• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why J.C. Jackson Makes Perfect Sense for the Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Over the last decade, the Pittsburgh Steelers have struggled mightily at drafting the cornerback position. Most notably Artie Burns and Senquez Golson who were extremely disappointing selections. Golson never played a regular season down for the Steelers after being drafted in the second round. Most recently, losing Mike Hilton to free agency during the 2020 offseason left the Steelers with quite a bit of uncertainty heading into last season.

We saw this hole in the defense throughout the season with the Steelers being 24th in the NFL in points allowed and passing yards allowed, and 25th in passing touchdowns allowed. But nothing stands out more to Steelers fans then watching Patrick Mahomes throw for over 400 yards and 5 touchdowns against them during the AFC Wild Card game. So, who is one cornerback that the Steelers can go after during the offseason in order to help lock up this secondary?

The answer is J.C Jackson.

According to reports this week, it seems to appear that the New England Patriots are letting star corner J.C Jackson test the waters in free agency. Jackson with 8 interceptions, led the team last year and was second in the NFL. With Jackson being only 26 years old, the Steelers could sign him long-term and give him an opportunity to play along side Minkah Fitzpatrick for years to come. The Steelers could also use Day 2 of the draft to add to the secondary and give Jackson some help on the other side of the defense. If these moves are made, the Steelers defense could look a lot better come the 2022 season.

“I guess they feel like they don’t need me,” Jackson said. “I guess I can’t be that important to them. I know I am, but they’re not showing me.”

With the recent hiring of coach Brian Flores, it gives the Steelers an obvious connection. Flores was the Patriots linebacker coach in 2018 when Jackson came into the league. While Flores wasn’t his position coach, the two surely are familiar with each other.

“I love the game,” Jackson said in the interview. “If they tag me, I’m going to go out there and play. … Whatever happens, happens. I’m taking it day by day. But it’s time for me to get paid. It’s time to get Mr. INT paid.”

The Patriots could go the franchise tag route like they did last year with Stephon Gilmore. Jackson at least admits he would play on the tag, which is always an interesting decision. Steelers fans know how painful dealing with a player on the franchise tag can be.

Pro Football Focus predicts Jackson will command a 4-year, $77 million dollar contract. If the Steelers would come close to that figure with Jackson, it would be the largest free agent contract ever given by the team, and by a LARGE margin.

What are your thoughts on J.C Jackson, Steeler Nation? Leave a comment in the comment section below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

A Star CB? Too rich for KCs blood, I'd love the signing but I'm hopefully expecting they bring a good vet at around 8-10m and even I think that's wishful thinking

I see no way we can afford to pay a CB almost $20 million per. Minkah is going to get $15 million per, give or take as will DJ. They need to shore up the OL and DL more than signing a CB for that price. It would be nice but I don't see it being remotely possible or plausible.

A Star CB? Too rich for KCs blood, I'd love the signing but I'm hopefully expecting they bring a good vet at around 8-10m and even I think that's wishful thinking
I think that CB should be one of the priorities. Perhaps C too just to start free agency off. You want to show those free agents Steelers are interested in improving. Make coming to Pittsburgh more attractive.

I think they can grab a legit starter on both lines early in free agency and still not break the bank. That's where I'd be looking. I just can't see them spending anywhere north of $10 million per for a CB in free agency. But, since they do suck at drafting CB's in early rounds, they very well should look at a legit starting CB in free agency with Haden probably gone and Witherspoon still not signed.

19 mill a year is a boatload of cash, and how much of that is guaranteed money? He would be a great addition but I just don't see the Steelers spending that much for a corner. If they did, I would wonder if they could sign both DJ and MF.

I don't thin k they sign that huge a contract player $$$$$.

I do think they need to sign a proven FA and draft high CB as well.

A FA starter center

A high draft pick DL

We also need a high speed, VERY high speed WR that can beat our guy who runs our draft picks up to the podium

The STEELERS also need to send me a ton of steelers stuff dating back from day one.!

Salute the nation

Can’t pay someone more than Fitzpatrick in Free Agency.

That’s a component of what kept team together in late 2000s. They all took less than what could have gotten on open market, while still getting paid well.

Did not disrupt the balance of the locker room

Boys, we’re talking about our Steelers here. They ain’t ponying up 19 million a year for a CB. That’s not how they operate in FA. I don’t expect them to be big players in the first wave but may make a signing to the OL or DL but not anywhere near that amount.

Boys, we’re talking about our Steelers here. They ain’t ponying up 19 million a year for a CB. That’s not how they operate in FA. I don’t expect them to be big players in the first wave but may make a signing to the OL or DL but not anywhere near that amount.
Well their usual approach won't cut it when they finally have money to improve their roster. Fail to do that and any excuses they throw our way will be total bullshit. Like it has been said they don't have to target every top free agent. But upgrades and not wait until those upgrades are off the market. That won't cut it. No fan should be happy if that is the approach. I know I won't be.

Last edited:
If they signed Jackson, they couldnt sign Minkah as well. You can only have so many high priced players on one side of the ball.

19 mill a year is a boatload of cash, and how much of that is guaranteed money? He would be a great addition but I just don't see the Steelers spending that much for a corner. If they did, I would wonder if they could sign both DJ and MF.
Spotrac has him projected as 24M/season. I'd love to have Jackson, but not at TJ's value...

status quo
we hardly ever go after a big name. unless its one of our own ... we tend to bargain shop mid-level guys

Get real guys. We can't pay for top players at all positions. We will have Cam (for a couple more years anyway), Watt, Tuitt (although we should cut him), DJ (assuming they sign him), Minkah (assuming they sign him), a DL free agent (higher priority than CB), and OL free agent (higher priority than CB). And, who knows if they will do something stupid and bring in a QB like Jimmy G or higher cap hit. They have some cap space but not that much. They won't be signing pro-bowl free agents, they have too many holes to fill. They just need to sign legitimate NFL starters to complement the big-dollar guys they have. They absolutely should not restructure anyone to push cap dollars into future years. For the first time in forever, they really don't have to and shouldn't.

Here's the rub, the Steelers have historically had to let players go to keep under the cap. Not always stars, but a Mike Hilton for instance.

This is the first year since the cap began that they aren't in that scenario and next year they currently have the 2nd most cap space in the league. There are a lot of guys not on 2nd contract and no franchise QB money allocated that eats up $40M

With the TV deals, they also aren't as financially challenged. Who is to say what they might do with 1 or 2 players like might like in FA right now?

Get real guys. We can't pay for top players at all positions. We will have Cam (for a couple more years anyway), Watt, Tuitt (although we should cut him), DJ (assuming they sign him), Minkah (assuming they sign him), a DL free agent (higher priority than CB), and OL free agent (higher priority than CB). And, who knows if they will do something stupid and bring in a QB like Jimmy G or higher cap hit. They have some cap space but not that much. They won't be signing pro-bowl free agents, they have too many holes to fill. They just need to sign legitimate NFL starters to complement the big-dollar guys they have. They absolutely should not restructure anyone to push cap dollars into future years. For the first time in forever, they really don't have to and shouldn't.
They will restructure some into next year I bet, given the cap room is so enormous.

And I will disagree with you about the priority of a Top Level CB vs. OL. The OL is much easier to find and develop than it is to find a top level CB. Just look at how fast they built the line in early 2000s and then again in early 2010s. Both times within 3 years they had arguably the best OL in the league, and definitely a top 5. In truth, if you can land 2 studs it will make the line a lot better, get a 3rd and the weaknesses of the other 2 are covered up. So you really don't need 5 individual dominant lineman.

The last CB who went to multiple Pro Bowls with the Steelers was drafted in the 1980s - when Carnell Lake was forced back to CB in 1997. The only CB that went to a Pro Bowl with the Steelers was Joe Haden and prior to that, was drafted in the 1980s (and he was a college LB converted to SS). It took trades of first round picks to get the only All Pros in the secondary this millennium with Troy Polamalu and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

If it's feasible, get a top level CB is the top priority.

If they signed Jackson, they couldnt sign Minkah as well. You can only have so many high priced players on one side of the ball.
If they don't have anyone that is worth signing to the high priced contract on one side of the ball, why limit yourself?

Well their usual approach won't cut it when they finally have money to improve their roster. Fail to do that and any excuses they throw our way will be total bullshit. Like it has been said they don't have to target every top free agent. But upgrades and not wait until those upgrades are off the market. That won't cut it. No fan should be happy if that is the approach. I know I won't be.
Slash, I do hope that you and FSF are right. I would love to see them get involved in the early rounds of Free Agency. At least bring in a top caliber OL and possibly a DL. I'd like to see them soon make a decision on Stephon Tuitt, Zack Banner and Joe Shoebert. Thats' what, about an additional 20 million added to the cap? That could go a long way in rebuilding this football team. Btw boys, I'm hearing more rumblings on sports talk about the infamous Mitch Trubisky I've been pimping a strong possibility coming to the Steelers. For what thats' worth!

Slash, I do hope that you and FSF are right. I would love to see them get involved in the early rounds of Free Agency. At least bring in a top caliber OL and possibly a DL. I'd like to see them soon make a decision on Stephon Tuitt, Zack Banner and Joe Shoebert. Thats' what, about an additional 20 million added to the cap? That could go a long way in rebuilding this football team. Btw boys, I'm hearing more rumblings on sports talk about the infamous Mitch Trubisky I've been pimping a strong possibility coming to the Steelers. For what thats' worth!
I agree. That is my Saturday rant why isn't there restructures now? I see other teams doing it. That is what is exhausting about this team. Their snail approach to everything. Get all of that out of the way now so you can attack free agency. That and the bad free agent /roster decisions of recent past is why I hope that new GM isn't hired internally. The teams that make good quick decisions in free agency are competitive. See the Rams and Bucs and Chiefs. They are the poster boys for what needs to be done here and now to field a competitive roster.

Notice I didn't say win a SB each year. But be able to get to the playoffs and win a game.

I swear if they take that snail approach this free agency I might need to self medicate.