• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Where does it end?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pinterest and The Knot (whatever that is) are private companies and they are within their rights to do this. I find the term "plantation" to hold very negative connotations, so it makes sense to me. I don't see this as any kind of slippery slope. Now, if the government told them to do it, that would be a problem.

We went to a plantation by Charleston this past summer. It was frickin awesome, beautiful. No one alive today had anything to do with slavery. Time to get over the butthurt.

https://www.boonehallplantation.com/about-us/

We disagree on this one. Plenty of people alive today had relatives who were slaves on plantations. I wouldn't presume to tell them it's time to get over their butthurt.

We disagree on this one. Plenty of people alive today had relatives who were slaves on plantations. I wouldn't presume to tell them it's time to get over their butthurt.

***** given? Zero.

Plenty of people alive today had distant relatives who were sharecroppers. You know, white slaves. ***** given? Zero.

Plenty of people alive today had relatives who were enslaved, raped or slaughtered by Muslims. ***** given? A lot, because those atrocities occur up through today.

So ******* what if your great-great-grandmama was a slave? Seriously, who gives a ****? The obsession by blacks with slavery is worthless, has no value or purpose, and is really just a convenient excuse for whatever the issue is today. Trouble in school? Slavery. Late to work? Slavery. Not enough money to pay the rent? Slavery. Not enough money to buy that jacket so you steal it? Slavery. Flash mobs robbing stores with dozens of criminals ganging up for such necessities as Nikes and hoodies? Slavery. Burnt the toast? Slavery. Ran out of gas? Slavery.

******* sick of it.

Pinterest and The Knot (whatever that is) are private companies and they are within their rights to do this. I find the term "plantation" to hold very negative connotations, so it makes sense to me. I don't see this as any kind of slippery slope. Now, if the government told them to do it, that would be a problem.

So we should just tear down every plantation and/or Antebellum Style house still standing in the Southern States? Many of these estates and homes were built at the time of the American Revolution and are some of the most historic homes in the US. Their craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none and it's work that we don't see anymore in this country. Nobody is hosting weddings to romanticize slavery, if anything, I think it serves as a reminder of what occurred in our past and what we must prevent from ever occurring again. Auschwitz is still standing as a museum and testament to the atrocities that occurred during the holocaust and is one of the most popular museums in all of Poland. They offer all kinds of programs including picnics, photography classes...etc, not to romanticize what occurred there but to remember what occurred so that it can never happen again. Now Pinterest and the Knot will stop supporting plantations but still support resorts and destination weddings in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica...where workers earn 2-3 USD a day and have no problem with that. They still advertise and support Mt. Washington, even though George Washington owned hundreds of slaves. You can cut the hypocrisy with a knife.

The buildings and grounds are majestic and historical and are no more responsible for slavery than a cotton ball is. They are inanimate objects that were used by people that owned slaves at a time when it was not only legal but by and large socially acceptable. Quit blaming inanimate objects for the actions of individuals.

Jesus you guys are triggered or you just really have a passion for plantations. This is about Pinterest not advertising plantations as wedding venues. Big ******* deal!

I would like to see you tough guys take your family on a vacation to a plantation where your grandparents were slaves.

***** given? Zero.

Plenty of people alive today had distant relatives who were sharecroppers. You know, white slaves. ***** given? Zero.

Plenty of people alive today had relatives who were enslaved, raped or slaughtered by Muslims. ***** given? A lot, because those atrocities occur up through today.

So ******* what if your great-great-grandmama was a slave? Seriously, who gives a ****? The obsession by blacks with slavery is worthless, has no value or purpose, and is really just a convenient excuse for whatever the issue is today. Trouble in school? Slavery. Late to work? Slavery. Not enough money to pay the rent? Slavery. Not enough money to buy that jacket so you steal it? Slavery. Flash mobs robbing stores with dozens of criminals ganging up for such necessities as Nikes and hoodies? Slavery. Burnt the toast? Slavery. Ran out of gas? Slavery.

******* sick of it.

The knockout game? Slavery. Got arrested for a crime? Slavery. Missed the winning shot in a pick up game of B-ball? Slavery.

It's kind of fun. We could do this **** all day. And CD, I'm not triggered. IDGAF about Pinterest. I just think it's stupid. Over Spring Break on our DC trip we went to Mount Vernon. Another beautiful, historic place. Does it make any sense today to punish that place because Washington had slaves? Not to me.

Jesus you guys are triggered or you just really have a passion for plantations. This is about Pinterest not advertising plantations as wedding venues. Big ******* deal!

With the 25% off coupon you are damn right it's a big deal!!

I would like to see you tough guys take your family on a vacation to a plantation where your grandparents were slaves.

Slavery ended in the United States in 1868. That was 151 years ago. If somebody had a grandparent who was a slave, that would be pretty remarkable, particularly where couples used to be married in their early 20's and had kids very young, and life expectancy was quite low.

More likely someone would have a great-grandparent, or even more likely a great-great-grandparent, who was a slave. What do I know about my great-great-grandparents? Nothing. Were they worked to death like a lot of Irish immigrants? Maybe.

Would I boycott Ireland or Greensburg, PA or Ellis Island due to that fact? Yeah, no. Anybody who delves into ancient family history to learn great-great-grandma Beatrice was a slave in South Carolina in 1861 on such-and-such plantation, and is somehow emotionally harmed by that fact, probably needs mental health treatment more than a boycott of the plantation-that-has-not-been-a-plantation-for-150-years.

With the 25% off coupon you are damn right it's a big deal!!

Slavery ended in the United States in 1868. That was 151 years ago. If somebody had a grandparent who was a slave, that would be pretty remarkable, particularly where couples used to be married in their early 20's and had kids very young, and life expectancy was quite low.

More likely someone would have a great-grandparent, or even more likely a great-great-grandparent, who was a slave. What do I know about my great-great-grandparents? Nothing. Were they worked to death like a lot of Irish immigrants? Maybe.

Would I boycott Ireland or Greensburg, PA or Ellis Island due to that fact? Yeah, no. Anybody who delves into ancient family history to learn great-great-grandma Beatrice was a slave in South Carolina in 1861 on such-and-such plantation, and is somehow emotionally harmed by that fact, probably needs mental health treatment more than a boycott of the plantation-that-has-not-been-a-plantation-for-150-years.

Point taken on the grandparent thing, but the point remains. And I think most people who have slaves in the family tree know about it. They would not need to go searching to learn about it. The people I know who have slaves in their background seem to have always known about it. In any case, we're talking about Pinterest not allowing plantations to advertise their wedding services, not the end of the white race.

My grandfather's brother was executed by the Nazi's outside of Florence, while serving in the OSS in WWII. They were captured as "spies" even though they were all in uniform, and 2 days later they were executed and buried in a mass grave. Our entire family has made the trip over to the jail they were held, the execution site, and the burial location numerous times. We have had picnics at both the location of the mass grave, the execution site, as well as the Florence American cemetery where he is now buried. At each location my grandfather will tell anyone and everyone in either English or Italian what occurred there and why. My Grandmother came to the US when she was 17 leaving most of her family behind in Poland. Two of my great aunts were picked up by the SS and taken to Auschwitz/Birkenau Concentration camp where one died in the gas chamber and the other died in captivity. My grandmother has taken our entire family to Auschwitz twice, we have met numerous survivors of the camp that go back every year, that will all tell their story and the stories of others so that nobody will ever forget what happened there.

Erasing history will not erase what occurred, if anything it will make it more likely to occur again in the future. Those that don't remember history are bound to repeat it. Most families have had hardships and atrocities in their ancestry and nothing will ever change what occurred. Some people choose to always be the victim of their past rather than looking towards the future.

I'd like to think I'd look at it like, my great x 3 grandparents were slaves on this plantation, now my kids are in college and I own my business, wow what an awesome accomplishment and how grateful we'd be for the generations proceeding us.

That said, black slaves are not in my family tree so who knows how I'd feel. I can state that my great grandfather on my Dads side was a laborer on a farm nearby and we don't even know where he's buried. His son went on to be a doctor in his 40s and practiced in a mining town that no longer exists. No idea where the house my Dad grew up in. My Dad worked hard as hell, managed not to get killed in WWII and also was a physician. Amazing how 2 docs came from a guy we have no idea where he's buried. Guess they didn't blame the past or their present as an excuse of not being able to make something of their lives

Last edited:
I can state that my great grandfather on my Dads side was a laborer on a farm nearby and we don't even know where he's buried. His son went on to be a doctor in his 40s and practiced in a mining town that no longer exists. No idea where the house my Dad grew up in. My Dad worked hard as hell, managed not to get killed in WWII and also was a physician. Amazing how 2 docs came from a guy we have no idea where he's buried. Guess they didn't blame the past or their present as an excuse of not being able to make something of their lives

Nice. And that is the story of almost all people in the United States - families came to the country poor, worked hard, did not get government handouts, put their kids through school, and each generation was better off than the previous. "White privilege"? More like "hard work" privilege.

The cycle of each generation being more successful than the prior seems to be ending, however. Funny how the more the government gives away, the less well off our kids are.

Reactions: JMM