• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What will the Pittsburgh Steelers off-season look like?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Since Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin held his end of season press conference, there have been countless takes on what actions the Steelers will take in the post Ben Roethlisberger era.

Tomlin was not exactly explicit in answering questions about the Steelers future, even when it came to the notion of the imminent retirements of Roethlisberger, Keith Butler and Kevin Colbert. In truth, there is no benefit of his being overly transparent, but here are a few takeaways from what was said combined with my interpretations and predictions:

Coaching Staff Changes​

Tomlin acknowledged the offense took a step back to a “non-satisfactory state,” but expressed optimism in Matt Canada. Despite five consecutive games where the offense failed to score a TD in the first half, an ignominious feat not accomplished since the 1940 Steelers, but all signs seem to point to Canada’s return for a second go-round.

Prediction: It might not be a popular take, but Canada will remain to be the Steelers offensive coordinator in 2022. It is the most realistic expectation, given Tomlin’s, and the Steelers, philosophy as it pertains to coordinators. Ray Sherman remains the only coordinator on either side of the ball to be fired after one campaign, and even the disastrous results under Joe Walton and Kevin Gilbride had at least a two-year tenure despite lack of support from many of the players. With Butler set to announce his future, Teryl Austin brings five years experience as a defensive coordinator and is the most likely candidate, given the Steelers recent history of promoting from within.

The Steelers Future QB​

A return of Canada likely will have an influence to who the Steelers next starting QB will be and mobility is a key factor in the optimal execution of Canada’s RPO scheme. Tomlin indicated Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins will be given an opportunity to compete for the job while adding that, “All options are on the table.” This is one time I certainly hope it is not just a “Tomlinism.” Colbert has long indicated that he wanted to leave the Steelers when Roethlisberger retired, but also that he wanted to have Roethlisberger’s heir in place when he did as well. One can argue that the trade to move up in 2018 in order to acquire Rudolph in the 3rd round was an effort to do so.

Prediction: There will certainly be no shortage of predictions when it comes to the next QB of the Steelers. There will be rumors of Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson from the talking heads, but it’s just unrealistic. It goes against the very nature of the franchise to trade away multiple picks for a short term move. Most likely, this team will go into the upcoming NFL Draft with the hopes of landing a Kenny Pickett or Matt Corral (who it is rumored that Colbert is high on). It is more likely the Steelers make a draft day trade to land a QB than bringing in a free agent to take over starting duties. Again, it will sound boring even if a rookie is drafted or a free agent is signed, expect Mason Rudolph to line up under center on opening day. But he could have a quick hook to him, just like in 2019.

Offensive Line: Center​

Tomlin responded to a question about the center position and he felt that J.C. Hassenauer gave the team the best opportunity to win at the end of the season, which it seemed clear that the offensive line improved when he started and that Kendrick Green was attractive to the team in the 2021 Draft because he had “position flexibility.” It seemed an odd comment, considering that Hassenauer was available and Green struggled throughout the season. Green played the majority of his collegiate career at Illinois as a guard and only five starts at center, and yet, was immediately inserted as the starting center without much of a chance for competition.

Prediction: Green will not be in consideration as the starter at center next season and will likely be shifted to guard and replace Trai Turner who is an UFA. It was perhaps the team’s own stubbornness (investing a 3rd round pick) that refused to adapt to the struggles of Green not only changing positions, but to do so by placing him at the most difficult position on the line that had extremely limited experience and none as a unit.

Summation​

There will certainly be a lot of changes given the Steelers have $45M in cap space and a lot of UFA’s. The Steelers will weigh their options as this would truly be the first time in the era of the salary cap the Steelers would have (a.) the cap room and (b.) the cash flow to use free agency as a viable tool in building a contender in the post-Roethlisberger era. The question is, how comfortable will they be in implementing a different approach?

What do you think? Will the Steelers be more conservative and remain focused on building through the draft? Or will they play the free agent market aggressively? Leave your thoughts below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think if they don't get one of each OL & DL truly high starter capabilities starter then they will be going backwards for another season. Arguably a 2nd STARTER is needed on the OL as well.

If they spend high draft capital on a QB then they will be not investing as much as is needed in the trenches.

Salute the nation

Yep Drink! Cannot ignore the trenches! I know, they’re not glamorous picks like QB, Receiver, and RB but these are the guys I think you have to build around.
We all saw what happened last season with weak OL and DL.

Yep Drink! Cannot ignore the trenches! I know, they’re not glamorous picks like QB, Receiver, and RB but these are the guys I think you have to build around.
We all saw what happened last season with weak OL and DL.

Especialy when you see the KC center Humphery and we could have had him. I could be wrong but I think he rated out as the highest CENTER in the nfl, not just rookies. 13+ years of that would be nice

Salute the nation

Especialy when you see the KC center Humphery and we could have had him. I could be wrong but I think he rated out as the highest CENTER in the nfl, not just rookies. 13+ years of that would be nice

Salute the nation
Yeah Drink Creed is a beast. He was a beast for the Sooners and would have fit in with the back n’ gold really well. Could have been the anchor for years. I think we could have had him in the second but chose Muuuuth who I like very much but we really needed a center.
Muuuth I think was more of a luxury pick where as Creed was a necessity but I can certainly live with Muuuth. We better draft a center this draft. That kid from Iowa can’t remember his name damit, I think it’s Linden something but he would do nicely if we could snatch him up in the second. I’m hoping for big Kenyon Green the OL from my Aggies in round one. I also wouldn’t mind if they went DL with one of those Georgia Bulldogs. We’ll see!

Tyler Linderbaum! Damn I couldn’t remember his name. The center at Iowa. Don’t think he makes it out of the first round though.

Tyler Linderbaum! Damn I couldn’t remember his name. The center at Iowa. Don’t think he makes it out of the first round though.
There is a T and him that are high on my want list I have a feeling both will be off the board by 20. Perhaps a G, DE, NT will be better value in that event. Should be no problem to BPA with so many holes to fill.

There is a T and him that are high on my want list I have a feeling both will be off the board by 20. Perhaps a G, DE, NT will be better value in that event. Should be no problem to BPA with so many holes to fill.
Yeah Slash I think he may be gone before we pick. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking he would maybe be there in the second.The tackle I like is big Kenyon Green from my alma mater Texas A&M. Would love it to see us take one of these two with our first pick but I’d be ok going DL with one of the talented DL from Georgia. Between this draft and plenty of cap space I would think we could make significant impact in fixing OL and DL. I don’t know what the hell you do with ILB. This Bush situation can set us back big time. We shouldn’t have to be concerned with his position as expensive as it was to move up and get him.

c

Yeah Slash I think he may be gone before we pick. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking he would maybe be there in the second.The tackle I like is big Kenyon Green from my alma mater Texas A&M. Would love it to see us take one of these two with our first pick but I’d be ok going DL with one of the talented DL from Georgia. Between this draft and plenty of cap space I would think we could make significant impact in fixing OL and DL. I don’t know what the hell you do with ILB. This Bush situation can set us back big time. We shouldn’t have to be concerned with his position as expensive as it was to move up and get him.
Weirder things have happened. Ekwonu is 1B right now on the want list. It will be interesting to see how free agency impacts our want list too. Love the draft process!

Last edited:
The Steelers FO will hold their dicks, scratch their balls over and over while every decent FA OL or DL player is picked up by other teams, just like they always do! We will wait for round 3 to begin with marginal scrubs so we can go bargain shopping, then shake our heads as to why the OL or DL isn't vastly improved after their "stellar" acquisitions!

The Steelers FO will hold their dicks, scratch their balls over and over while every decent FA OL or DL player is picked up by other teams, just like they always do! We will wait for round 3 to begin with marginal scrubs so we can go bargain shopping, then shake our heads as to why the OL or DL isn't vastly improved after their "stellar" acquisitions!
This better not be the approach this year. But I can't say it would shock me if it did happen.

wow it's amazing what a franchise Qb can do for you.

Yeah Drink Creed is a beast. He was a beast for the Sooners and would have fit in with the back n’ gold really well. Could have been the anchor for years. I think we could have had him in the second but chose Muuuuth who I like very much but we really needed a center.
Muuuth I think was more of a luxury pick where as Creed was a necessity but I can certainly live with Muuuth. We better draft a center this draft. That kid from Iowa can’t remember his name damit, I think it’s Linden something but he would do nicely if we could snatch him up in the second. I’m hoping for big Kenyon Green the OL from my Aggies in round one. I also wouldn’t mind if they went DL with one of those Georgia Bulldogs. We’ll see!

I hear yaz but was just thinking near the same. OL & DL 1st & 2nd but you never know what the FO is thinking.

Salute the nation

If he was there at 1.20 (Ithink that's our pick)would you take him ?

Salute the nation

If he was there at 1.20 (Ithink that's our pick)would you take him ?

Salute the nation
I think I would! He’s had a really nice career at Iowa particularly this last season. He could anchor this OL for years. Then I would address tackle and guard in free agency.
Second round would be DL.
And this team needs to figure out ILB too. Damn I hope Bush can take some giant steps forward this off-season.

I think I would! He’s had a really nice career at Iowa particularly this last season. He could anchor this OL for years. Then I would address tackle and guard in free agency.
Second round would be DL.
And this team needs to figure out ILB too. Damn I hope Bush can take some giant steps forward this off-season.
So far my round 1 value board is Linderbaum, Ekwonu, then Davis.

It is worth noting the most aggressive the Steelers have ever been in FA & draft was 2001-2004,

They made multiple trades in 1st/2nd round to get Casey Hampton, Kendall Bell, Troy Polamalu & Ricardo Colclough. Signed James Farrior, Jeff Hartings, and Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Not long before that - they went after Wayne Gandy & thus had an OL that featured 4 1st-round picks. Would like to see some more of that aggressiveness this offseason to strengthen the roster as they finally have cap room.

I hear yaz but was just thinking near the same. OL & DL 1st & 2nd but you never know what the FO is thinking.

Salute the nation
FO was thinking that Heyward, Tuitt with Tyson meant DL was arguably the strongest unit on the team.

Love Muth, and he might even be the better player over his career, but Creed Humphrey was the smarter pick. They’d be one step closer to having the OL built. Typically getting just 2 OL that can dominate can carry a OL to a higher level.

FO was thinking that Heyward, Tuitt with Tyson meant DL was arguably the strongest unit on the team.

Love Muth, and he might even be the better player over his career, but Creed Humphrey was the smarter pick. They’d be one step closer to having the OL built. Typically getting just 2 OL that can dominate can carry a OL to a higher level.

I hear you on the two DL injuries and one can't disiss that fact but Tuitt should have been replaced somewhere in the equasion but hind sight is 20/20.

I'd like to point out that their eyes need to be wide open on the Tuitt situation and not wait until camp for their plan. Pro-action not Re-action.

Thanks for all your great post(s) and articles FSF I and many others appreciate them.

Salute the nation

Reactions: FSF
I hear you on the two DL injuries and one can't disiss that fact but Tuitt should have been replaced somewhere in the equasion but hind sight is 20/20.

I'd like to point out that their eyes need to be wide open on the Tuitt situation and not wait until camp for their plan. Pro-action not Re-action.

Thanks for all your great post(s) and articles FSF I and many others appreciate them.

Salute the nation
But that is the biggest problem with them. They are slow at just about every decision they make. Hang onto - starting a G not being proficient at C. Waiting almost a whole season before addressing the Dline then it was plucking a guy off a PS. Putting Spillane in on passing downs. Waiting too long to address corner after the Nelson debacle. Not bringing in Bush competition knowing he was coming in off major surgery and his game was built on speed. Leaving Canada in all year, ditto Klemm who obviously wasn't cutting the mustard. Not letting Butler call defensive plays coming off an embarrassing playoff loss to the clowns. So they either didn't make adjustments or were snail like in their approach. No wonder the team was a W L W L outcome type. Very few good decisions were made. So far early out the gates they are showing that they will be continuing their slow or not at all approach.

I’m happy with Linderbaum or Trevor Penning as the 1st round pick

But that is the biggest problem with them. They are slow at just about every decision they make. Hang onto - starting a G not being proficient at C. Waiting almost a whole season before addressing the Dline then it was plucking a guy off a PS. Putting Spillane in on passing downs. Waiting too long to address corner after the Nelson debacle. Not bringing in Bush competition knowing he was coming in off major surgery and his game was built on speed. Leaving Canada in all year, ditto Klemm who obviously wasn't cutting the mustard. Not letting Butler call defensive plays coming off an embarrassing playoff loss to the clowns. So they either didn't make adjustments or were snail like in their approach. No wonder the team was a W L W L outcome type. Very few good decisions were made. So far early out the gates they are showing that they will be continuing their slow or not at all approach.

TOTALLY on board here, very slow decisions that I like to say "we need PRO-action and not RE-action" but this FO / HC seem to be the latter of the two. *** backwards for a professional football team that has a history of winning and being the envy of most. Now we are the "player's coach" envy for slackers.

slash, you continously have great post(s) and patience on this board. I thank you for both.!

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
Appreciate.

I have zero tangible evidence to support the suspicion that the two sides seemed to reach an agreement that he would miss the entire season.

It’s 100% supposition: the injury that no one spoke of or got more information on, there was never any indication he could return this year, the way that Butler went from talking about it early to silent overnight and how the team shifted his salary # to next year—For what reason I don’t know.