• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why is the D getting such a pass?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
IF you really look at it, the D is nearly JUST as bad as the O. Both are rated 30th. The only real difference is in the points category (where some claim the real rankings exist) and our D is not so near the bottom, as is the O. The D gives up about 21 PPG, right about at the middle of the NFL.

Admittedly, the offense is scoring near dead last at 17 PPG (but I think that includes D scoring, which it shouldn't. It ranks 31st regardless.)

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=d&cat=t&sort=ptsgm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team

But why isn't Austin getting the heat that Canada gets? I just heard another erroneous claim from the media a few minutes ago, someone on ESPN claiming "Well, we know Pgh's D is solid as usual..." No it's not. Why does the media assume things that are not true? The Steelers may still have the "image" of having a tough as nails D, but images can be false, as this one seems to be.

Austin, or more like Tomlin, should be getting heat for the D as well. It's not like they are playing so superior; better than the O, but that's not saying much.

Because Canada is so glaringly bad, that the D is easy to overlook. Plus when the D flashes, it is impressive.

But, you're right. I hope it softens when Cam returns.

The D isn't getting a pass. I've called them out. They suck against the pass and they suck against the run. If it weren't for Watt and Highsmith getting sacks and turnovers, we'd be lucky to have even 1 win. They have literally wrecked games and saved Canaduh. Then again, even if we were 1 and 5, I doubt they would have fired him.

There’s a great thread on here about how stats lie. No one is going to confuse this defense with the many legendary defenses of seasons passed, but they aren’t as bad as the stats present. The numbers are what they are, but thanks to a plethora of three and outs by our vaunted offense, the defense is on the field a lot.

The Steelers opponents get so many extra possessions due to a dearth of offense that they really can’t be anything but statistically horrible.

The D changes the game in an offensive oriented league. What they’re doing in today’s nfl is impressive for the amount of rules protecting the offense.

The D changes the game in an offensive oriented league. What they’re doing in today’s nfl is impressive for the amount of rules protecting the offense.

Even taking that into account, there are apparently about 30 teams in the league doing it better right now.

They are better than the 30th overall ranking suggests, but it's very debatable how much so.

Rushing the passer is about the only thing they do consistently well. They haven't shown they can stop the run nor cover in the secondary to this point.

The team overall has definitely not been as good as the 4-2 record would indicate. They were "a field of four leaf clovers inhabited by leprechauns" lucky against the Ravens due to their receivers, and the Rams kicker missed some kicks last week.

There’s a great thread on here about how stats lie. No one is going to confuse this defense with the many legendary defenses of seasons passed, but they aren’t as bad as the stats present. The numbers are what they are, but thanks to a plethora of three and outs by our vaunted offense, the defense is on the field a lot.

The Steelers opponents get so many extra possessions due to a dearth of offense that they really can’t be anything but statistically horrible.

I don't disagree, but even WITH the fact that the D is on the field so much due to our horrid O, the D STILL has to answer for performance that is on the weaker side. Yes, of course, the D would be better paired with an O that had far less 3 and outs, but the D has to still be accountable on its own accord. They are giving up tons of yards in both the rushing and passing game. Tomlin has turned into a "sack *****" who seems to allow all other D efforts to come AFTER sack attempts. It's not the wisest way to defend.

Defense is a little skewed because we got blown out 2x. Also didn't they score 14 points in one game? The D has bailed us out continously and could be winless without them. You can say the turnovers are lucky or what not, but they are not near as bad as the O.

Fair take as well 👏

Good title...I would run on us all day and the continued zone defense is hard to get. Tackling skills are horrible and when we hear secondary not supposed to make big tackles well seems everyone we play does this quite well.

Yeah they give up way too many yds., but as I mentioned in the other thread the Steelers allow 21 pts/game average. Thats right in the middle of the pack and it should be good enough to win. Points matter.
If the offense was average or above I think we'd be OK.

When the opposing offense is using 2 or 3 guys to block TJ, sometimes I wonder what the hell the other 10 guys are doing.

with the amount of 3-0s this offense have, the defense has a **** ton of time on the field. the rules/refs are stacked against defense football. it is really that easy.

Our entire defensive scheme relies on the edge rushers getting home and our "now" injured All-Pro FS playing a hybrid SS role for run defense.

While our D stats are skewed because they are constantly on the field, they are near the bottom in yards per play allowed as well.

We have a "splash-play" reliant defense...which is to say, we don't scheme very well at all.

This whole thing needs a reset, imo.

The defense is disappointing given the personnel they have. I don't worry quite as much about the yardage, but the points against needs to be better. This team was being built to win low-scoring games with a good running game. Well, we don't run the ball well and are averaging in the middle of the pack. They'll have to step up the back half of the season.

Because TJ is one of the league leaders in sacks.

Jacksonville punted twice half way through fourth quarter. Way too many first down 7 and 8 yard plays.