• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Well sure, that's an appropriate response

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Who would have thought that the employees of Martin Elementary and the Mexican government have so much in common.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank God the school suspended the little kid for the toy gun. What's next, he eats his sandwich and turns it into a "bread gun"?

The horror ...

This is what happens when you are liberal enough to believe that the government and its various agencies actually give a **** about you or your family.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Zero Tolerance at its best, folks!!!!!!

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Fred says..." The public schools, say some, have failed to such a degree as to make their continuance rationally unjustifiable. Yes, they fail, but why? To some extent it is because they are expected to do what cannot be done—to educate the uneducable. For reasons of dizzy idealism, we pretend that all students have the wit to learn. Thus we suffer high-sounding programs like No Child Left Behind. You cannot ensure that no child will be left behind. You can try to ensure that no child will get ahead. To this we incline.

The schools remain a cultural slum, a dark night of the mind. As my daughters passed through these dismal moors, I saw misspelled handouts from teachers, heard of a teacher being reprimanded for correcting a student’s grammar, saw endless propaganda disguised as history. How does one recognize the onset of a dark age?

[We have] suspended play when they're using imaginary weapons until the guidelines can be developed to help the staff differentiate between dangerous and imaginary play." This pearl of lucent sanity from Gary Thomas, the District Superintendent, who doesn't know the difference between "imaginary" and "imaginative."

One laughs, having no recourse, but it isn't funny. There is at work here something somber and ugly. It isn't just the schools. The country is eating itself, as if it had an autoimmune disease, as if undergoing cultural apoptosis. Half-educated teachers practicing playground Stalinism are just a part of it, one front in a larger war.

The nation has become a milkshake of confusion, hostility, and sexual antagonism, always disguised as something else. Note that while the schools punish little boys for playing soldier, adventure movies now routinely show women slugging men, kicking them in the crotch, or becoming naval commandoes. The opposition isn't to violence, but to masculinity. But -- do the metaclasses seek to put women in combat because they think women want to be in combat -- or because they detest the military, hate its conservatism and (once) unapologetic masculinity, and want to humiliate it?

The unspoken agenda -- to bring down the former United States as a cultural entity -- sluices through metagovernmental policy. All of this ties into the diffuse anger that eats away at the country. We are not a happy people. Over years one sees the public mood change. Road rage is rage expressed on the road, not caused by traffic. More and more I see people walking against street lights, deliberately forcing cars to stop. Manners deteriorate. "
http://fredoneverything.net/CopsAndRobbers.shtml

Food for thought and this is just one guys opinion but I think the current zero-tolerance rules are nothing more than a bandage for school administrative incompetence.....jus sayin'.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
its stupid ******* parents with the sue stick.....thats why there is no more Christmas trees, pledge, zero tolerance to a retarded degree, bus drivers and teachers not being able to lay one finger on a bad student (except those that be ******* them).

Its a joke. A terrible joke that the place we send our children for learning is not capable of using their own ******* brains.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Nice article Chip.....Fred absolutely nails the root of the problem.

We have] suspended play when they're using imaginary weapons until the guidelines can be developed to help the staff differentiate between dangerous and imaginary play."

Really? We need guidelines for this? Truly we are ******.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
As a former public school teacher of 19 years, I would implore you al in the strongest terms possible to get out of the public school system. It's a disaster of the highest level. You would be better to let your kids get their education from MTV. At least they are honest in their focus.

Your kid can't count or write a paragraph, and don't know if Washington or France won the Civil War in the 1960's, but they can sure well get an abortion without you knowing or having a say in it, or know how wonderful it is to be gay.

Screw that crap.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
As a former public school teacher of 19 years, I would implore you al in the strongest terms possible to get out of the public school system. It's a disaster of the highest level. You would be better to let your kids get their education from MTV. At least they are honest in their focus.

Your kid can't count or write a paragraph, and don't know if Washington or France won the Civil War in the 1960's, but they can sure well get an abortion without you knowing or having a say in it, or know how wonderful it is to be gay.

Screw that crap.

France, right?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Knew a kid in a similar situation except the principal called the mom in, told her he was keeping it quiet and that if word got out he would have to expel him... she home schooled him after that... personally I think gun safety should be taught in grade school... but hey, its far better to demonize them right?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Now this is a thread worth 80 pages of input.

Now that I've digested the OP and read all of the comments submitted - I'll add my opinion...

I applaud Fred for his article (thanks Uncle Chip) - and Ironcity for pointing out the bold facts of our "suffering society/country". We're all adults here, yes, we are - and we can all look back to some time in our lives, when things were different, when we played outside and had creativity to build a fort (and you didn't need to put on sunscreen). When you could watch a wholesome program on TV and not worry about the next word coming out the actors mouth less it be offensive to the nation. When we could all stand in class and proudly say the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America.

Somewhere, somehow this all changed.

We can no longer discipline the children that we bring into existence without the fear of some social worker and government program coming to our homes and threatening to take/and sometime take those same children. Society ("they") have empowered the generations, after us, to question authority, as a whole and promote that we no longer need God in our lives and promiscuity, curiosity and just plain ol' "it ain't right" is now "ok".

I'm going to throw you a left curve. Stay with me...

Take another look back at your childhood - reader, be honest with yourself - the worst thing we "may have had to deal with" was racism. Today, that's the least of our problems. When I look back at my life, my parents had no problem with Mr. Wilson stopping me and correcting me for my errors. They had no problem with Mrs. Jane/Brenda/Karen, whoever, to grab me by my ear and walk me home to say, "Kevin was misbehaving and I just wanted to let you know". Today, we fight the "freedom of speech", "freedom of information" - and, worst of all, "freedom to be publicly stupid regardless of the cause".

I liked it when things were simple in life. The school should be very ashamed of their response to an honest mistake that was acknowledged by this upstanding young man. What they've now done (regardless of his social upbringing/race) is planted a seed of doubt - "what is going to happen the next time I tell the truth"???

We've done this to ourselves and only God can help us now.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that grown adults in our education system are apparently incapable of reasoning and common sense. Hell, the kid turned himself in. He was honest. And they are going to punish him (already have with suspension) for doing the right thing. That is a great message for kids. For anyone really. I mean, what incentive is there to do the right thing if you are just going to get in trouble for it?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Some school administrations are just stupid and have no common sense whatsoever, depending on the area. I guarantee If that would have happened in the school I work at, when the kid turned it in, the Principal would have held it to the end of the day, given it back to him, and asked him not to bring it back. No punishment, but he may have gotten to warning to not bring it back. That's it. How schools handle issues like this varies so widely from place to place and region to region. If a kid chewed his pop tart into the shape of a gun for instance in our school, the teacher probably would have commended him on his craftsmanship and walked away. End of story.

Supersteeler

Reaction score

Screw that crap.

You worked in horrible districts. Homeschooling isn't an option for about 80% of parents because they don't have the ability or the drive to do it and have the kid learn much. Almost all Charter schools and online schools are a complete joke and are nothing more than money making schemes. Have you ever seen the graduation rates of these online schools? It's like 20-40%. But they don't fall under the federal education guidelines so they can get away with it and have no consequences. Yes public schools have gone downhill from where they once where but the federal and state government is mostly responsible for it by passing stupid laws and forcing schools to teach test taking skills instead of a well rounded education. However, almost all the other alternatives are worse.

Probably the only two alternatives that would be better are Homeschooling by a highly disciplined, intelligent parent/parents, or some kind of private school that you have to pay for out of pocket and doesn't get tons of outside funding to run it with no consequences for poor performance. Even regular private schools are hit and miss. We have a private Catholic school across the street from our school and the quality of education is not even close to ours. They are hurting bad. I think their graduating class this year was 18 and they have almost no activities they can offer the kids because of financial distress.

Last edited:

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
We'll be homeschooling. None of this bullshit for kidlet4prez.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
I skipped breeding, but no way I would let my spawn attend public schools.

diver

Reaction score
I taught at a private, alternative school for many years before I went to public ed. We got many of the kids from the county who got kicked out of school for one reason or another. Mostly inner city kids, though. Anyway, one of the things I noticed there is that since it was private, you had to keep your "customers," for lack of a better term. In other words you had to keep the parents (if there were any that gave a damn) happy or the school district that sent the kids happy. Therefore, in a situation that perhaps demanded real discipline (kick a kid out, for example), it rarely could be done.

I see that as the problem with charter schools. They have to keep their "customers" happy, because if nobody comes, they will shut down. I can see corners getting cut, discipline lacking in some cases to appease. How is that different than the public schools?

Lmob0621

Reaction score
67 + 45 = 112

WRONG...

its 120 or something else according to the new rounding math.... or something else entirely because of some other type of math they made up so people who cannot add can be right as long as they show how they got the wrong answer.

xjx

Reaction score
Public schools suck. They aren't school, they are nothing more than daycare.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score