• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

1st Team Defensive Blunder or Productive Haskins-led Offense in Sunday’s Private Practice?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Due to a scheduled day off on Monday, August 16th, the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff held a private practice on Sunday afternoon, closed off to anyone involved in NFL media or any fans trying to get a look at the team’s adjustments prior to the beginning of the regular season. Head Coach Mike Tomlin was quoted after Thursday night’s game saying that he did not see “enough” from certain players against the Philadelphia Eagles that would garner a response of how the depth chart is going to look. One of those players named was Dwayne Haskins Jr.

I wouldn’t say a lack of production would be the reason Tomlin decided to make that statement. On Thursday evening, Haskins actually gave all of SteelerNation a small glimpse of hope of what the Steelers future plan at the quarterback position could be, post Ben Roethlisberger. In an open competition for the backup quarterback position with 3-year Steelers vet Mason Rudolph, Haskins did his part in hopes of creating some separation between he and Rudolph by throwing for 161 yards on 16 completions on 22 attempts. While behind center, Haskins drove the Steelers offense down the field and led them on two separate touchdown drives, including a touchdown thrown by Haskins himself to rookie wideout, Anthony Johnson.

While Rudolph has not been performing badly, it seems like there is more confidence in Haskins potential future with this team. It was reported that after Haskins’ performance Thursday night, not many people around the organization were surprised with his success, making it seem like it is something this team expects out of him every time he hits the field. Haskins’ arm talent has never been in question and was one full display against the Eagles. What has always been in question was his ability to lead a team and have a “football first” mentality. Now, with the right support staff, he is in a perfect situation to learn from a future Hall of Fame quarterback in hopes of being his successor one day, and Haskins is surely doing what he can to open people’s eyes.

Despite not having any fans in the stands during Sunday’s practice, Coach Tomlin took to the mic and answered some questions fired his way from some team reporters for a Q&A period. Coach Tomlin was asked what gave Haskins the chance to play with the first team in the two-minute drill and if he liked what he saw. Tomlin responded.

“More than anything, the lesson to be learned there… The defense had an interception in its hands and didn’t finish the play. And you just can’t give signal-callers another shot at you. That was the lesson from that period. Obviously, he went on and produced a scoring drive, but when the defense gets their hands on the ball, we’ve got to close out. We’ve got to close it out. That’s the lesson to be learned from that segment of work today.”

Just like a typical Tomlin press conference, not much light was shed on the situation. No matter what the situation, the Steelers always keep their opinions in-house, not wanting their thoughts or ideas to get out to the public in any sort of way. Because of this, we have to take the small amount of dialogue we get and run with it, which is exactly what I am going to do. It seems like the coaching staff is being hard on Haskins and to be honest, I believe it is intentional. If anyone can get the best out of a player, it is Mike Tomlin. He is known throughout the league for being the type of coach a player wants to play for, and that in itself can go a long way, especially with a player like Haskins. It looks like Tomlin is going to go with the “tough love” approach with Haskins. All of SteelerNation can only hope we finally get to see his full first round pick potential come out while he is in the black and gold.

You can view the full video HERE : https://www.steelers.com/news/practice-report-august-15

Do you think Haskins will win the back-up quarterback battle? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Mountain out of a mole hill.

I think many want Haskins to win the job because they know Rudolf isn't the answer. I think Haskins' ability is premature at this point as he needs some seasoning. Face it,... he is green and needs the emotional aspect to really sit in..

Rudolf's current ability is better than Haskins current ability. That may change but not before the season begins and I see Rudolf being #2 into the seqson.

Salute the nation

Mountain out of a mole hill.

I think many want Haskins to win the job because they know Rudolf isn't the answer. I think Haskins' ability is premature at this point as he needs some seasoning. Face it,... he is green and needs the emotional aspect to really sit in..

Rudolf's current ability is better than Haskins current ability. That may change but not before the season begins and I see Rudolf being #2 into the seqson.

Salute the nation
this is how i see it too…

“More than anything, the lesson to be learned there… The defense had an interception in its hands and didn’t finish the play. And you just can’t give signal-callers another shot at you. That was the lesson from that period. Obviously, he went on and produced a scoring drive, but when the defense gets their hands on the ball, we’ve got to close out. We’ve got to close it out. That’s the lesson to be learned from that segment of work today.”
Oh nooooo!!!! The D's contracted the virus!!!!

Ike-Tayloritis, that is....
;)

I think Tomlin is handling Haskins perfectly. He's letting him know that if he wants respect in Pittsburgh, he's going to have to go above and beyond and earn it. He's not showering him with praise that might give Haskins a big head and lead to him thinking he can take his foot off the gas a little. Rudolph is most likely QB2 this year. But, if Ben retires, I think there's going to be a battle between Rudolph and Haskins next year. And if they keep making Haskins actually earn their respect by making him show improvement in performance, maturity and professionalism, it can only help him AND the team.

Sounds like somebody local has taken the national media red-pill and really really wants the gaslight Haskins to me.

Maybe he'll be alright, maybe he'll suck. What I do know... Neither he nor Rudolph will be anything close to Roethlisberger. I'm just going to enjoy the season and whatever I have left of Ben's career and I'll deal with whatever mediocre QB they have in the future... in the future.

I think Tomlin is handling Haskins perfectly. He's letting him know that if he wants respect in Pittsburgh, he's going to have to go above and beyond and earn it. He's not showering him with praise that might give Haskins a big head and lead to him thinking he can take his foot off the gas a little. Rudolph is most likely QB2 this year. But, if Ben retires, I think there's going to be a battle between Rudolph and Haskins next year. And if they keep making Haskins actually earn their respect by making him show improvement in performance, maturity and professionalism, it can only help him AND the team.

GREAT POST !!!!

Salute the nation

Yes. Its very important to note that Haskins looked great in early practices and preseason games with Washington and the media showered him with praise and excused every mistake he made there… he was lazy and didn’t really earn anything because the owner loved him… two coaching staffs weren’t thrilled with him… it takes a lot to get cut as tge 15 overall and owners pet pick in year 2

I think he has to earn anything he gets here… because if they just let him slide because he has a good arm he is going to be the same dipshit he was down there….
I think it helps that Tomlin and the Steelers already told them their long term plans if he progresses well…

After 2 preseason games, the former 1st round pick is acting like he wants to be a football player and showing positive flashes. The needle is pointing up, which is good. I am unsure about drawing any other conclusions, because there has been no real adversity for the new guy to overcome yet. All news that is not bad news on Haskins is a positive indicator of his future value. In the meantime, if he gets Rudolph less comfortable as QB2, how is that anything but good?

I'm amazed at the job Coach Tomlin has been doing all around this season. He is treating Haskins with "MAN" gloves and NOT letting the TJ WATT contract take over anything. His input has to be considered in some of the GMers decisions and he (Colbert) is haveing an unbeleivable year at GMering. This the FRONT END of COACHING....................................................................................

Can Coach Tomlin step it up and continue on the BACK END ?

Can he coach up the players who need it but more importantly can he have sufficient game plans and game management(s). Time will tell and if he can elevate out notorious late season(s) collapse may be delayed past the Super Bowl.

Salute the nation

I'm amazed at the job Coach Tomlin has been doing all around this season. He is treating Haskins with "MAN" gloves and NOT letting the TJ WATT contract take over anything. His input has to be considered in some of the GMers decisions and he (Colbert) is haveing an unbeleivable year at GMering. This the FRONT END of COACHING....................................................................................

Can Coach Tomlin step it up and continue on the BACK END ?

Can he coach up the players who need it but more importantly can he have sufficient game plans and game management(s). Time will tell and if he can elevate out notorious late season(s) collapse may be delayed past the Super Bowl.

Salute the nation
Agreed DIC...

I believe the "thumb" has been applied to Coach T...

The fact that we are arguing who is better between Haskins and Rudolph with 2 more games left to go in the preseason, means that picking up Haskins was a GREAT signing!

He's pushing for more snaps with the success he's had. Washington was a dumpster fire. It's the same reason why the Browns have had so many countless QBs since they came back into the league. Their front office is a ****** mess. That much instability is tough for any talented QB to overcome. And the Browns were always taking top tier guys with their picks.

If you don't think a 50TD throwing QB in college doesn't have talent, when there were only 7 of them in FBS history, I'd say that is biased thinking. Haskins has talent, and I hope we're the team that gets the most out of that talent!