• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

$15/hr minimum wage

I have internet at home, I just don't go on it much at home, because I'm more of an outdoors person.

I have been paying the same for chicken for the last 20 years. 1.99 per lb for boneless chicken breasts and .99 per pound for legs and thighs.
Actually a lot of Aldi's food is healthier. I'm a label reader and a lot of what I buy their is produce. lb bags of baby carrots .49 cents when on sale.

Conservatives should support a living wage, because then government spending could come down. If workers made 15 per hour, they wouldn't qualify
for food stamps or other government programs. Who should support the livelihood of employees, the employer or government?

Wage increases don't equal inflation. Wage increases can lead to increased productivity and no inflation or can lead to increased revenue for businesses and no inflation.
A low income worker with more money in his pocket will spend the money, increasing the revenue of places where low income folks shop, like Walmart and fast food restaurants.

Which scenario do you prefer?
Low minimum wage + food stamps + other government subsidies = livelihood or Living wage + pay for your own food + no government subsidies = livelihood.

Either works supports families or taxpayers chip in to subsidize. Which do you prefer?

I have internet at home, I just don't go on it much at home, because I'm more of an outdoors person.

I have been paying the same for chicken for the last 20 years. 1.99 per lb for boneless chicken breasts and .99 per pound for legs and thighs.
Actually a lot of Aldi's food is healthier. I'm a label reader and a lot of what I buy their is produce. lb bags of baby carrots .49 cents when on sale.

Conservatives should support a living wage, because then government spending could come down. If workers made 15 per hour, they wouldn't qualify
for food stamps or other government programs. Who should support the livelihood of employees, the employer or government?

Wage increases don't equal inflation. Wage increases can lead to increased productivity and no inflation or can lead to increased revenue for businesses and no inflation.
A low income worker with more money in his pocket will spend the money, increasing the revenue of places where low income folks shop, like Walmart and fast food restaurants.

Low minimum wage + food stamps + other government subsidies = livelihood or Living wage + pay for your own food + no government subsidies = livelihood.

Either works supports families or taxpayers chip in to subsidize. Which do you prefer?

Wow...just wow... The minimum wage increasing is going to increase the overhead for every single business that has minimum wage workers or buys supplies off of companies that utilize minimum wage workers. Do you think that the businesses are going to raise the price of their products or are they just going to eat the difference out of their profits?

If you are an unskilled worker and are getting the minimum wage and struggling, then do something to make yourself a skilled worker. Then you will deserve more than the minimum wage instead of trying to get an artificial raise of your paycheck through a minimum raise hike that will end up getting you close to the same amount of goods as you could have originally bought...

will that one worker being paid $15/hr have higher taxes that result in his/her paying into the system to support more people displaced from the working environment due to this?

First off you are either a horrible liar or your memory is shot from using drugs. Chicken was not 1.99 per lb 20 years ago. You can actually use the interwebs to find this **** out for yourself:

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=chicken

Hell you can even check oil prices on there. They are up as well.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. IF you increase the wages to a "livelihood wage" then all the prices will go up to adjust. You'll have more unemployed and more people long term unemployed. Then you'll have liberals like yourself wanting MORE welfare for the people that can't live on "X" amount of dollars. Do you really have no idea what the poverty level would be if you increased wages? You can't be this ******* stupid? Can you?

Your main problem is that you don't understand simple economics. You think government can regulate it's way to a good economy. It can't.

http://usda01.library.cornell.edu/usda/nass/PoulProdVa//1990s/1995/PoulProdVa-05-02-1995.txt

The value of sales from chickens (excluding broilers) in 1994 was
$77.4 million, down 20 percent from the $96.4 million a year ago. Prices
averaged 7.6 cents per pound, compared with 10.0 cents in 1993. The number of
chickens sold in 1994 totaled 201 million, up 2 percent from the total sold
during the previous year.

interesting.

izzat how u begot so rich?

Here's a way libtards might comprehend it:

If you have to pay the QuickieMart guy $15/hour, your cost to make purple drank just went up. Dig it?

I wouldn't personally raise it to $15. If I were the decider, I'd raise it to $9 and spend 50 billion more per year on infrastructure
projects while interest rates are low.

You'd have to go industry by industry to measure wage increase effects, but wage increases do not guarantee price increases.
Wage increases can bring benefits to an employer: lower turnover, productivity gains, etc...

I own a restaurant and nobody makes less than $10 per hour. Even tip workers we will bonus up if tip income is low. It usually isn't.

Nobody really answered my question. Would you rather employers support their employees or have the government subsidize?

so as a small business owner, you provide health care to your employees, correct?

I wouldn't personally raise it to $15. If I were the decider, I'd raise it to $9 and spend 50 billion more per year on infrastructure

You'd have to go industry by industry to measure wage increase effects, but wage increases do not guarantee price increases.
Wage increases can bring benefits to an employer: lower turnover, productivity gains, etc...

I own a restaurant and nobody makes less than $10 per hour. Even tip workers we will bonus up if tip income is low. It usually isn't.

Nobody really answered my question. Would you rather employers support their employees or have the government subsidize?

If the government was not subsidizing sloth and failure already there would be no need to raise the minimum wage and we would not be having this discussion.

But you still have no idea what you are talking about. You are paying more than $10 an hour but you are competing against other restaurants, fast food companies ets.. that are paying $7.25 an hour. So an individual raising their individual salaries of their employees does nothing to prices. BUT if you raise EVERYONE'S wages in all companies then food prices by necessity must rise. It's basic economics. It moves not only minimum wage up but moves the entire pay structure up. Lot of company's are on slim margins and can't handle that pressure.

But that's your problem. You look at only your life and not what is happening in the entire economy. On top of that, you're so myopic that you can't even remember prices of years ago in your own life. You assume they are the same when in reality they are not.

Would you rather employers support their employees or have the government subsidize?

It's a bogus question, for a variety of reasons.
Only 2.9% of all workers earn minimum wage.
67% of them work part-time
79% of them are age 25 or younger, many of them students
Only 23% of them live in households below the poverty line
65% of them live in households that are at 150% or more above the poverty line

67% of those below the poverty line did not make minimum wage, or any wage, because they didn't work at all. Another 25% worked some, but not full time or year round.

So when you say government is picking up the tab, that's not really true. It's a very tiny percentage of people who are actually working full time and trying to support a family on minimum wage.

(yes, it's heritage, the data is from the US Census bureau)

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...um-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...-and-retail-prices-for-chicken-beef-and-pork/

I buy my chicken retail and not wholesale. In 1996 they have the price of broilers at 97 cents per pound. I buy my broilers
today at 99 cents per pound. They have the price at $1.33, but I buy at .99. They are that price everyday at Wegmans
and the Perdues when on sale sell at the at price. I have a freezer, so I have no problem waiting for my price.

I don't eat beef or pork. From this chart those who do could have a gripe about that inflation. The drought in Texas is driving
cattle farmers out of business. If you believed in climate change you could blame that. Since you don't, I guess you'll have to blame God.

http://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...-and-retail-prices-for-chicken-beef-and-pork/

I buy my chicken retail and not wholesale. In 1996 they have the price of broilers at 97 cents per pound. I buy my broilers
today at 99 cents per pound. They have the price at $1.33, but I buy at .99. They are that price everyday at Wegmans
and the Perdues when on sale sell at the at price. I have a freezer, so I have no problem waiting for my price.

I don't eat beef or pork. From this chart those who do could have a gripe about that inflation. The drought in Texas is driving
cattle farmers out of business. If you believed in climate change you could blame that. Since you don't, I guess you'll have to blame God.

You remember what you paid for chicken in 1996? You must be an enormous tight-***.

Why 9? How did you arrive at that figure?

9 (or 15) dollars an hour guaranteed by the gubmint no matter where you work. Seems to me that turnover would be unaffected or actually rise. Why would anyone be more loyal to employer X if employer Y pays the same? And if that wage is guaranteed what is the incentive to be more productive? If the answer to that is in order to advance one's self then that incentive is (or should be) already in place.

Good for you. If your business is successful enough that you can afford to pay more than whatever the federal mandate is and still make enough profit to keep you happy then you are very fortunate. I'd like to think I would do likewise as a business owner. Because the more you can afford to pay the higher quality your staff will be and that will reduce churn leading to experienced, loyal employees who will result in further growth of your business, almost like successful capitalism or something.

Now consider this....you pay approximately 2.75 per hour over minimum now. At a 9 minimum wage it follows that you would ensure that no one in your employ would be paid less than about 13. How will you off set that additional expense? Keep in mind that it is entirely logical to predict that everything you buy in your personal life will be approximately 35% more expensive.

I'd rather employees support themselves. Minimum wage jobs were never supposed to be jobs upon which one depended to raise a family. They are entry level positions that are either a stepping stone to a better job, a second income or a part time means of earning spending money for kids and students.

So simple......double everyone's wages and the result will be less employment opportunities, less employees, less employers and more government dependence.

Conservatives should support a living wage, because then government spending could come down. If workers made 15 per hour, they wouldn't qualify for food stamps or other government programs. Who should support the livelihood of employees, the employer or government?

I will ask you the same question I have asked every person who proposes a minimum wage of $32,000 per year for a full-time job:

Why not make minimum wage $100 per hour? Or how about $200 per hour? Why stop there?

Answer that question and you will see the negative outcome to an artificial, government-mandated wage.

Minimum wage raises just force inflation, anyone with a brain can see that. The better way to deal with the issues are to have some sort of profit sharing plan that moves a percentage of profits back to employees, that way just raising prices doesn't totally counteract the pay increase and more importantly without the incentive to raise prices, people's savings aren't depreciated by the inflation that follows.the more pressing issue is that this country has chased all the good paying labor jobs away. Mcdonalds shouldn't be a career for people who want to work... there should be better options in this country, even for unskilled persons.

Do you even read the links you post? On that exact link it says that WHOLESALE price in 1996 was 61.2 in 2012 it was 93.5. Hell you can't even lie right. Also Texas has droughts all the time (Dust bowl anyone?) . You know as much about climate change as you do about economics... ZERO

Do you even read the links you post? On that exact link it says that WHOLESALE price in 1996 was 61.2 in 2012 it was 93.5. Hell you can't even lie right. Also Texas has droughts all the time (Dust bowl anyone?) . You know as much about climate change as you do about economics... ZERO

and cars. don't forget about that sweet ride he has.

maxresdefault.jpg

Government requirements for ethanol have NOTHING to do with food prices, either. You can't forget that. Everything BUT government is to blame.

Raise it to $15, Yay. Those evil business people will just have to pay that difference out of their stash that they all have. Every business from Microsoft to a taco truck is just rolling in cash. They got that money not by hard work, but by exploiting people so this is only fair.

Government requirements for ethanol have NOTHING to do with food prices, either. You can't forget that. Everything BUT government is to blame.

Hell don't you know that food prices are the same as they were in 1960 because 21steelers21 started eating flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas and rides his bike to work?

Gasoline is still the same price as it was thirty years ago also. I pull up to the pump and tell the attendant I want $20 bucks worth. So, it's always 20 bucks whenever I get gas.

Gasoline is still the same price as it was thirty years ago also. I pull up to the pump and tell the attendant I want $20 bucks worth. So, it's always 20 bucks whenever I get gas.

tumblr_m6963vFN8k1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

People who cannot see Booted's point are simply economic retards.