• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

WATCH: Mason Rudolph joins The Rich Eisen Show and talks status with Steelers, his relationship with Mike Tomlin, and plays the ‘Start, Bench, Cut’ ga

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Whether you’re on the Mason Rudolph train or not, there’s no denying that 2022 could finally be the year we see the three-year veteran out of Oklahoma State University take the helm at quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite his brief stint as the starter in black and gold in 2019, and the recent signing of former Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills quarterback, Mitch Trubisky, this upcoming season will feature a ready, and experienced Rudolph, with no Ben Roethlisberger to overshadow him.

This past week, Rudolph had the opportunity to join The Rich Eisen Show and discuss his thoughts on competing for the starting job in Pittsburgh.

“My status is finally having the ability to compete to be the starting quarterback. I’m excited about that. I think there’s a lot to be excited about. The pieces around us. We’ve bolstered the o-line, got a couple great young receivers, a young running back who’s a workhorse. A lot to be excited about.”

One can only ponder what’s been going on in Rudolph’s mind since the arrival of Trubisky, but nonetheless, Rudolph seems ready for competition.

During the interview with Eisen, Rudolph was also asked about his current off-season workouts, as well as his relationship with Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin:

“[It’s] great. He’s had my back for along time. We have a lot of informal conversations that are fun.” He continued. “We’ve all been on teams where coaches are ‘CEO’s’ and they kind of hang back in the shadows, and he does a great job of connecting.”

It was also nice to hear Rudolph open up and have Steeler Nation learn more about his personal life and interests. That included some fun facts about his brother Logan Rudolph who played football at Clemson and is now acting in Hollywood, as well seeing how much of a Yinzer Rudolph really is by playing the ‘Start, Bench, Cut’ game. Check out this clip:

We really put @steelers QB @Rudolph2Mason to task with #StartBenchCut today, if we do say so ourselves — lots of fun:

cc: @CoachGundy @tpolamalu@primantibros @CrownRoyal pic.twitter.com/EJSZhHrT91

— Rich Eisen Show (@RichEisenShow) March 25, 2022

To watch the full interview with Rich Eisen, click here.

Do yinz think Rudolph has a chance to beat out Mitch Trubisky for the starting job this off-season? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I just don't see it happening. Although I haven't followed Rudolph as closely as some here, there's never been a moment where I felt this could eventually be our guy. Conversely there were times watching Trubisky that I thought there's something there. Consistency has been his problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not as hard on Rudolph I feel as others are. I do however think he has a steep hill to climb to beat out Trubisky.

I saw Rudolph play a good bit when he was in college as I was living in OKC at the time. He definitely has the arm to be good in the NFL. He just needs to work on all the other important stuff. This will probably be his first and last chance to be a starter in the NFL. I just hope either he or Trubisky surprise the heck out of us this year.

He will get a legit shot to win it this season… if he doesn’t it will be his own fault… Trubisky doesn’t have the guaranteed starter type of contract really… but if they draft a kid he is almost certainly one and done here.. they won’t give him starters money next year regardless…

Rudolph is who he is. Short to intermediate patterns only, not much (any) escapability, some bad interceptions.

Yeah, I'm not as hard on Rudolph I feel as others are. I do however think he has a steep hill to climb to beat out Trubisky.
A rare sighting. Hi B. I think most just call it like they see it. Do you see a starter there? If he could start hitting those tight windows in the red zone perhaps that perception that he is nothing more than a backup could change. He did nothing in that Lion start to sway that way of thinking for me.

Like most here say, this is his chance. If he fails he fails but if he makes it then we have a good problem on our hands.

Personally I hope he becomes a Super Bowl champion and yet ONLY gets signed to a 2 year friendly deal. ( i know some team would pay bucO bucks to get him with his SB ring)

Salute the nation

With the $ numbers being what they are I'm assuming it's still an open contest with them leaning toward Trubisky. But I think all should get a fair shot. You gotta like Rudolph's attitude.

A rare sighting. Hi B. I think most just call it like they see it. Do you see a starter there? If he could start hitting those tight windows in the red zone perhaps that perception that he is nothing more than a backup could change. He did nothing in that Lion start to sway that way of thinking for me.
I think he's a solid backup. A starter, I'm not so sure yet. He was throwing to guys like Donte Moncrief that first year in 2019 with JuJu out a lot too. He's had his faults, don't get me wrong. I just get really surprised sometimes at the hate I see for him online. I was at that Lions game, and yes, there was one key throw to Ray-Ray McCloud he should have hit in the end zone. But I don't think that was the end all, be all in that game. The weather was horrible, and I thought he did enough to put us in a position to win. Both of those Muth and DJ fumbles should've never happened. That's not on Mason.

I think he's a solid backup. A starter, I'm not so sure yet. He was throwing to guys like Donte Moncrief that first year in 2019 with JuJu out a lot too. He's had his faults, don't get me wrong. I just get really surprised sometimes at the hate I see for him online. I was at that Lions game, and yes, there was one key throw to Ray-Ray McCloud he should have hit in the end zone. But I don't think that was the end all, be all in that game. The weather was horrible, and I thought he did enough to put us in a position to win. Both of those Muth and DJ fumbles should've never happened. That's not on Mason.
Always will have roadblocks in the way of victory but more often than not he isn't putting points on the board. Not just in that Lions game that was just one example of an opportunity he had and came away looking less than inspiring. A QB has to do more than put the team in a position to win, they have to follow through and deliver in the crunch. He is more of the get crunched type.

Let's pump the brakes a bit on Trubisky. He was viewed as a nothing but a bust when he was with the Bears.

But now that he's a Steeler, there's a lot of sentiment that he's a fountain of untapped talent.

I'm skeptical. In fact I think it's very possible that Rudolph will beat him out. We'll see.

I heard the interview, typical "Howdy Doody" responses from him....

BestSoulfulAmethystsunbird.webp

Start, Bench, Cut…..
Crown Jewels of England,
Crown Royal Whiskey, or
The Crown of your Helmet 🤣

That was pretty good

I thought it was a terrible interview with an uninteresting person, and the Crown joke was classless. No one else is getting those types of questions from Eisen. They see Rudolph as a clown with that question.

Also when you start talking about content from a previous guest, it means your interview has nothing to offer, and your interview is tanking. I'd expect a better interview from Rich, but Rome's interview wasn't any better.

HIs college career and his best games with the Steelers. The short crap is the scheme not Mason.

his college career? where dudes are wide open by 5-10 yards? you realize this is the NFL, correct? i've watched just as much of him as you have, and i've never noticed him to be anything other than "pedestrian" at best with regards to downfield accuracy.

his college career? where dudes are wide open by 5-10 yards? you realize this is the NFL, correct? i've watched just as much of him as you have, and i've never noticed him to be anything other than "pedestrian" at best with regards to downfield accuracy.
And that receiver open deep was James Washington...

Let's pump the brakes a bit on Trubisky. He was viewed as a nothing but a bust when he was with the Bears.

But now that he's a Steeler, there's a lot of sentiment that he's a fountain of untapped talent.

I'm skeptical. In fact I think it's very possible that Rudolph will beat him out. We'll see.

If so then so be it. I want the best on the roster to play and if that ends up being Mason than OK, that's who we roll with. No starting position should just be handed to anyone and each day is a try out. Even the "WATT" did you say goes through that aspect of starting.

Salute the nation

I have seen him have nice touch and placement on deep balls. That sounds dirty.