• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was Antonio Brown The Greatest Steelers Receiver of All Time?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There’s no doubting that former Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown is crazy. Whether it’s from multiple head shots, or from the fame and fortune, it doesn’t matter. He could’ve made a run at Jerry Rice’s records. He could’ve had statues built of him in Pittsburgh. Instead he chose a path that cost him millions, and and ultimately may have ended his career many years short.

Regardless of Brown’s troubles, it remains a fair question as to whether he’s the greatest receiver to ever lace them up for the Steelers. In 130 games as a Steeler, Brown amassed 837 receptions for 11,207 yards, 74 touchdowns while averaging 13.4 yards per reception. He finished his Steelers career averaging 86.2 yards per game, which ranks first in team history. He finished behind only Hines Ward in receptions, yards, and touchdowns, but would’ve passed him in all categories if he played at least two more seasons with the Steelers. Brown played in 87 less games than Ward.

Brown would’ve needed to continue to play for at least 8 more years to have a chance to catch Rice in the record books. This graphic was posted by CBS Sports prior to Browns last season with the team in 2018.

brown.png

He probably wouldn’t of been able to catch him in touchdowns, but everything else seems very possible. Records that were once thought of as untouchable were in reach for Brown. The question wouldn’t of been is Brown the best Steelers receiver of all time, it would’ve been is he the best wide receiver of all time. And he may have been.

stats.png

PRO FOOTBALL REFERENCE

Now Ward, and John Stallworth both have a case for greatest Steelers receiver of all time. Lynn Swann was amazing, but he wasn’t as good as Stallworth. He had the amazing plays in the Super Bowl, but he quit the game too early to pursue a career as a reporter.

Stallworth amassed 8723 yards on 523 receptions which held as Steelers records from 1987 until Ward broke all of them. But Stallworth played in a different era. The Steelers didn’t pass the ball a lot until 1978 when Terry Bradshaw came into his own and the league started shifting to more explosive offenses. Stallworth had his first 1000 yard season in 1979, but injuries would plague him three out of the next four seasons. By the time he was healthy in 1984 Bradshaw had retired. That didn’t stop Stallworth from putting up his best season in 1984 with 1395 yards receiving. He’d again dominate in 1985, but injuries would again slow down Stallworth who would only play in 20 games in his last two seasons in the NFL.

Ward is thought of as Brown’s main competition, and rightfully so. He is the greatest blocking wide receiver in league history, fierce competitor, and he has the stats to back it up. Not to mention he has two Super Bowl trophies, and a Super Bowl MVP. Brown has none of those with the Steelers. (Ring with Buccaneers) Ward compiled his stats over a long period of time, but in his early years he wasn’t on a very high powered offense. Everything ran through running back Jerome Bettis, and passing was something that complemented the run, unlike today’s NFL. Ward would eventually get Ben Roethlisberger as his quarterback, but it was several years until Roethlisberger transitioned from a game managing quarterback to a gun slinger.

It’s a toss up for me personally. Brown would’ve easily been the greatest of all time had he not gone crazy. He’s without a doubt the hardest working, and most talented receiver to ever lace em up. But Ward was everything you wanted as a player.

Tell us what you think SteelerNation!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Swann didn't exactly quit to become a reporter, he was forced to retire early due to having a number of concussions. He played back when George Atkinson could beat the **** out of you all the way down the field and it wasn't a penalty.

You're going to have to take off the hate shades. Statiscally, AB, is the best to ever play the position in Pittsburgh.

I bugs the crap out of me because I really liked him before he turned into a blithering idiot - I just hope the guy gets the help he needs sooner rather than later...

I know it's fun...but in the end these comparisons aren't really fair to make. What would have Stallworth or Swann's stats been playing in this era? Everything is geared to the passing game today. I'm not saying they were better than Brown or vice versa, I'm just saying can you really make a comparison when the eras are so different?

Ward
Swann
Stallworth
Lipps
Weegie Thompson
AB

Swann didn't exactly quit to become a reporter, he was forced to retire early due to having a number of concussions. He played back when George Atkinson could beat the **** out of you all the way down the field and it wasn't a penalty.

Swann had to deal with **** on the field that in today's league, would get you suspended for the year and criminal charges filed.

**** is camp cupcake now by comparison. Ward was on a heavy run based team for a great portion of his career. The work he did in blocking and the run game was to me better than a bunch of cheap catches today's wide receivers get.

If he finished the contract he agreed to, he may have been a different player.

I think entitlement combined with CTE and yes men for friends, turned him from becoming the best, to league pariah pretty quickly.

Not a chance in hell. the ONLY thing he is the greatst at in STEELER Lore is jacking the 22 million from them. For a while there he had pretty good numbers for a WR.

ALL the other receivers used to compare with AB were actual football players who played the WR position. AB played for himself more than the team. To be the best you have to be tops or very near tops in all catagories including team / team m ate / charitable work, public perception & leagal.

Turn Stallworth lose with these rules and HOF passing QB Ben Roethlisberger throwing to him............... Hines Ward as well

Salute the nation

You know, everyone has the sour taste in their mouth over how his steelers career ended, and they love to talk about his off the field issues, his mental health, etc.

But with Ben's retirement, I've been watching a lot of his career highlights, certain games... And I gotta say, AB is easily the best WR the steelers have ever had. And this is not putting down the other great steelers WR's, it really is all about AB, and how good he actually was.

His body control was unreal, you think you have him pinned to the sideline, only for him to get both feet in. Get him in the open field, and it was going the distance. Separation, easily. Double him, no prob. Triple him, good luck.

Go ahead, go look up his highlights and be unbiased. Forget off the field... Because as a WR on the field, very few in the history of the league could measure up. And to top things off, the connection Ben has with him, it was something very special.

Talent wise, best Steelers WR hands down. And that's what the question was.

You know, everyone has the sour taste in their mouth over how his steelers career ended, and they love to talk about his off the field issues, his mental health, etc.

But with Ben's retirement, I've been watching a lot of his career highlights, certain games... And I gotta say, AB is easily the best WR the steelers have ever had. And this is not putting down the other great steelers WR's, it really is all about AB, and how good he actually was.

His body control was unreal, you think you have him pinned to the sideline, only for him to get both feet in. Get him in the open field, and it was going the distance. Separation, easily. Double him, no prob. Triple him, good luck.

Go ahead, go look up his highlights and be unbiased. Forget off the field... Because as a WR on the field, very few in the history of the league could measure up. And to top things off, the connection Ben has with him, it was something very special.

Talent wise, best Steelers WR hands down. And that's what the question was.
one hard hit to the head ****** him up mentally

Swann took hits like that a hell of a lot more and kept coming back

want to see body control....watch Swann

You're going to have to take off the hate shades. Statiscally, AB, is the best to ever play the position in Pittsburgh.

I bugs the crap out of me because I really liked him before he turned into a blithering idiot - I just hope the guy gets the help he needs sooner rather than later...
Nope, while I agree he could have been, he chose to blow it all away. All time is a long time to evaluate, and I can't believe I'm agreeing with Coolie, but Stallworth played in a different era, with different rules and as far as I'm concerned is the greatest Steeler receiver of all time.
I have no hate for AB, he simply made bad decisions that he now has to live with. And this whole question of greatest is really moot, like trying to name the greatest boxer or golfer of all time, our answers are purely subjective.

He very well could have been, but that’s not how it played out. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Found it surprising that Swann had less than 5500 career yards receiving.

Hard to compare players from different eras, especially when the rules involving receivers have been significantly modified.

Hines had the most yards, TDs, and receptions. He was the best blocker, had a SB MVP and played in two SBs. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Hines surpassed Stallworth who was great in his own right.

It isn't what you could have been. It is your complete body of work.

Hines comes in first if you are looking at the complete body of work.

AB can have a bag of dick gummies as his consolation prize.