• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Whatever It Takes: The 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
On January 10th, 2021, the Pittsburgh Steelers walked off of a field in an empty, demoralized stadium. No one but themselves and their opponents who handed them a brutal beat down, the Cleveland Browns. Ben Roethlisberger sat alongside Maurkice Pouncey dejected; both knowing this was “the end.”

As it turned out, not only was it the end of a once-promising season, it was the end for members like Pouncey and Vance McDonald as they would retire shortly after the season concluded. Sometime later, others like Steven Nelson, Vince Williams, and David DeCastro would find themselves departing—whether it was retirements or to a new team. Anger, disappointment, and concern ravaged Steeler Nation. Was this it for the career of Roethlisberger? Were we facing a time like the ’80s? A lot of questions, and answers not coming soon enough.

Credit: Tribune-Review

Credit: Tribune-Review

Chuck Noll started a specific phrase in the ’70s. It is derived from a quote that begins something like…

“Doing everything you can, and then doing a little bit more to help the team win is doing…”

Before I finish the quote, which you may already know how it ends. Let’s pick up where we left off.

February 17th, 2021. Kevin Colbert spoke to the media and the big question out there was simple: what was going to happen to Big Ben?

“As we sit here today, Ben is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

That wasn’t the most reassuring answer. Nonetheless, Roethlisberger wanted to be back. On March 4th, 2021, reports came out that he and the Steelers had reached an agreement; one that was untraditional. Roethlisberger signed a restructured, void-year inclusive deal that saw him take a pay cut. One of the greatest figures in Pittsburgh sports history took a pay cut, setting the tone for his teammates with an impending free agency.

Post-4859.jpg

Credit: Twitter @jsko_photo

With Roethlisberger’s move, JuJu Smith-Schuster passed up deals from teams that would have created opportunities with more money—confirmed by ESPN‘s Adam Schefter. Certainly, a tighten cap year influenced his market, but he could have easily gone to the Kansas City Chiefs or Baltimore Ravens. Instead, he decided to go at least one more round in the Steel City. Shortly, by a little intervention by the universe, Tyson Alualu decided to stay in Pittsburgh after verbally committing to the Jacksonville Jaguars. These were things Kevin Colbert highlighted later in the off-season—veteran selflessness—that all started with Roethlisberger. The question now was, can they make this work and give themselves and Ben one last shot? As it looks, they were going to do.

An offensive line was torn apart. A retirement, a free agency walk or two, and a necessary cap casualty. All of the outside hate rejoiced as the offensive line had lost the personnel that was a part of that dreadful 2020 performance. The Steelers draft two linemen, retain Zach Banner, and sign a veteran in Trai Turner. They weren’t sexy transactions and picks. But with a new offensive line coach and offensive coordinator, they were the guys they felt would be ready to roll. Let the naysayers sing what they want. Do they really think awful coaching didn’t influence that 2020 line? Of course not. This offensive line isn’t that 2014-2017 unit. The potential, however, is there. All it might take is competent coaching and “necessary violence” after all, the Steelers are going to do.

Speaking of the draft, do you know what else the naysayers will say? Drafting a first round talent running back in the first round isn’t smart.

Post-4953-e1630338173827.jpg

“They could have got one later. He’s an older running back. This doesn’t help the fuuuuuture!!!!”

Shut up. Najee Harris was a dominant running back at Alabama, a humble soul, and a ruthless competitor. Why wouldn’t you want this guy on your team? Yes. This move was made with a “win now” mentality. Are you telling me he won’t be a part of the team’s future? Baloney.

“Oh, but they picked a tight end over a first round talent offensive lineman!”

That tight end’s name is Pat Freiermuth, and if you missed him this preseason, I don’t know what to tell you.

“Oh, but their o-line investment came AFTER the second round! Horrible investment!”

You mean a mauler in Kendrick Green and a battle-tested SEC left tackle in Dan Moore Jr.? The Steelers have made it clear what they are going to do.

Post-5123.jpg

Yes. The Steelers lost defensive talent. Steven Nelson and Bud Dupree are with new teams—Vince Williams retired. With that being said, did you really forget Alex Highsmith and Cameron Sutton? Two guys, who answered the call and played well when needed? And they’re just scratching the surface. But hey, if you’re not convinced, just look at the acquisitions of Melvin Ingram III, Joe Schobert, and Karl Joseph. Look at the rise of guys like James Pierre. It’s simple what the Steelers are going to do.

At the end of the day, I’m not trying to convince you how this season is going to go. I’m not guaranteeing anything one way or another. However, what I am guaranteeing is something we have seen develop this off-season and preseason. This team isn’t going to roll over. I hope teams overlook the Pittsburgh Steelers. I hope analysts keep counting them out. I hope opposing fans talk their junk. The Steelers locker room hears it. They do not care. They may not be the “paper champions,” but these guys have something to prove. The outside noise doesn’t matter.

Because as Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin have echoed for nearly five decades in their own way:

Doing everything you can—the front office, the coaching staff, the players—and then doing a little bit more… taking those pay cuts, making those unit tear downs, making those staff changes and player acquisitions… to help the 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers win… is doing.

Whatever it takes.​

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..