• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What the Steelers Wide Receiver Room Needs the Most

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The current Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receiver room is a young group full of talent and potential, but something that it may be lacking the most heading into next season is the presence of a veteran leader.

As of now, the 2022 wide receiver room looks like this:

· Diontae Johnson

· Chase Claypool

· Cody White

· Anthony Miller

· Gunner Olszewski

· Rico Bussey

· Tyler Vaughns

· Steven Sims

All eight players are 27-years-old and under and hold an average age of 24-years-old. Since free agency began on March 16, the Steelers have seen JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington and Ray-Ray McCloud leave to join other teams. While their departures may still sting for Steeler Nation, the silver lining to this is that they were all under 25 and never really made a major impact on games, outside of Smith-Schuster.

Last season, both Smith-Schuster and Claypool dominated headlines with their social media antics while their on-the-field play may have fallen short of fans’ and coaches’ expectations.

Mike Tomlin, asked about if he has a message for players and what kinds of potentially dangerous activities they might engage in on social media: pic.twitter.com/329ooAMn9M

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) August 31, 2021

While Head Coach Mike Tomlin “doesn’t spend a lot of time focused on those things,” perhaps one thing that he and the front office should focus on is bringing in older talent to make sure the 2022 season isn’t a repeat of last season.

So who is left in free agency who could come in and serve as a mentor to our young guys? We already pitched the idea of bringing in Julio Jones. Even if he doesn’t see the field as much because of his latest history of injuries; at 33-years-old, he can bring the experience to the table to serve as a mentor to the younger guys. Other wide receivers include Jarvis Landry, Jamison Crowder, T.Y. Hilton, A.J. Green, and Odell Beckham Jr., all of whom are at least 29-years-old.

Another benefit of adding a veteran leader is results. Since 2017, when the Steelers had a wide receiver who was 28-years-old or older, the team finished inside the top 10 in total team receiving yards in the NFL. When they had wide receivers who were all under the age of 27, they finished 16th or lower in total team receiving yards.

The 2022 season may be filled with some growing pains with our young wide receiver corps. But with a little over $16 million in cap space to play with according to OverTheCap.com (not including Ahkello Witherspoon (assuming he actually does sign), and Montravius Adams as of 3/25), the Steelers still don’t have to be big spenders to bring in such a vital piece into the locker room.

For more salary cap information on the Steelers click here.

Do you think bringing in a veteran leader can make a positive impact on our young wide receiver group? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

There was a post that went away that started yesterday about possibly bringing on AJ Green. I think he might be one to look at for this. He might be available cheaper than most- maybe vet minimum. He’s not the field stretcher he used to be but I think he’s still a viable option for the red zone and medium range areas. He knows how to get open and position himself to catch.

That's a WR room that wouldn't concern the average Liberty University opponent's secondary.

Javon hieligh coastal Carolina and Alec pierce as well as the North Dakota wr all to consider

There was a post that went away that started yesterday about possibly bringing on AJ Green. I think he might be one to look at for this. He might be available cheaper than most- maybe vet minimum. He’s not the field stretcher he used to be but I think he’s still a viable option for the red zone and medium range areas. He knows how to get open and position himself to catch.
I think the reason the post went away was it was based on a tweet from a clearly fake Twitter account (I wouldn't be surprised if the Twitter account, and therefore the tweet quoted, has been deleted by Twitter).

I would like Landry or AJ. One vet then see who is available in the draft. I see a round 1 or 2 selection ideally.

I was disappointed that Anthony Miller didnt get more of a chance last year.

Maybe that changes this year ? At least enough to see what hell we got ???

Kind of like D.Watt at FB.

Salute the nation

I would like Landry or AJ. One vet then see who is available in the draft. I see a round 1 or 2 selection ideally.

I agree slash and I also think Becham would cost to much. Not sure what Landry would cost but AJ would be vet inimum or close to it.

Salute the nation

Sorry for the "run" on

BUT

Wouldn't Hines Ward's presence be H-U-G-E right about now, whether player or coach.. We have some dang good talent but VERY young.

Salute the nation

I was disappointed that Anthony Miller didnt get more of a chance last year.
Yep, very odd we kept putting in the limited Ray Ray when we needed a field stretcher

They need maturity and leadership
This was the one thing lacking last season… juju, who was younger than DJ, was tge most experienced guy on the wr unit and everyone was super young… i think they draft two wrs, one early and one late, but id still like a true vet on the team too

Also im terrified that they will only keep four wrs and gunner on the team… gunner isnt a wr.. he is a converted db… he cant run routes…

I want to pick up Auden Tate as a FA this year. Great size to speed ratio and excellent hands. Great 4th WR option to stretch the field with size and speed.