• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What I don't understand on health care

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If it cost me a $600.00 a month for a family plan, that is $7,200 a year, PLUS the cost of office visits, RX scripts, and such. After you add it all up, I'm in for about $8,500.00 a year.

I noticed if I had no regular insurance, but opted for a disaster type of insurance, I'd save a lot of money. Just pay the office visits, the drugs with no insurance, and if a disaster happens where hospitalization is needed, I'm covered

So why don't people do this?

Last edited:
Bomma knows what's best for you so quit being racist and pay up.

If it cost me a $600.00 a month for a family plan, that is $7,200 a year, PLUS the cost of office visits, RX scripts, and such. After you add it all up, I'm in for about $8,500.00 a year.

I noticed if I had no regular insurance, but opted for a disaster type of insurance, I'd save a lot of money. Just pay the office visits, the drugs with no insurance, and if a disaster happens where hospitalization is needed, I'm covered

You can.

But those office visits (without the co-pay) and those prescriptions (even few and far between) can cost a hell of a lot of money when you just pay over the counter.

And if the **** ever DOES hit the fan. If your kid gets sick the doctor says he needs a special antibiotic and you find out it's $1000.00 over the counter, you are stuck for it. I'm pretty sure that "emergency plans" health coverage that costs a lot cheaper to carry, is cheap for a reason. The fine print probably excludes a lot of high-price items you might consider "emergency" but the coverage doesn't.

Nothing forces you to take your employer offered health care package. You can price up whatever you want with individual insurance companies.

Under Obamacare it is illegal to sell a health insurance policy that only covers catastrophic illness. That's exactly what we would do if we were allowed to.

We are self-employed and the cheapest plan we could find is 1100/month and has a 13000 family deductible. So we are 20 grand in before it pays out a penny.

Under Obamacare it is illegal to sell a health insurance policy that only covers catastrophic illness. That's exactly what we would do if we were allowed to.

We are self-employed and the cheapest plan we could find is 1100/month and has a 13000 family deductible. So we are 20 grand in before it pays out a penny.

duh. charge it on your White Privilege card like the rest of us do.

My husband is a consultant and gets paid an hourly rate, it is interesting to think about the idea that if he just cut his hours way back we could probably get hefty financial aid as well as free or nearly free health insurance. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars it's costing us for him to work his butt off and earn a decent income. We feel like suckers.

My husband is a consultant and gets paid an hourly rate, it is interesting to think about the idea that if he just cut his hours way back we could probably get hefty financial aid as well as free or nearly free health insurance. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars it's costing us for him to work his butt off and earn a decent income. We feel like suckers.

You aren't alone. I am beginning to think that it is beyond stupid of me to bust my *** to support my family, when I could do a whole lot of nothing each day and probably make more.

My deductible is 6000. I have a 20.00 copay. I have no clue what meds are covered until I go to get them filled. I have to pay for **** I don'tneed, like maternity. I have been fixed for 11 years. I don't need that ****, It's stupid.