• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Linemen Should Be the Steelers’ First Priority This Off-Season

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
When it comes to the future of the Pittsburgh Steelers, there are many positions of need. While quarterback is always a vital necessity to a team’s success, the people that block for him are more valuable. So, before the Steelers look for a new play-caller, they should look at adding more protection for him to ensure long-term stability.

The free agent market has a few names that are worth looking at, such as Terron Armstead, Ryan Jensen, and Brandon Scherff. Armstead, with very few weaknesses in his game, could allow Najee Harris more room to run in the ground game.

Harris would also benefit from Ryan Jensen lining up at center. Ben Roethlisberger said that Kendrick Green would “dominate the league” if he lined up at guard, his natural position. If so, then pairing him with Jensen’s physicality and ability to finish and maintain blocks, would make for a great downhill rushing attack.

Another player the Steelers should look at is Brandon Scherff. Scherff is seen as one of the best interior offensive lineman to hit free agency this offseason. His ability to be a good zone blocker, as well as a reliable pass protector will open the offense to the stars at the skill positions.

Outside of free agency, the Steelers should continue to build their line through the NFL Draft. Guys like Evan Neal, Tyler Linderbaum, and Kenyon Green are among the top of the 2022 class for offensive linemen. At six foot eight inches, and 337 pounds, Neal already has talent that can’t be taught. His raw power and athleticism, combined with his versatility to play both left and right tackle should give Pittsburgh enough reason to trade up to select him.

Tyler Linderbaum would be another player to trade up for. He’s an elite pass protector, giving up only two sacks in the 33 games he played for the University of Iowa. Linderbaum is excellent in the run game as well with his quick footwork and overall mobility. He’s viewed as a natural leader on the field, something head coach Mike Tomlin looks for in all his players.

Kenyon Green could fall into Pittsburgh’s lap without the need of trading up. Primarily seen as a left guard, Green is a very versatile player, having lined up at four offensive line positions. He has amazing playing speed for his size and is very explosive off the line of scrimmage.

These are just a few of the options that are available to Pittsburgh. In Kevin Colbert’s final year as general manager, he can set the team up for years to come with any of these selections.

Who do you think the Steelers should get to anchor the offensive line? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

DEFINITELY O Line first, second and third round. And while you are at it get a quality O Line coach. At nearly 71, I remember when a stout Defense could keep you in any game.

Face it. The NFL rules committee has changed the NFL into a run and gun, high scoring offensive show.

D backs get penalized for sneezing at WRs.

Poor Mel Blount would be lost in the present day with theses rules.

Last edited:
DEFINITELY O Line first, second and third round. And while you are at it get a quality O Line coach. At nearly 71, I remember when a stout Defense could keep you in any game.

Face it. The NFL rules committee has changed the NFL into a run and gun, high scoring offensive show.

D backs get penalized for sneezing at WRs.

Poor Mel Blount would be lost in the present day with theses rules.
While he wouldn't be pleased, Mel Blount would not be lost with these rules. He was just that great. I respectfully disagree.

The Steelers really need to shore up the O-line before getting the QB. I've seen far too many "franchise" QBs get drafted and tank because they get their brains beat in and their confidence is shattered. Also need to open some holes so our first round pick from last year doesn't take as much of a pounding.

Mel Blount is tall, fast and tough.

My take is he would be called with too many interference plays because of his talent, not because of violating the rules. Remember when Hines Ward was called with Offensive interference, even though his blocks were legit?

BTW, Mel Blount was and still is one of my favorite D backs.

I echo your comments on O Line

Oline should have been priority last years off season

Mel Blount could have played in any era. I still think he was the best corner the NFL has ever had
I agree. When they put in what is known as the Mel Blount rule he didn't miss a beat. A lot of people thought it would diminish his effectiveness. It just challenged him to be better.

The sad thing is we will most likely ignore Center and focus on guard and tackle when we have a player that should be moved to guard from center already. Green should be playing guard and have center be his backup position. i think there is zero chance of this happening. HE would not be working out with Pouncey if they didn't plan to start him at center again. I am hoping they see something I do not (or most of us for that matter).