• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who has ‘Risen’ on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Draft Board and Who Should they ‘Pass Over’?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With a mere 11 days left before the opening night of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers are making their final push in their pre-draft preparations. We’ve seen General Manager Kevin Colbert, Head Coach Mike Tomlin, and even Defensive Assistant Brian Flores make their rounds to various college Pro Days. In Pittsburgh, we’ve seen a plethora of prospective draft picks visit the facility and meet with the team. In what is shaping to be one of the most crucial drafts in recent Steelers history, the Steelers are being diligent in their analysis and are not leaving any stone unturned. So after the NFL Combine, the Pro Day circuit, and prospect meetings, who has a good chance of getting called in the first round? Who has fallen out of favor or priority?

In light of this holiday weekend, let’s take a look at whose early-round chances have ‘risen’ and who the Steelers should ‘pass over’ in the draft:

Who has RISEN for the Steelers?

Desmond Ridder, Quarterback

We are all too aware of the Steelers’ dire quarterback needs and Ridder has gotten a lot of attention from Tomlin. Tomlin had dinner with Ridder leading into the Cincinnati Pro Day and Ridder visited the Steelers in Pittsburgh earlier this month. The Steelers have a better chance of Ridder being available to them at the 20th overall spot over Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett, and he has been bumping along the ‘late first round to early second round’ conversation. Ridder would fit well behind Mitch Trubisky early on to be groomed into a possible starter. If the Steelers want decent quarterback talent in this draft, they can’t wait for the 52nd overall spot on the second day; they’ll need to grab Ridder in the first round.

Steelers Desmond Ridder

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA; Cincinnati Bearcats quarterback Desmond Ridder (9) throws a pass against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in the first half at Nippert Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Kyle Hamilton, Safety

As of right now, the strong safety position is the only position that doesn’t have a presumed starter listed. Although we’re keeping a close eye on the Tyrann Mathieu sweepstakes, we know the Steelers have made a ‘hometown’ offer to Terrell Edmunds should he decide to regain his role within the defense. But even if one of those two signs, the Steelers don’t have a lot of reliable depth at the safety position. Hamilton checks all the right boxes the Steelers look for in a starting safety. The Steelers rarely use their first-round selection on a safety; but when they do, it is for good reason (see Troy Polamalu). I’m not saying Hamilton is on the same level as Polamalu, but he has a very similar play style and is an instant starter paired with Minkah Fitzpatrick. Hamilton has been slipping on some other teams’ draft boards, but he’s set to meet with the Steelers this week to prove he’s worth their 20th overall pick.

Steelers Kyle Hamilton

Safety Kyle Hamilton #14 of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. (Photo by Don Juan Moore / Getty Images)

Nick Cross, Safety

As you may notice, I anticipate the Steelers drafting a safety early on in this draft. But with that said, I’m looking at Cross a bit differently than Hamilton. Hamilton is first-round talent; that is for sure. But Cross is different in that he began the pre-draft cycle as a third-day pick, but has risen on multiple draft boards to the second-day conversation. Tomlin likes Maryland products and Cross comes across as a ‘better’ version of Sean Davis. Cross could bring what Tomlin thought Davis had as a part of the strong safety position in 2016. Cross tested well at the combine and turned a lot of heads with his speed and agility scores. If the Steelers decide to wait until after the first round to address the safety position, expect Cross to get a call on the second day. There haven’t been any reports indicating a visit to Pittsburgh, but I expect Cross and Tomlin to connect at some point before the draft.

Steelers Nick Cross

Photo via UMTerps.com

Who should be PASSED OVER?

Any offensive lineman

Before free agency, re-building the offensive line was a big priority. But with the re-signing of Chuks Okorafor and JC Hassenauer, combined with the acquisitions of Mason Cole and James Daniels, the Steelers are heading into the draft with higher needs than the offensive line. I’m not saying they won’t draft an offensive lineman in the entire draft, but the need has fallen outside of the ‘first three rounds’ conversation. Not to mention, the Steelers have yet to formally meet with any offensive line prospect and there doesn’t seem to be any name on the docket who are expected to visit Pittsburgh. I do not expect the Steelers to select an offensive lineman in the first two days of the draft.

Andrew Booth Jr., Cornerback

The Steelers need help in the secondary; that is a statement that is unanimous amongst Steeler Nation. However, the Steelers began to address that need through free agency in re-signing Arthur Maulet and Ahkello Witherspoon, while acquiring Levi Wallace as well. This doesn’t necessarily mean the Steelers won’t draft a cornerback early, though. But with that said, Booth Jr. has slid down the Steelers’ draft board. Booth Jr. was looking to be a top 20 selection in the draft, but he’s been injured for much of the pre-draft workouts and activities. He cited a quad injury prevented him from working out at the combine and his Pro Day, and underwent a successful sports hernia surgery at the end of March. Although he’s expected to be ready for training camp, Booth Jr.’s draft stock has slipped and the Steelers should avoid him with their 20th overall selection. This year’s cornerback draft class is fairly deep and the Steelers could find similar talent Booth Jr. possesses in the second or third rounds. The Steelers should look elsewhere in the earlier rounds.

Steelers Andrew Booth Jr.

Photo by John Byrum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Non-Slot Wide Receivers

With the departures of JuJu Smith-Schuster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and James Washington, the Steelers are going to be drafting a wide receiver in this draft. But with that said, this draft class is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of talent level and where the prospects line up on the field. The Steelers’ outside receivers are presumably set with Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, but the slot receiver role is open. Some names who could realistically be available at the 20th overall spot include George Pickens, Jameson Williams, John Metchie III, and Chris Olave. Of those names, I still consider quarterback and safety as higher priority in the first round than those receivers. This draft class is deep at the receiver position and with the likes of true slot receivers, such as Skyy Moore, Josh Johnson, Wan’Dale Robinson, and Khalil Shakir likely being available in the middle rounds, the Steelers should wait on calling a wide receiver early in the draft. Not to mention, the Steelers are one of the best organizations at drafting receivers, so there is no immediate pressure on using an early pick on a receiver in this draft.

Steelers Skyy Moore

Photo via Colts Wire / USA TODAY

Whose draft stock do you think has risen for the Steelers? Who do you think the Steelers should pass over in the draft? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I disagree with Oline falling out of high need. You still have questions at LG and RT. So if value is there it is a good idea to continue to build. To be honest WR can be had in 1 or 2 or they can simply bring in a WR that is still on the market. If QB has to be picked 1 or the value isn't there in 2 then don't pick any of them. Still QBs on the market that won't command a lot. And you can always draft a QB later in the draft to be the 4th. People tend to be throwing out that pigeon hole at a position. You really don't want to do that value wise. If a RT or G is BPA pick them or move down. Ditto Dline,CB, and WR. No need to really worry about RB, QB, and TE. As honestly the value won't be there in 1 andddd it isn't the greatest need. Right now your greatest need is SS. Then building your lines up , upgrading CB and WR depth. RB depth could be upgraded as well ditto OLber. I hope the Steelers stay true to their board. I am not so sure they do it constantly.

I disagree with Oline falling out of high need. You still have questions at LG and RT. So if value is there it is a good idea to continue to build. To be honest WR can be had in 1 or 2 or they can simply bring in a WR that is still on the market. If QB has to be picked 1 or the value isn't there in 2 then don't pick any of them. Still QBs on the market that won't command a lot. And you can always draft a QB later in the draft to be the 4th. People tend to be throwing out that pigeon hole at a position. You really don't want to do that value wise. If a RT or G is BPA pick them or move down. Ditto Dline,CB, and WR. No need to really worry about RB, QB, and TE. As honestly the value won't be there in 1 andddd it isn't the greatest need. Right now your greatest need is SS. Then building your lines up , upgrading CB and WR depth. RB depth could be upgraded as well ditto OLber. I hope the Steelers stay true to their board. I am not so sure they do it constantly.
Thing is, what OT or G could be available at 1.20? Penning, Zion , Green are probably the only left, and if so I rather pass and get an OT later, like Abraham, Walker, Faalale, Raimann, Mitchell

Thing is, what OT or G could be available at 1.20? Penning, Zion , Green are probably the only left, and if so I rather pass and get an OT later, like Abraham, Walker, Faalale, Raimann, Mitchell
I think Zion is special but yeah hard to gage who is available. I think there is always like the wow I can't believe this guy is available. Just hope the team isn't locking into QB as I think that would be a huge mistake. Now if the value is equal at WR or CB, etc... by all means that should be their approach their ultimate like. I honestly think there will be more than two attractive prospects sitting there. If they want a lineman later I am fine with that. I just don't want them reaching. I am hoping they stay clear of that.

I was with you until this :

I do not expect the Steelers to select an offensive lineman in the first two days of the draft.

I hope you are REALLY wrong. We addressed our O-Line, but it’s far from perfect and can still use upgrading. It would bode well for Najee, Mitch, and our receivers/tight ends if we did more upgrading.
I’d rather Muuuuuuuth do more catching than permanent blocking because the O-Line is incapable.
I sincerely hope our early draft is a “trenches” draft on both sides of the ball.
But really, BPA that’s not RB, TE, or QB would be fine by me.

gotta go dline 1st. that is the only position they did not address in free agency.

Hamilton is a prospect the Steelers would run to the podium for and I'd love to see him fall.

I'm not sure I agree with any of the "passed over" options.

Although I don't think the Steelers will draft an offensive lineman high, I think they should. It's still a very mediocre to below average group on paper and locking in a guy like Johnson could give the Steelers a strong interior for a power ground game. I still don't understand the point of drafting a running back high if you aren't going to put a strong run blocking unit in front of him. Currently, they don't have one.

Booth is a potentially elite, shutdown cornerback. They won't find one of those guys outside of the first round.

I'm also looking very hard at Wilson, Olave, or Williams if they fall. Oddly enough, Claypool may be a better fit for the slot and the Steelers could get a real playmaker at outside receiver. This team has shown they can unearth talent at receiver, but they also don't have Ben Roethlisberger throwing to them anymore.

Well if they traded up like Polamalu maybe...
If they had a 6th and they could give it and their 3rd for Hamilton, I'm all over it. Polamalu had injury concerns (concussion issues I believe). I think moving up to get Hamilton is gonna involve next year's 1st.

If they had a 6th and they could give it and their 3rd for Hamilton, I'm all over it. Polamalu had injury concerns (concussion issues I believe). I think moving up to get Hamilton is gonna involve next year's 1st.
Yeah that would be a little too pricey IMO. Obviously they would have to be comfy with whatever they would give up.

"Trench Warfare" on both sides of the line. I firmly feel we are not there yet on defense obviously but still can't deny the fact the OL needs a day one starter as well.

An after the 3rd pick for OL will tell me they think they have done enough for the OL to be great. Although they have done some good things there they just need that one more piece and would be all for not should they decide to skip that piece.

I see things a little differently in that Edmonds should be resigned so that OL can be picked. I know we may get a better SS than Edmonds but also know that pick would be at the cost of OL upfgrade and I see the "trench warfare" being more needed.

Resigning Edmonds is not a downgrade but a keep even stratagy.

Salute the nation

"Trench Warfare" on both sides of the line. I firmly feel we are not there yet on defense obviously but still can't deny the fact the OL needs a day one starter as well.

An after the 3rd pick for OL will tell me they think they have done enough for the OL to be great. Although they have done some good things there they just need that one more piece and would be all for not should they decide to skip that piece.

I see things a little differently in that Edmonds should be resigned so that OL can be picked. I know we may get a better SS than Edmonds but also know that pick would be at the cost of OL upfgrade and I see the "trench warfare" being more needed.

Resigning Edmonds is not a downgrade but a keep even stratagy.

Salute the nation
You can never have enough strength on the OL or DL. Never.

I hope they didn't just draft Najee last year in lieu of an offensive line.

This team has lots of needs, and if a player falls unexpectedly into their laps, they need to take him, regardless of the position, other than QB, RB or long snapper:rolleyes:.

I only hope they haven't fallen in love with someone and run to the podium if he's still there, with better talent still on the board.

You can never have enough strength on the OL or DL. Never.

I hope they didn't just draft Najee last year in lieu of an offensive line.
They sort of did. Rather than drafting building an offensive line based on draft pedigree or proven performance in the NFL, they built it on the hope they could develop mid rounders into viable offensive linemen.

LT Moore - He has potential, but has some glaring weaknesses already and is by no means a sure thing to lock down the position moving forward. His pass protection was a concern last year.

LG Dotson - Flashed as a rookie and regressed in year two. I'm not convinced they're sold on him as a long-term answer.

C Cole - Up and down career bouncing back and forth between starting and backup roles. Weak pass protection, good run blocker. Feels like a stopgap player or interior backup if they decide to give Green another chance at center.

RG Daniels - Proven performance at the NFL level, the only "sure thing" on the offensive line moving into 2022.

RT Okorafor - Mediocre in pass protection and poor as a run blocker. Not a guy to build a power ground attack around.

This team has lots of needs, and if a player falls unexpectedly into their laps, they need to take him, regardless of the position, other than QB, RB or long snapper:rolleyes:.

I only hope they haven't fallen in love with someone and run to the podium if he's still there, with better talent still on the board.

THIS

a-n-d

KNOW our podium messenger is by far the fastest human being at the draft.!

Salute the nation

They sort of did. Rather than drafting building an offensive line based on draft pedigree or proven performance in the NFL, they built it on the hope they could develop mid rounders into viable offensive linemen.

LT Moore - He has potential, but has some glaring weaknesses already and is by no means a sure thing to lock down the position moving forward. His pass protection was a concern last year.

LG Dotson - Flashed as a rookie and regressed in year two. I'm not convinced they're sold on him as a long-term answer.

C Cole - Up and down career bouncing back and forth between starting and backup roles. Weak pass protection, good run blocker. Feels like a stopgap player or interior backup if they decide to give Green another chance at center.

RG Daniels - Proven performance at the NFL level, the only "sure thing" on the offensive line moving into 2022.

RT Okorafor - Mediocre in pass protection and poor as a run blocker. Not a guy to build a power ground attack around.

More reasoning for my "sign Edmonds" theory of then having one more pick for OL.

Totally agree 448

Salute the nation

Your first 4 words summarized it - "They sort of did". Not good enough.