• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Wide Receiver Shuffle

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...li-rogers-in-sammie-coates-markus-wheaton-out

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' high-powered offense faces another test this week.

The receiving corps might be down to three healthy players from the 53-man roster, making practice squad receiver Cobi Hamilton an eligible call-up for Sunday's game at Miami.

Sammie Coates (hand laceration) and Markus Wheaton (shoulder) have missed back-to-back practices, and though they still have time to rebound, the chances aren't good for players who miss most of a practice week. When coach Mike Tomlin says "practice participation will be our guide," he means it. Don't practice, don't play.

Coates, who has five straight games with at least one catch of 40-plus yards, will push to participate in Friday's practice, so let's see what he does.

Hamilton acknowledged in the locker room after Thursday's practice that he took a few first-team reps.

Hamilton, a sixth-round pick in 2013, gives the Steelers another outside weapon alongside Antonio Brown and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Expect the Steelers' passing game to get creative with running backs and tight ends. Le'Veon Bell will see his usual workload, and look for Jesse James and Xavier Grimble to move along the formation for open looks.

Rogers' return is important, because the Steelers believe he can help loosen up that safety that's been attached to Brown's hip the last few weeks.

Rogers missed the last two weeks with a turf toe.

Wheaton has turned in to quite the china doll this season...

Hamilton, a sixth-round pick in 2013, gives the Steelers another outside weapon

a interesting choice of words...

Rogers,Brown,Bell, and go three TE's.....

I don't think Wheaton has recovered yet. It's the same shoulder causing problems I believe.

And Cobi Hamilton has the potential to be a solid WR. He's huge and fast. Showed some skill in the preseason. Some in the media believed he was going to make the 53. And he didn't even get onto camp till the second week.

It'll be the AB, Coates, Eli Rogers & Jesse James show down in Miami.

Add Martavis Bryant to this group next year and business will be boomin'. Even without Bryant, there's a lot to like. Wheaton seems like the odd man out, especially with Ladarius Green lurking. Rock 'n roll.

Last edited:
It'll be the AB, Coates, Eli Rogers & Jesse James show down in Miami.

Add Martavis Bryant to this group next year and business will be boomin'. Even without Bryant, there's a lot to like. Wheaton seems like the odd man out, especially with Ladarius Green lurking. Rock 'n roll.

When Martavis comes back. This offense will be beast mode td zone squad. Coates is seriously stepping up though

if coates finished last game with that cut, seems like he could play a week later.

I think Coates will be there Sunday. Bryant on the other hand, won't be. Eli and Ayers need some "bangin" room.

Salute the nation.

a interesting choice of words...

Rogers,Brown,Bell, and go three TE's.....

Eli, DHB, and AB will play. Coates might play. Grimble and Jessie are always options.

Personally I go into this game with a 2 RB set and pound the fish. They are dead last in rushing D allowing 151yds/game.

Control the clock and pound it out, we don't need receivers this week.

3 TE's, 2 FB's - run it up the gut 60 times.

Yinzer football!

I'm guessing it's the same shoulder keeping him from practicing this week that kept him out of the preseason and start of the regular season. If so, it would not surprise me to see him end up on IR. I just don't have a good feeling about Wheaton this year even though he is in a contract year.

Wheaton is a C grade receiver, without Ben and AB taking the heat off him more of a D.

He'd be a good 4-5 WR on a lot of squads, but with what we have another contract should not be in the cards for him unless he wants to play for peanuts.

Guy has been hurt all season. Clearly he's not close to 100%. Shame we don't have Bryant out there but we will make due. Will probably see more 2 TE sets with Grimble and James. Also can't discount Bell playing some WR if needed.

man. when you step back and think about it, we really are the most loaded team in the league, as far as offense is concerned.

A Hematoma ends a season and a cut hand a week ago keeps a guy out of a game. Mike Ditka is rolling over in his grave. The guy ain't even ****** dead yet.