burn in hell.

Stand for the anthem. End of story. Would we protect their right to protest by allowing them to sit for the Chinese anthem? Oh, that would be insulting and disrespectful so not allowed. How about a game against Saudi Arabia, the nation that funds terrorists, tortures political prisoners, assassinates gays? Would it be okay to show my position by refusing to stand for their anthem?

No. No, it wouldn't. These same pompous, self-absorbed fleas, getting paid by US to represent US against other nations, are disgusting cowards, publicity hounds, and nobodies who would never disrespect Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, etc. by refusing to stand for their anthems.

You know, countries that ACTUALLY have political prisoners and substantial numbers of slaves, nations that ACTUALLY have two-tiered systems depending on race and gender. Nope, cannot disrespect them, no siree.

So goddamn sick of fake brave people. Bravely spitting on and shouting obscenities at police, knowing the police will not do what I would do and billy-club them into a coma. Bravely protesting the freest nation the planet has ever seen, while showing respect to murderous commie regimes or governments built on royalty. I could not make this up.

I kind of agree. Take away the platform and they can't be disrespectful. **** their cause if they won't promote any other way.

keep playing it and let them do whatever they want. I’m over it. Just stop asking them about it and they’ll stop as soon as they aren’t getting the attention. That’s why the protests did stop, because networks stopped televising the anthem and it went away.

it is absurd to argue that they need the anthem as a “platform".

Wait, Women's soccer is still a thing?

Tv networks don't have to show people during the anthem. They could put their cameras on something else. The anthem could be played at the stadium while TV shows commercials. Or just eliminate the anthem all together. What does the anthem have to do with any sport anyway?

Wait, Women's soccer is still a thing?

I prefer to watch them pole vault. And beach volleyball.
Saw a funny meme on FB but I can't find it now. Showed one guy in the grandstand and the caption "women's soccer before protests" then the same grandstand empty and "women's soccer after protests".

Bill O'Brein say he's going to kneel during the Anthem now.

I've said during the Kapernick thread it wasn't really about the kneeling to me. I think it's a useless gesture that just tells me something of your character. I see people at every sporting event not take their hats off or sit through the anthem. I feel the same about them. And remember, Kapernick didn't start out "kneeling" respectfully. He started out sitting on his *** on the bench with a look of contempt on his face. Then he wore the pig socks. Then he praised Castro. I know what is in Kapernicks mind on this point and it's not as benevolent as the media now makes it. He is also heavily influenced by his radical girlfriend who has a string of controversial opinions on her radio program.

I think we are headed for a Black History Year rather than a month. And people will get tired of the preaching after a while, especially when the preaching ranges from realistic reforms to outright radical ideologies that have no chance of support or legislation. The media will realize the preaching isn't getting ratings and clicks and eventually move on. And once the media coverage stops, the movement stops. This is 21st century America now. Some other controversy will replace it. Some other victim class will demand their issue becomes more important and in the spotlight.

At this point, no owner or corporation is going to stop protesting on company time (which is certainly understandable and reasonable request). The risk of backlash is too strong. But if the negative effects on the "business" become too great, then the leagues will just eliminate the national anthem all together. Find another way (without outright prohibiting it) to stop the negative reactions to protesting.

I mean, be prepared to watch a TD celebration this year that simulates George Floyd's death. A player will act out Floyd, a player will act out the cop. Players will kneel after TD's. Players will raise fists. Kneeling during the anthem isn't going to generate enough outrage anymore to be a useful tool in protesting. They will push the envelope.

Bill O'Brein say he's going to kneel during the Anthem now.

I've said during the Kapernick thread it wasn't really about the kneeling to me. I think it's a useless gesture that just tells me something of your character. I see people at every sporting event not take their hats off or sit through the anthem. I feel the same about them. And remember, Kapernick didn't start out "kneeling" respectfully. He started out sitting on his *** on the bench with a look of contempt on his face. Then he wore the pig socks. Then he praised Castro. I know what is in Kapernicks mind on this point and it's not as benevolent as the media now makes it. He is also heavily influenced by his radical girlfriend who has a string of controversial opinions on her radio program.

I think we are headed for a Black History Year rather than a month. And people will get tired of the preaching after a while, especially when the preaching ranges from realistic reforms to outright radical ideologies that have no chance of support or legislation. The media will realize the preaching isn't getting ratings and clicks and eventually move on. And once the media coverage stops, the movement stops. This is 21st century America now. Some other controversy will replace it. Some other victim class will demand their issue becomes more important and in the spotlight.

At this point, no owner or corporation is going to stop protesting on company time (which is certainly understandable and reasonable request). The risk of backlash is too strong. But if the negative effects on the "business" become too great, then the leagues will just eliminate the national anthem all together. Find another way (without outright prohibiting it) to stop the negative reactions to protesting.

I mean, be prepared to watch a TD celebration this year that simulates George Floyd's death. A player will act out Floyd, a player will act out the cop. Players will kneel after TD's. Players will raise fists. Kneeling during the anthem isn't going to generate enough outrage anymore to be a useful tool in protesting. They will push the envelope.

Everyone is going to kneel next year, just expect it. Anyone who doesn't will have the media mob come for them and they will kneel out of fear even if they don't give a **** about politics.

US Soccer Team! Replace them all on principle alone. Put innhigh school kids if need be. **** it and **** them.

Everyone is going to kneel next year, just expect it. Anyone who doesn't will have the media mob come for them and they will kneel out of fear even if they don't give a **** about politics.

I'll be done with sports for good. If the Steelers fall into this bs I'll call it a day and be onto other things in life. No big deal anymore really.

I'll be done with sports for good. If the Steelers fall into this bs I'll call it a day and be onto other things in life. No big deal anymore really.

Has been a long time coming. So many are at this point.

Hockey. Where players are still respectable human beings.

For the first time ever, I'm probably done with the NFL. I'll issue my own protest. I'll cancel my DirectTV Sunday Ticket I've had for 10 years. I doubt I watch much football. Fishing is my new hobby. Don't need the NFL.

I'm sure I'm not alone. **** em.

I really wish I could be done with the NFL, but I love the game and Steelers too much. It's just too deep in my blood.

Hockey. Where players are still respectable human beings.

I'm all in for hockey. I'm almost 100% sure football watching is a done deal for retirement. Maybe do a name change to Pens4evr.

So the current narrative is that we are supposed to understand that not respecting the Flag and the Anthem isn't not respecting the Flag and the Anthem because, uh, because they say so. How about this - if that isn't the intent, don't do it. Protest some other way, *******.