• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Yes, the Steelers Should Call 49ers About Deebo

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This NFL offseason just keeps getting better. Per Jeff Darlington of ESPN, All-Pro standout player for the San Francisco 49ers, Deebo Samuel, has requested a trade, and the Pittsburgh Steelers should be calling the 49ers right away to see if they can make a deal to acquire him.

Breaking News: I just spoke to wide receiver Deebo Samuel — and he told me that he has asked the 49ers to trade him.

He did not want to discuss specific reasons behind his request, but he has indeed let the 49ers know his desire to leave the organization. More to come.

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) April 20, 2022

Currently 26-years-old, Samuel has come a long way since being selected with the 36th overall pick in the 2019 draft. The 49ers used him in a utility-style role this past season, lining up as a wide receiver and running back in multiple formations en route to recording a career-high in both receiving yards (1,405) and rushing (365) yards. Per ESPN’s Ed Werder, Samuel accounted for 28% of the 49ers scrimmage yards last season, good for the fourth-most in the NFL.

From @ESPNStatsInfo: WR Deebo Samuel accounted for 28% of his the 49ers scrimmage yards in 2021, the 4th-highest rate in the NFL after Jonathan Taylor (37%), Najee Harris (31%) and Cooper Kupp (31%).

— Ed Werder (@WerderEdESPN) April 20, 2022

matt-canada-080821-getty-ftr_14v0v5yn3lfxd1kabu8jlvabes-300x169.jpg

Pictured: Matt Canada during training camp

With the Steelers losing Juju Smith-Schuster and James Washington this offseason, Samuel can be an immediate plug-and-play type of player, and even an upgrade to what Smith-Schuster brought to the table. Since the news came out of Samuel requesting a trade, there are new reports that he wants to be utilized as a “true” wide receiver and not a running back/wide receiver hybrid, which could mean Samuel may be looking for something north of $20 million per year in a new contract, based on the recent NFL wide receiver market. Nonetheless, his presence on the field, regardless of where he is, makes him dangerous to opposing defenses.

If the Steelers were to make Samuel a predominant wide receiver, Matt Canada, offensive coordinator, can design some packages for him to mesh nicely with his creative and fast-paced schemes and to potentially provide a small one-two punch with Najee Harris.

What would a trade package to the Steelers look like?
The 49ers, given they satisfy Samuel’s trade request, won’t be looking to deal him for cheap. The good news is the Steelers have enough cash to absorb the final year on his rookie contract, which is close to $4 million. The bad news? It would cost something close to a “Kings Ransom” to acquire him, per Josina Anderson. The Steelers would likely have to unload multiple picks and some mid-level talent to be in the discussion.

The low-hanging fruit scenario would be a package deal with Mason Rudolph that includes a couple of first-round picks, a mid-round pick, and a late-round pick. The 49ers, who are still reportedly looking to part ways with Jimmy Garoppolo, can use Rudolph to fill the backup role while moving forward with Trey Lance at the helm. Keep in mind that this scenario also means Mitch Trubisky would be the only active quarterback on the Steelers’ roster so they would need to look later in the draft or dip into the remaining free agents left.

There’s also a possibility to avoid parting ways with any players and offering picks exclusively. These scenarios, albeit risky, can provide immediate dividends as the Steelers would follow the “win now” model that other teams in the NFL are following.

Here is a potential scenario with a trade involving Rudolph.

Steelers trade:
Mason Rudolph
2022 First Round Pick
2023 First Round Pick
2022 Third Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

49ers trade:
Deebo Samuel
2022 Second Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

Here is a potential scenario with a trade involving picks only.

Steelers trade:
2022 First Round Pick
2023 First Round Pick
2024 First Round Pick
2023 Sixth Round Pick

49ers trade:
Deebo Samuel
2022 Second Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

If a trade to the Steelers actually happens, they would need to begin contract negotiations immediately, and pay him accordingly. The Steelers have nearly $58 million in cap space in 2023, according to spotrac.com, which offers plenty of wiggle room to get something done. Per NFL.com’s Kevin Patra, the Steelers are one of the likely landing spots for Samuel.

Would you like the Steelers to trade for Samuel? What would your trade package look like? Let us know in the comments, below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

This NFL offseason just keeps getting better. Per Jeff Darlington of ESPN, All-Pro standout player for the San Francisco 49ers, Deebo Samuel, has requested a trade, and the Pittsburgh Steelers should be calling the 49ers right away to see if they can make a deal to acquire him.

Currently 26-years-old, Samuel has come a long way since being selected with the 36th overall pick in the 2019 draft. The 49ers used him in a utility-style role this past season, lining up as a wide receiver and running back in multiple formations en route to recording a career-high in both receiving yards (1,405) and rushing (365) yards. Per ESPN’s Ed Werder, Samuel accounted for 28% of the 49ers scrimmage yards last season, good for the fourth-most in the NFL.

matt-canada-080821-getty-ftr_14v0v5yn3lfxd1kabu8jlvabes-300x169.jpg

Pictured: Matt Canada during training camp

With the Steelers losing Juju Smith-Schuster and James Washington this offseason, Samuel can be an immediate plug-and-play type of player, and even an upgrade to what Smith-Schuster brought to the table. Since the news came out of Samuel requesting a trade, there are new reports that he wants to be utilized as a “true” wide receiver and not a running back/wide receiver hybrid, which could mean Samuel may be looking for something north of $20 million per year in a new contract, based on the recent NFL wide receiver market. Nonetheless, his presence on the field, regardless of where he is, makes him dangerous to opposing defenses.

If the Steelers were to make Samuel a predominant wide receiver, Matt Canada, offensive coordinator, can design some packages for him to mesh nicely with his creative and fast-paced schemes and to potentially provide a small one-two punch with Najee Harris.

What would a trade package to the Steelers look like?
The 49ers, given they satisfy Samuel’s trade request, won’t be looking to deal him for cheap. The good news is the Steelers have enough cash to absorb the final year on his rookie contract, which is close to $4 million. The bad news? It would cost something close to a “Kings Ransom” to acquire him, per Josina Anderson. The Steelers would likely have to unload multiple picks and some mid-level talent to be in the discussion.

The low-hanging fruit scenario would be a package deal with Mason Rudolph that includes a couple of first-round picks, a mid-round pick, and a late-round pick. The 49ers, who are still reportedly looking to part ways with Jimmy Garoppolo, can use Rudolph to fill the backup role while moving forward with Trey Lance at the helm. Keep in mind that this scenario also means Mitch Trubisky would be the only active quarterback on the Steelers’ roster so they would need to look later in the draft or dip into the remaining free agents left.

There’s also a possibility to avoid parting ways with any players and offering picks exclusively. These scenarios, albeit risky, can provide immediate dividends as the Steelers would follow the “win now” model that other teams in the NFL are following.

Here is a potential scenario with a trade involving Rudolph.

Steelers trade:
Mason Rudolph
2022 First Round Pick
2023 First Round Pick
2022 Third Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

49ers trade:
Deebo Samuel
2022 Second Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

Here is a potential scenario with a trade involving picks only.

Steelers trade:
2022 First Round Pick
2023 First Round Pick
2024 First Round Pick
2023 Sixth Round Pick

49ers trade:
Deebo Samuel
2022 Second Round Pick
2023 Fourth Round Pick

If a trade to the Steelers actually happens, they would need to begin contract negotiations immediately, and pay him accordingly. The Steelers have nearly $58 million in cap space in 2023, according to spotrac.com, which offers plenty of wiggle room to get something done. Per NFL.com’s Kevin Patra, the Steelers are one of the likely landing spots for Samuel.

Would you like the Steelers to trade for Samuel? What would your trade package look like? Let us know in the comments, below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
Pass.

Jeff Darlington also just recently said that if the Browns and Baker Mayfield were to part, the Steelers would snatch him up in a second.

Edit: derp, didn't see the other thread 'til right now.

Before Mike McDaniel schemed the offense to feature Deebo last season, his previous high was 802 yards receiving. My feeling is Deebo knows last season's stats were due to McDaniel and now he's gone. He wants to cash in.

Deebo's going to cost way too many draft picks and too much salary. No thanks.

Why in the absolute **** would we trade any first round picks for a wr? We are better off just spending that first rounder on a wr than trading for an expensive bobble… draft, develop, and reap the benefits… and at any position wr is next to kicker in ones we shouldn’t be trading top picks for

Why in the absolute **** would we trade any first round picks for a wr? We are better off just spending that first rounder on a wr than trading for an expensive bobble… draft, develop, and reap the benefits… and at any position wr is next to kicker in ones we shouldn’t be trading top picks for
You are right, my offer is off the table.

I'll see myself to the pit of misery.

Four or five first rounders I think might do it. Then throw in a 7 year deal at $30 million per.....just imagine. In a few years this salary will be a bargain....a steal. Get it done Tolbert.

You are right, my offer is off the table.

I'll see myself to the pit of misery.

Go to the Light Litos, grab onto the rope and I'll pull you out.

I wouldn't give two shitss for Debo in that I have better plans for that insane draft capital involved.

He would set us back farther than moving up for a shittyyy QB this draft & then add in the insane $$$coin$$$ as well.

I take my chances on the draft

Salute the nation

Before Mike McDaniel schemed the offense to feature Deebo last season, his previous high was 802 yards receiving. My feeling is Deebo knows last season's stats were due to McDaniel and now he's gone. He wants to cash in.

Deebo's going to cost way too many draft picks and too much salary. No thanks.

I still think the guy is going to be a special player, but that's also from watching bits of him last season and then some highlights recently, and that's from a layman fan.

Just way too much to give up for a guy with one good season (still didn't crack double digit TDs) on the books.

No f'ing way I give up that kind of draft capital for any WR. Sorry. I'm just not seeing the worth for us. It's a team game and this team has a lot of needs. We need our draft picks right now.

I would rather have kept juju