• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Steelers Throwback Jersey Should They Bring Back?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
They say clothes make the man, but uniforms make the team. For the 2022-23 season, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be dusting off jersey designs from their past. The Eagles will wear their kelly green throwbacks, while the Bucs will look to add flavor with the return of their orange “creamsicle” uniforms. The Pittsburgh Steelers jerseys are iconic, and some in the team’s history haven’t been seen in a while. But which uniform would make for a great throwback? Let’s start with the two most recent ones.

In 2012, for the Steelers 80th anniversary, the team wore horizontally striped throwback uniforms. These were inspired by the 1933 team when they became known as the “Steelers” we know them as today. With matching khaki pants, the now dubbed “bumblebee” jerseys made a lot of heads turn, but unfortunately, a lot of them turned away. In polls conducted by both ESPN and NBC Sports, most voters deemed the uniforms “among the worst ever fashioned for any NFL team.” These jerseys were retired in 2016. The team didn’t have a throwback in 2017, but they tried again in 2018.

0004501_pittsburgh-steelers-nike-43-troy-polamalu-limited-throwback-jersey-300x300.jpeg

The Steelers went for a more subtle, classy look when they debuted black jerseys with block white letters and numbers. This throwback design was based on the teams of the 1970s Steel Curtain era. They were better received than their predecessors, even though they were only worn for a single season. Since then, the Steelers haven’t had a throwback uniform. With other franchises already planning to bring back some blasts from their past next season, should Pittsburgh follow suit?

yxyt6rsve7exnutxwkcs.jpg

Steelers.com

If the team does do a throwback uniform, there are two ideal candidates. The first one is the 1966 uniforms. Dubbed the “Batman” uniforms, this jersey has no stripes like the current ones, but instead has a gold triangle-like diamond covering the shoulders, making their appearance look like the Batman outfits worn by Adam West on the popular TV series. These uniforms were retired after two seasons, and in 2007, the Steelers stated publicly that they wouldn’t wear them in a game again.

lf-247x300.jpeg

With the 1966 uniforms seemingly out of the running, there is another possibility of a throwback uniform for Pittsburgh. It would be based on the original vertically striped jerseys with the city of Pittsburgh crest on the front that the team wore when there were still referred to as the Pittsburgh Pirates. Known more as the “Coat of Arms” uniforms, these were worn as a throwback in 1994. If these uniforms were worn as throwbacks once, then why not bring them back for a second round?

lgjysb19116-pstgdbk94rwo_mf-300x300.jpg

What do you guys think? Should the Steelers do a throwback uniform, and should it be one from our list, or a different one? Be sure to sound off in the comments down below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Batmans. I might actually get one if they do

FuckiT........................................... I like them all

Salute the nation

The Bumblebees have grown on me. Wouldn’t mind them or the 70’s throwbacks.

Would love to see the, "Coat of Arms" throwbacks again. 1994 was a great season. So much talent on the team back then.

The Batmans were always called the 'Triangle' jerseys representing the 3 rivers and the land the stadium was on surrounded by rivers.

I'd rather see the Gotham jerseys. I'm ready for a ******* yellow jersey people!!

a19775c8ace360311a30737bc8126fec--heinz-field-sports-uniforms.jpg

The Batmans were always called the 'Triangle' jerseys representing the 3 rivers and the land the stadium was on surrounded by rivers.

I'd rather see the Gotham jerseys. I'm ready for a ******* yellow jersey people!!

a19775c8ace360311a30737bc8126fec--heinz-field-sports-uniforms.jpg
Gold, G

I thought the official color was marigold (orange-yellow) as to not to be confused with gold like the Saints or Notre Dame wear.
I'm pretty sure the official color is called Yellow Gold. I'm remembering reading it in an old Steelers Media Guide or on the Steelers official website years ago.

My vote would be for the 75th anniversary ones with the gold helmets and white pants.

The color rush jerseys look good. They had a good streak in the bumble bees 🐝 but that went south snd all the throwbacks are pretty ugly.

the color rush isn't old enough to be a throw-back but all the "ugly" ones are............................... lol

Salute the nation

I get. But outside tge Gotham Knights jersey I wouldn't be very interested in them wearing anything else. The one looks like some kind of British Knight or something worn in NFL Europe.