• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Watson little more in-depth process civil suit

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know. The Browns did an exhaustively thorough investigation before the gave him and his 28-25 record more then 250 million guarenteed. And they have never made mistakes before..

I hear yaz SteelerSask but this article is showing he may have to be more accountable in his answers. When the criminal Grand Jury was looking into this he chose to be silent on a lot of things. In this CIVIL matter (in the article) the judge has ordered some of the questions answered. That could be the doino affect as to getting more questions answered down the line.

Sounds like the Class Action attorney's are putting the pressure on for answers they didn't get in the Grand Jury room.

Salute the nation

I hear yaz SteelerSask but this article is showing he may have to be more accountable in his answers. When the criminal Grand Jury was looking into this he chose to be silent on a lot of things. In this CIVIL matter (in the article) the judge has ordered some of the questions answered. That could be the doino affect as to getting more questions answered down the line.

Sounds like the Class Action attorney's are putting the pressure on for answers they didn't get in the Grand Jury room.

Salute the nation
Oh I hear you and agree. The Browns saw he escaped jail and said this will all go away. Good f'kn luck. This **** is gonna drag out for two years bare minimum. Plus he still needs league discipline. For sure.

Not a class action, DIC. Class actions are limited to a very select group of cases, notable in large part by the fact the claims have a similarity of damages (not true for sexual harassment or sexual assault plaintiffs) and by the fact a class action lawsuit is needed because the claimed damages the class members suffered are too small for them to bring individual actions (again, definitely not true for sexual harassment or sexual assault plaintiffs).

Also, no suspect can be forced to testify in a criminal proceeding. Ever. For any reason. 5th amendment, "No person ... shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself." No lawyer worth a cup of warm spit would allow Watson to testify in the grand jury proceedings. Absent a very particular grant of immunity - which would not be proper as to the subject of the criminal proceeding for a ton of reasons, see Bill Cosby case - anything he says can later be used against him, and testifying raises potential issues as to a 5th amendment waiver.

Not a class action, DIC. Class actions are limited to a very select group of cases, notable in large part by the fact the claims have a similarity of damages (not true for sexual harassment or sexual assault plaintiffs) and by the fact a class action lawsuit is needed because the claimed damages the class members suffered are too small for them to bring individual actions (again, definitely not true for sexual harassment or sexual assault plaintiffs).

Also, no suspect can be forced to testify in a criminal proceeding. Ever. For any reason. 5th amendment, "No person ... shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself." No lawyer worth a cup of warm spit would allow Watson to testify in the grand jury proceedings. Absent a very particular grant of immunity - which would not be proper as to the subject of the criminal proceeding for a ton of reasons, see Bill Cosby case - anything he says can later be used against him, and testifying raises potential issues as to a 5th amendment waiver.

I guess the article is saying "pre-trial" discovery. Its questions for information. It does say the Judge is compelling him for these answers.

I'm not a lawyer and don't claim to profess the legal system.

I do know the civil suit is much broader than the criminal suit and a much less burden of proof than the criminal.

I assumed with so many it was a class action, my bad.

The article takes you through to where they are at in the process and a little jockeying on strategy.

Salute the nation

I guess the article is saying "pre-trial" discovery. Its questions for information. It does say the Judge is compelling him for these answers.

All discovery is pre-trial. Discovery is the information gathering that the parties do prior to the trial.

The judge is ordering him to answer the questions because he overruled Watson's objections. If a party objects to a discovery demand, the party posing the question can then file a motion to compel a response, which is what the plaintiff's lawyer did here.

“These are very extensive requests,” one of Watson’s attorneys, Leah Graham, told the judge in a hearing last week that was monitored online by USA TODAY Sports.

But the judge determined they were relevant to the lawsuits he faces in Houston and ordered him to provide the information within 30 days.

I'm not a lawyer and don't claim to profess the legal system.

I do know the civil suit is much broader than the criminal suit and a much less burden of proof than the criminal.

I assumed with so many it was a class action, my bad.

The article takes you through to where they are at in the process and a little jockeying on strategy.

Salute the nation
if you need a legal mind, just tag @Tim Steelersfan

All discovery is pre-trial. Discovery is the information gathering that the parties do prior to the trial.

The judge is ordering him to answer the questions because he overruled Watson's objections. If a party objects to a discovery demand, the party posing the question can then file a motion to compel a response, which is what the plaintiff's lawyer did here.
Could Watson "mis-remember" having or not having sex with some of those masseuses? how binding is his revelation or non-revelation? seems with the money he just got from the Clowns he could quite easily cough up some hush money.

Could Watson "mis-remember" having or not having sex with some of those masseuses? how binding is his revelation or non-revelation? seems with the money he just got from the Clowns he could quite easily cough up some hush money.

The grand jury did not indict so right now it's 100% about paying money. That's what civil suits are about.

The problem with lying in a lawsuit is that most of the time, you get caught. Some witness refutes your claim, a photo or text message shows up, your timeline is messed up, and you now have to explain a lie. Explaining lies is the best way to guarantee losing the case. I much rather opposing witnesses lie than tell the truth.

The vast majority of the time, telling the truth is much easier and a better way to proceed. Jesus Christ, if a lawyer needs a perfect case, he's not a good lawyer. Every case has issues and lot have significant issues. You think jurors are perfect and think every dumb comment or mistake is worthy of punishment?? They know **** happens. Just explain what is going on and get the jury focused on the evidence proving your case.

That's what the articles suggest towards the end of it. Rather than go to court he should settle out of court as many as possible, use this is in his favor sort of thing.

Salute the nation

That's what the articles suggest towards the end of it. Rather than go to court he should settle out of court as many as possible, use this is in his favor sort of thing.

Salute the nation

Yeah, no doubt, but settling a case requires two parties to agree.

He can't settle the case if each of the 22 plaintiffs wants $15 million, right?

It only takes one that doesn't want the hush money but to publicly unmask a sex predator

Yeah, no doubt, but settling a case requires two parties to agree.

He can't settle the case if each of the 22 plaintiffs wants $15 million, right?

I can't guess on what value each of these ladies put on the offense against them, obviously like most they want the most they can get. I'd guess $500,000.00 - 1.5 mil would get most heads turned.

Maybe I'm a cheapskate

Salute the nation

The forced to testify will be interesting. Lying under oathe is pergery. It will never go to trial. He will invest a large sum to make it go away and chalk it up to never having a career if the truth comes out.

if you need a legal mind, just tag @Tim Steelersfan

You got that right, and when I represent in court, I represent.

200.webp

Meanwhile, we have that pretend lawyer lurking around, slinging advice like he's Matlock. Slippin' Jimmy, as we like to call him, gets his parking ticket clients he defends death 78% of the time. Beware.

200w.webp