• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where are the Steelers with their GM Search?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ever since we learned that Kevin Colbert was stepping down as General Manager of the Pittsburgh Steelers after the 2022 NFL Draft, fans have been wondering who would take over for him. Colbert has been a mainstay within the organization and is arguably one of the best General Managers in the history of the NFL. Needless to say, whoever is tapped to become the next General Manager of the Steelers, they’ll have some big shoes to fill.

Although we know there won’t be a formal announcement until after the draft, we’ve seen a slew of prospects interviewed for the job opening. With the number of potential replacements sitting down with the Steelers, it is easy to get lost in who they’ve talked to. Therefore to help us, here is the full list of names (as of February 27th):

Omar Khan-Vice president of football & business administration, Pittsburgh Steelers

Brandon Hunt-Pro personnel coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers

Ryan Cowden-Vice president of player personnel, Tennessee Titans

Ed Dodds-Assistant general manager, Indianapolis Colts

JoJo Wooden-Director of player personnel, Los Angeles Chargers

Louis Riddick-ESPN NFL analyst, former director of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles

Morocco Brown-Director of college scouting, Indianapolis Colts

John Wojciechowski-Co-director of player personnel, Green Bay Packers

John Spytek-Vice President of player personnel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dan Morgan-Assistant general manager, Carolina Panthers

Ran Carthon-San Francisco 49ers director of pro personnel

Joe Hortiz-Baltimore Ravens director of college scouting

Andy Weidl-Philadelphia Eagles vice preside of player personnel

With such a long list of names however, the question remains; where are we in the search? We’ve only heard of who has interviewed, but we don’t know how many individuals the Steelers plan on hiring, who the front runners are, and who else they’ll bring in to interview.

I think it is great to see the Steelers being so diligent in their search. They know the value of a great General Manager and are clearly not letting any stone unturned throughout the process. Not to mention, there are several heavy-hitter names on that list and we’re expecting to see more as we inch closer to the draft in April. But of those names, the internal prospects of Hunt and Khan are current favorites of landing the job. According to Pro Football Network’s National NFL Insider, Aaron Wilson, many league sources believe either Hunt or Khan are expected to get promoted to become the next Steelers’ General Manager. But I think the Steelers are taking more of a committee-approach to this role.

I think we should expect more than one announcement tied to the General Manager position. With the current hire of Brian Flores to a newer role within Head Coach Mike Tomlin’s staff, this shows the Rooney’s are seeming more open to bringing more people into the organization than what we’ve seen before and this could bleed into the front office positions.

In my opinion, I’d love to see Riddick join the Steelers in any capacity. Between his incredible football acumen, front-office savvy, and overall league knowledge and experience, Riddick would be an incredible asset for the Steelers, let alone any other organization. Expect the Steelers to continue interviews leading up to April’s draft and some new faces join the organization.

As we continue to see the list of interviewees grow, we’ll make sure to keep yinz updated!

Who would you like to see as the next General Manager? Who do you think they should interview next? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Cowden, Brown or Dodds.

I go in-between Dodds and Brown a lot in my mind. Either or would get my nod.

They still have 12 to 15 people to interview

Cowden, Brown or Dodds.

I go in-between Dodds and Brown a lot in my mind. Either or would get my nod.
Those are solid choices, I'd like them to go outside the organization whoever they choose.
I like Wojciechowski as well and he was pretty funny in Barney Miller.

trying to interview a ton of prospects increases the odds they lose out on someone they want.

Rats have been or had been getting some great draft picks. Why not Hortiz?

Rats have been or had been getting some great draft picks. Why not Hortiz?
I thought about him and the 9ers interview as both have been known to be good drafting teams. I just really like what the Colts have done in their drafts.

Last edited:
Those are solid choices, I'd like them to go outside the organization whoever they choose.
I like Wojciechowski as well and he was pretty funny in Barney Miller.

Hell yes! And get Fish to head up scouting department!!! 😉

It's all a smoke screen. They'll still stick with Khan and Hunt.