• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why the Steelers Should Make Signing a RB a High Priority

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been commended for their aggression this off-season and with good cause. They had a lot of gaps entering into the off-season, and they’ve filled most of them. However, they still have many needs they have to fill in some key positions. Many Steeler fans rank SS, CB, and WR among their top priorities. Given their lack of depth at wide receiver and the necessity for a starter at SS, this is understandable. Nonetheless, there is one critical need that many people overlook, and that is RB, which is more important than most people realize.

Why the Steelers need another running back​

You could be thinking that the Steelers have more serious needs, and believe me when I say that I understand. Having a capable RB2 is, however, just as important. There are numerous reasons why this would be such an important signing. The most important is being able to keep Najee Harris fresh. Harris touched the ball 381 times last season!!! Yes, 381, you read that correctly. He shouldn’t be touching the ball that many times, no matter how talented he is. Given that RBs have a shorter shelf life, the fewer touches he gets, the better. Having a capable RB2 allows Pittsburgh to keep Harris fresh, which is beneficial in late-game scenarios, and it gives the offense a viable option if Harris goes down.

Steelers running back Najee Harris vs. Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field.

Steelers running back Najee Harris vs. Baltimore Ravens in 2021 at Heinz Field.

I just want to clarify that I am a huge fan of Najee Harris and think he’s our best playmaker on the offensive side of the ball. I still feel he should be the workhorse back and get most of the carries, but we have to be practical, and 380+ touches per year is simply unrealistic. Limiting his touches allows the Steelers to get the best version of Harris throughout the entire season and it allows Harris to prolong his career in the NFL. It would be a win-win for everyone involved. Consider the Steelers’ previous successful rushing attacks. One thing they all had in common was two trustworthy running backs who could come in and play at a high level. Willie Parker and Jerome Bettis, and DeAngelo Williams and Le’Veon Bell are two great examples of why having a capable RB2 in the lineup to complement Najee Harris is critical for Pittsburgh.

Who would you like Pittsburgh to sign at RB? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

It will be a depth priority. But in the land of need it will be lower on the totem pole. They should look at WR and SS early. Then you can mix in CB,RT,DE,NT and unless value pushes one or two of the positions up. I wouldn't take RB until later. Maybe 6th. Unless again the position forces is way up higher based on value. Like clear BPA in a certain round. I didn't mention QB because I am still holding out hope the Steelers don't draft one.

The problem remains that as long as tge head coach doesn’t believe in utilizing a second rb in any meaningful manner then a backup rb is best filled by a cheap option and not a quality vet or high draft pick…

A scrap heap RB or late round flyer is all that’s called for in our 1 back, run em til the wheels fall off system.

Tomlin will wear those tires as thin as he can before their warranty, oops I mean contract is up. He’ll squeeze every carry he can out of Najee, it’s what he does.

A scrap heap RB or late round flyer is all that’s called for in our 1 back, run em til the wheels fall off system.

Tomlin will wear those tires as thin as he can before their warranty, oops I mean contract is up. He’ll squeeze every carry he can out of Najee, it’s what he does.

This, Coach Tomlin has proven this time and again from past to current. Even last year Najee carried a to big of load and I' sure this will continue for this and seasons to come.

My biggest reason for a starting 2RB is with the wear and tear Najee will experience is if injured we have a respectable back up. Not high urgencey and like some have said, they should be able to get ample sevices from a 5-6 rnd pick.

Salute the nation

I mean honestly we might have decent backs on the roster.. how would we know? Between dumbass usage and an offensive line that was just outright offensive altogether the past couple years (yeah it was bad before the overhaul) emmitt smith would look pedestrian here…
Lets not forget that the majority of this site wanted to move on from James Connor, who was instantly a pro bowler in Arizona last season… there are a bunch of mid round guys already on this roster… either one of them should be worth a damn or we need a new rb coach cause rbs, ESPECIALLY backup rbs, are still a dime a dozen