• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Went Wrong For The Steelers in 2021?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As yinz know, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2021 season ended at the first postseason hurdle by the Kansas City Chiefs as the reigning Super Bowl champions delivered a 42-21 victory in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. That defeat followed a 9-7-1 regular season for the Steelers.

It was a same-stage playoff exit for Pittsburgh as the previous year – where the team lost to the Cleveland Browns – but the decline in the regular season record, down from 12-4-0, points to some Black and Gold issues that need addressing.

So far, they don’t look like favorites in the NFL odds for next season, but everything can change with the upcoming NFL Draft. Check them out here: https://www.bovada.lv/sports/football/nfl

As the Steelers continue to look ahead to the next NFL season, here is a look at what went wrong during an up-and-down 2020/21 and what they can do to improve.

Ben Roethlisberger decline

It feels almost rude and disrespectful to point at Roethlisberger as the first reason for Pittsburgh’s issues last season. The quarterback is destined for the Hall of Fame and enters retirement having spent his entire 18-year career with the Steelers, guiding his team to two Super Bowls in the process.

But being completely objective when taking the 2021/22 season in isolation, Roethlisberger was one of the least efficient quarterbacks in the NFL. He may have led the Steelers to the playoffs and a winning regular season record, but a closer look at the statistics details his decline last season.

Roethlisberger was ranked 30th for yards per attempt and his QBR (Quarterback Rating) score from PlayerProfiler.com of 35.8 was only good enough for 25th in the league. For a player who spent the bulk of his career as an elite QB, that is of course below his previous standards.

Granted, Roethlisberger was not helped by a substandard offensive line and a lack of elite receiving options, but it was clear that at 39 years old, a lack of mobility and deteriorating arm decreased his effectiveness as leader of the Pittsburgh offense.

So, what next for the Steelers and their QB conundrum? Head coach Mike Tomlin has suggested Pittsburgh will possibly attempt to fill the Roethlisberger void with a rookie, while either Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins taking the reins is a possibility as well. The latter option is certainly not a long-term answer, and a rookie will need time to adjust.

Whichever route Pittsburgh takes, Steeler Nation will likely need to practice patience until the team can find, or develop, its next franchise quarterback.

Matt Canada – out of his depth?

When Canada arrived into his position as offensive coordinator ahead of the start of the season, he was being billed as a young and exciting coach whose unique ideas could help shape a newly constructed but promising line.

While, similar to Roethlisberger, Canada may not have had the best batch of personnel to work with, he hardly helped himself with his play-calling consistently disappointing, particularly on big plays.

When a quarterback essentially goes off script and starts to call his own plays throughout the season – which is precisely what Roethlisberger did in 2021 – then you know there are fundamental issues with the man in charge of the offense.

After one year as the Pittsburgh quarterback coach, this was Canada’s first season as the offensive coordinator, so the Steelers have a big decision to make. Do they stick with Canada and hope to see some major improvements next year, or do they look elsewhere for a coach to lead the offense? It appears that Canada will be given another crack at the whip. Despite admitting the Steelers “took a step back” last season, Tomlin insisted he is “optimistic about Matt and what he’s capable of doing”.

Defensive line depth

The Steelers had the ninth-worst defense in the 2020/21 NFL season, conceding an average of 361.1 yards per game, while they ranked dead last for total rushing yards.

The latter statistic especially points to some fundamental flaws in the Pittsburgh defensive line last season, and much of that can be attributed to a lack of depth. When defensive end Stephon Tuitt was ruled out for the season, it proved a bigger loss than many anticipated, and after Tyson Alualu then had his year cut short, the gaps were glaring.

To be fair, Cam Heyward and Chris Wormley proved worthy replacements. Heyward’s performances came as little surprise, but it was an encouraging breakthrough year for Wormley.

However, the problems lay beyond those two and the Steelers lack of further options exposed the team’s defensive problems. Isaiah Buggs had his moments but was unavailable for large spells of the season, while Carlos Davis is yet to consistently show whether he belongs on the NFL stage.

It wasn’t only Pittsburgh’s roster depth that was the problem for the defense, though: defensive coordinator Keith Butler should shoulder plenty of the blame for the Steelers’ substandard performances. The defensive line has routinely been void of the fundamentals under Butler’s watch, and the line lacks conviction and identity.

As Butler heads into retirement, Steelers fans will hope the promotion of Teryl Austin can usher in brighter times for the Pittsburgh defense.

What do yinz think was the most glaring problem for the Steelers in 2021? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Offensive line.
Offensive line.
Offensive line.
Offensive line.

Brought about by the absolute refusal of those in charge to draft top-tier offensive linemen in the 2020 or 2021 drafts. Seriously, Kevin Dotson in the 4th, Kendrick Green in the 3rd?

While passing on G Jonah Jackson in 2020 and C Creed Humphrey in 2021? Self-inflicted wounds.

Sorry, once again it's BEN's fault.

When will anyone including this article author address the TOMLIN fault ? Poor decisions led to more fault of the season than did Ben's play. Did you not watch the
games ?? If Najee Harris is getting hit in the back field do you think maybe Ben was dealing with the same ? His short play attempt yardage is more due to not having more than 2 seconds to get it out of the hand.

Obviously OL & DL were big problems but how did those two units get to that point................. Tuitt should have been replced or factor for non-return from day one. OL investment has been way less than what it needs to be. Green VS Humphry should have been a no brainer, coaching 101.

So here we are again with the BEN's fault routine. A share yes but not nearly as big as what's implied or the coaching staff's (including HC) portion.

Salute the nation

Losing 2/3 of starting D/L = Disaster

Weak OL with aging immobile QB = Disaster

We faced two disasters and still made playoffs. Actually kind of amazing. Fix the disasters for 2022 and we could have a better team.

1 Decision making before the regular season.
2 Decision making during the regular season.
3 Oline **** the bed.
4 Dline **** the bed . (minus Heyward)

Sorry, once again it's BEN's fault.

When will anyone including this article author address the TOMLIN fault ? Poor decisions led to more fault of the season than did Ben's play. Did you not watch the
games ?? If Najee Harris is getting hit in the back field do you think maybe Ben was dealing with the same ? His short play attempt yardage is more due to not having more than 2 seconds to get it out of the hand.
So here we are again with the BEN's fault routine. A share yes but not nearly as big as what's implied or the coaching staff's (including HC) portion.

Salute the nation
This, Ben may have not been the Ben of old, scrambling around, creating big plays by keeping plays alive, but he wasn't the one sending his WR on horizontal routes, completely ignoring the middle of the field, or calling plays short of the line to gain.

The offense was predictable, and easily defended, no QB in the league would have been better with this scheme.

Oh and BTW, Ben's 4th quarter stats look pretty elite to me.
1,216 passing yards (1st)
10 TDs (1st)
111.7 passer rating (4th)

No Ben was not the Ben of old but to say his arm was shot is a stretch at best. I will concede he had no mobility but as far as arm strength and the ability to read the defense when he had more than 1.2 seconds was still better than a **** ton of QB's ranked above him.

I truly believe if you put Ben behind an above average line, not elite but above average he still had the goods to win another SB. But than again everyone here knows I'm a homer.

The failure to properly address the offensive line did the Steelers in before the season even began. We knew the passing game wasn't going to do much and they were going to lean heavily on Najee. Rather than build a strong offensive line to support a QB on the verge of retirement and a rookie RB, they did a patchwork job and fixed it on the cheap.

No Ben was not the Ben of old but to say his arm was shot is a stretch at best. I will concede he had no mobility but as far as arm strength and the ability to read the defense when he had more than 1.2 seconds was still better than a **** ton of QB's ranked above him.

I truly believe if you put Ben behind an above average line, not elite but above average he still had the goods to win another SB. But than again everyone here knows I'm a homer.

Big truth in your words and the homer part too as I am in your foot steps as well. BEN was way better than most want to give credit. The ones who want to make excuses for Tomlin immeadiately single out Ben.

Salute the nation

QB lost a step.
Juju out half the season. DJ was okay but tailed off. Claypool wasn't all that.
Coach Mediocre Mike.
Our OC licks the windows on the short bus.
OL was all new and sucked.
OL coach sucked.
Two-thirds of the DL was lost for the season and the backups sucked.
LB Devin Worilds sucked.

This, Ben may have not been the Ben of old, scrambling around, creating big plays by keeping plays alive, but he wasn't the one sending his WR on horizontal routes, completely ignoring the middle of the field, or calling plays short of the line to gain.

The offense was predictable, and easily defended, no QB in the league would have been better with this scheme.

Oh and BTW, Ben's 4th quarter stats look pretty elite to me.
1,216 passing yards (1st)
10 TDs (1st)
111.7 passer rating (4th)
Instead of singling out Ben,I will say Offense. So people don’t take Offense.
And sorry. I am just too lazy to get the......
First quarter
Second quarter
Third quarter
Stats.

You would have to be a blind man or a complete football idiot to not realize that the offense was complete **** and absolutely embarrassing for over half the game most of the times this season. We never scored in the first half.
7 points or under was the norm. The amount of times I would say to myself that I have never seen a worst first half of football,only to say it again the following week. We were always behind. Cherry picking these 4th quarter stats for the offense is just bullshit. Show it all. Opposition Defense was giving us tons of yards because they were playing prevent.
We got so lucky in some of those games it was just ridiculous. Other teams self exploding or our D giving the Offense prime field position with hardly any field left. And lots of those times they still ****** it up. I could go on and on. We were a joke Offensively.

A very cruel form of punishment for a Steeler fan would be to lock em up in a room and put the first offensive half of every game for the past season on a continuous loop.

Instead of singling out Ben,I will say Offense. So people don’t take Offense.
And sorry. I am just too lazy to get the......
First quarter
Second quarter
Third quarter
Stats.

You would have to be a blind man or a complete football idiot to not realize that the offense was complete **** and absolutely embarrassing for over half the game most of the times this season. We never scored in the first half.
7 points or under was the norm. The amount of times I would say to myself that I have never seen a worst first half of football,only to say it again the following week. We were always behind. Cherry picking these 4th quarter stats for the offense is just bullshit. Show it all. Opposition Defense was giving us tons of yards because they were playing prevent.
We got so lucky in some of those games it was just ridiculous. Other teams self exploding or our D giving the Offense prime field position with hardly any field left. And lots of those times they still ****** it up. I could go on and on. We were a joke Offensively.

A very cruel form of punishment for a Steeler fan would be to lock em up in a room and put the first offensive half of every game for the past season on a continuous loop.
All true, but none of that is Ben. Teams weren't always in prevent in the fourth, but more often than not, Ben was in no huddle calling his own plays that looked completely different from the first three quarters.

How many times did we see Ben look at the sideline in disgust, or with a shrug, or in complete disbelief?

Shocking that we didn't show more than 7 points in the first half in so many games running 3 yard routes and running Najee into a brick wall of defenders... It's clearly Ben's fault.

I agree Steelmann and I blame it to a complete failure of the organization during the off season. They promote Canada and retain Ben. Do one or the other, they have admitted as much recently that they need a mobile QB not only for mobility in the pocket (what pocket) but who is nimble enough for a semblance of RPO.

They relied on Decastro coming back from injuries (did they keep tabs), Tuitt coming back by the regular season, a 35 year old NT, an ILB returning full speed after a serious knee injury, no real buck ILB, a heavy OT who never had much mobility returning from a serious knee injury, releasing a starting CB, not resigning your nickle, signing a released OG who played on a team with one of the worst OL in 2020, drafted an undersized guard to play center, relied on an OT entering his fourth season who was never anything more than an average backup, drafted a punter who.....AND SO ON.

I agree Steelmann and I blame it to a complete failure of the organization during the off season. They promote Canada and retain Ben. Do one or the other, they have admitted as much recently that they need a mobile QB not only for mobility in the pocket (what pocket) but who is nimble enough for a semblance of RPO.

They relied on Decastro coming back from injuries (did they keep tabs), Tuitt coming back by the regular season, a 35 year old NT, an ILB returning full speed after a serious knee injury, no real buck ILB, a heavy OT who never had much mobility returning from a serious knee injury, releasing a starting CB, not resigning your nickle, signing a released OG who played on a team with one of the worst OL in 2020, drafted an undersized guard to play center, relied on an OT entering his fourth season who was never anything more than an average backup, drafted a punter who.....AND SO ON.
DeCastro was likely done at the end of his contract and the team did nothing to prepare for the future. Rather than take a top talent like Trey Smith, they took Dan Moore, Buddy Johnson (who likely maxes out as a special teams player), Isaiahh Loudermilk (and they traded a future fourth for him), and Quincey Roche (a guy that didn't even make the final roster).

DeCastro was likely done at the end of his contract and the team did nothing to prepare for the future. Rather than take a top talent like Trey Smith, they took Dan Moore, Buddy Johnson (who likely maxes out as a special teams player), Isaiahh Loudermilk (and they traded a future fourth for him), and Quincey Roche (a guy that didn't even make the final roster).
I agree except the last two but this will play out in the next couple years. Loudermilk is going to get some growth experience, weight and muscle. I think a fourth round draft choice (which he is) will pay dividends as a solid backup or starter. Not a terrible move.

Roche is a guy who I really liked and the Steelers seemed hell bent on keeping him an OLB, so do the Giants . I'd move him inside to buck, he's definitely big enough and he has a nose for the ball. He runs in the upper 4.6, benches 225 (combine) 23 times. What I've seen is he slips blocks and finds the ball. Maybe he has other issues but I'd love to see some team give him a chance there.

All true, but none of that is Ben. Teams weren't always in prevent in the fourth, but more often than not, Ben was in no huddle calling his own plays that looked completely different from the first three quarters.

How many times did we see Ben look at the sideline in disgust, or with a shrug, or in complete disbelief?

Shocking that we didn't show more than 7 points in the first half in so many games running 3 yard routes and running Najee into a brick wall of defenders... It's clearly Ben's fault.
Sorry but I just can’t help myself here. I loved Ben in his prime. But for you to say” none of that is Ben”. I mean seriously?

All season long all I heard was how Ben cant call his own plays or audio out. Now you tell me he was calling his plays in all the 4th quarters where they magically looked better. Why then with all his experience was he not calling his own plays the first 3/4’s. When they were netting 100 yards after 3/4 of the game. Why was he throwing 3 yards on 90% of passing plays. He missed players constantly. We all know it was not all Bens fault. But he had his fair share of the blame.

So, it's Ben's fault?

The decision making on this team in drafting, play calling, scheme, coaching up guys, etc. is the worst.

I put it on the front office and coaching for building a turd team, and pretending it will run through other teams like a Mercedes-Benz.

But, execution, for sure. Ben sucks. Yup.

I agree except the last two but this will play out in the next couple years. Loudermilk is going to get some growth experience, weight and muscle. I think a fourth round draft choice (which he is) will pay dividends as a solid backup or starter. Not a terrible move.

Roche is a guy who I really liked and the Steelers seemed hell bent on keeping him an OLB, so do the Giants . I'd move him inside to buck, he's definitely big enough and he has a nose for the ball. He runs in the upper 4.6, benches 225 (combine) 23 times. What I've seen is he slips blocks and finds the ball. Maybe he has other issues but I'd love to see some team give him a chance there.
I would’ve taken a chance that Loudermilk fell. I liked the Roche pick, but he didn’t make the roster. Give me a quality full-time starter on day three of the draft 10 out of 10 times.

So, it's Ben's fault?

The decision making on this team in drafting, play calling, scheme, coaching up guys, etc. is the worst.

I put it on the front office and coaching for building a turd team, and pretending it will run through other teams like a Mercedes-Benz.

But, execution, for sure. Ben sucks. Yup.

To many use BEN as a 'scape goat as I said in my beginning post. The real problem is HC on down the tree. YES BEN was a contributing factor but NOT to the degree many appologists want to make yaz think.

We can revisit this thread mid-season come football time and see near the same results on team play, maybe then some will open up the eyeballs.

Salute the nation