• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

"Mike Tomlin failed to learn his own lesson"

Dad would ask me to "get the clothes out of the worshing machine." I told him, "only if I can have a pop."
This is GOLD, Jerry!
Post of 2024!
Thank you, ST.
I am crying.

Can someone please tell me why the Steelers do not deploy the weapon that wears #80, Big George Worshington?! What a ******* nightmare for ILB and safeties. The Steelers treat him like a fat ******* lineman to cover for the ****** ******* line. I'm sending George down the seem right at the single high safety and I tell him to beat the **** out of that safety. beat him up. make his life miserable. But no, The Steelers just sit with their collective thumbs up their arses.

Makes me sick.
Steelers play football like their stuck in the past. They fail to adapt to the current trend of the league.

I’m going to guess Tomlin is just too stubborn to change his ways and the Steelers as an organization pride themselves too much on tradition/unwillingness to change. They’re getting left behind

Can someone please tell me why the Steelers do not deploy the weapon that wears #80, Big George Worshington?! What a ******* nightmare for ILB and safeties. The Steelers treat him like a fat ******* lineman to cover for the ****** ******* line. I'm sending George down the seem right at the single high safety and I tell him to beat the **** out of that safety. beat him up. make his life miserable. But no, The Steelers just sit with their collective thumbs up their arses.
I warned those fans who as soon as we drafted #80 that there was a reason he didn't put up big receiving #s while at GA: he must not have been very good at catching. So many fans ranted and raved about big 80's size and so on and what a terror he was gonna be to defend. I countered that he must have some flaws as he hadn't been used that much as a receiver at GA. And then, come to find out, there was a reason; the guy just isn't very coordinated, period. The few times they tried to use him as a receiver he looked like he was fighting with the ball. Washington will NEVER be a big time receiving TE. He just doesn't have the hand-to-eye coordination, it's doesn't matter how big he is.

I don't think Washington is much of a threat in the passing game. Timed better than he actually runs-he lumbers-and I don't believe he's a strong route runner. He was drafted to block for the power run game Khan and Weidl wanted from this team.
Didn't Washington also get called for 2 false starts. He has a lot of work to do before he's a big part of the offense.

Although the original post is true the reason we lost was on the defense. Buffalo scored whenever they needed to and could have scored more if necessary. Rarely was the Buffalo offense under duress.

I warned those fans who as soon as we drafted #80 that there was a reason he didn't put up big receiving #s while at GA: he must not have been very good at catching. So many fans ranted and raved about big 80's size and so on and what a terror he was gonna be to defend. I countered that he must have some flaws as he hadn't been used that much as a receiver at GA. And then, come to find out, there was a reason; the guy just isn't very coordinated, period. The few times they tried to use him as a receiver he looked like he was fighting with the ball. Washington will NEVER be a big time receiving TE. He just doesn't have the hand-to-eye coordination, it's doesn't matter how big he is.
That just isn't true. He was over shadowed by Blake Bowers who is the best TE prospect coming out of college since Vernon Davis. I'm not saying that Washington is the second coming of Heath Miller, but what I saw with my own eyes at camp against the Steeler's 1's, He is a weapon and he is being ignored as such by this inept coaching staff. He ran a 4.65 at the combine, so he isn't some lumbering oaf. Fast forward to 2:13 of this video and tell me again how Darnell doesn't have eye hand coordination?

That just isn't true. He was over shadowed by Blake Bowers who is the best TE prospect coming out of college since Vernon Davis. I'm not saying that Washington is the second coming of Heath Miller, but what I saw with my own eyes at camp against the Steeler's 1's, He is a weapon and he is being ignored as such by this inept coaching staff. He ran a 4.65 at the combine, so he isn't some lumbering oaf. Fast forward to 2:13 of this video and tell me again how Darnell doesn't have eye hand coordination?
Catching in shorts with no one covering you is nice and all, but I like seeing production in a little thing called "in pads in coverage when it matters." The few plays they tossed him passes in 2023 he fought with the ball, I'm talking DURING a game. And, yes, you can still run fast and not have "eye-to-hand coordination." It's possible that both things are true. Running fast does not mean you have eye-to-hand coordination. They are not the same things. IF the guy was so SUPER PHeNOMENAL, why didn't he get more passes thrown his way? Because the team had so many super productive targets all over the field? Oh, no, that's right, they didn't.

Catching in shorts with no one covering you is nice and all, but I like seeing production in a little thing called "in pads in coverage when it matters." The few plays they tossed him passes in 2023 he fought with the ball, I'm talking DURING a game. And, yes, you can still run fast and not have "eye-to-hand coordination." It's possible that both things are true. Running fast does not mean you have eye-to-hand coordination. They are not the same things. IF the guy was so SUPER PHeNOMENAL, why didn't he get more passes thrown his way? Because the team had so many super productive targets all over the field? Oh, no, that's right, they didn't.
inept coaching.

"Why did they run on first down 100% of the time in the Buffalo game? - Inept coaching
"why did they avoid the middle of the field? - inept coaching
"Why were Dionte and George the only pass targets? - inept coaching

I could go on for days, all discussed here at length

BTW, I never said running fast had anything to do with Hand eye coordination. Not sure where you got that from. But pads or not, that was a hell of a catch and proves he has eye hand coordination. regardless of him "fighting the ball", perhaps you meant bobbling it a bit? who knows why he may have done that...regardless, he needs used more.

Remember Cowher didn’t win a SB until he got out of his own way and got more aggressive on offense.

Take a look at how Washington performed at the combine. To me, clearly he has above average hand-eye coordination to make plays on some of the balls he caught, including those with one of his hands. Not in pads, but he made plenty of those at Georgia.

Remember Cowher didn’t win a SB until he got out of his own way and got more aggressive on offense.
Which actually isn't true, the 94 AFCCG against SD, we didn't trail in that game until mid way through the 4th and Neil attempted 52 passes that day.
1997 AFCCG we were up 10-7 and running the ball well, in Denver territory, could've kept giving Jerome the ball and kicked a FG, but we ran a play fake and Kordell threw into double coverage in the endzone for an INT.
2001 we threw the ball 25 times to 9 runs in the first half.

I disagree. I saw him at camp versus our one's and he was making some nice catches. Look, he isn't the fastest tight end, I get you're point, but he has a huge catch radius. Throw it high and let the big man go up for the ball.
A helluva red zone threat potential if deployed properly as he could be an asset in the run or pass game.

We always get caught up by that, “if deployed properly” around here tho

Steelers play football like their stuck in the past. They fail to adapt to the current trend of the league.

I’m going to guess Tomlin is just too stubborn to change his ways and the Steelers as an organization pride themselves too much on tradition/unwillingness to change. They’re getting left behind
Spot on, the league has bypassed the dinosaurs like BB and Shades

Their ways are obsolete

He looked great pass catching at the combine. I watched all the TE stuff out of boredom... his routes need work and he certainly doesnt have elite speed.. so he wasnt going to be a target out of the box

That's true....but i dont agree that is why he will not be even an adequate receiving tight end in the NFL.
If he is smart---he volunteers toi bulk up and become a tackle.
His career will last longer and he will make much more $$$$

He is Larry Brown reincarnated.

If you dont believe me...just watch the video of Larry Brown's TD catch in the Super Bowl IV and how he fought that ball in...

Washington had the most TD's in camp in the redzone. How we had not a single throw in the endzone deep to the corner for him or even Pickens or Muuth is mind-blowing. Maybe I missed one but I sure don't remember a single play like that.
I argued on another board that #80 was no threat to Eric Green's reception records for a TE in Pgh and they strongly disagreed. Well, at least under this regime, it seems I was right. Washington seems to "fight with the ball" too much to be a great receiver. Green was so much smoother catching the ball.

Washington had the most TD's in camp in the redzone. How we had not a single throw in the endzone deep to the corner for him or even Pickens or Muuth is mind-blowing. Maybe I missed one but I sure don't remember a single play like that.

i think this generally coincides with the strategy of the NOT revamping of Canada's offense and instead focusing on neglecting the middle of the field. Ya know, so as both of the safeties have the ability to double-team the outside receivers.

#PlayInOurFears

That's true....but i dont agree that is why he will not be even an adequate receiving tight end in the NFL.
If he is smart---he volunteers toi bulk up and become a tackle.
His career will last longer and he will make much more $$$$

He is Larry Brown reincarnated.

If you dont believe me...just watch the video of Larry Brown's TD catch in the Super Bowl IV and how he fought that ball in...
Cannot but agree with Badcat here.

UGA used him quite a bit in passing. But his numbers were behind Bowers for sure. The Steelers do not utilize him nor Friermuth as much. At least it seems they got away from using TE’s this season

UGA used him quite a bit in passing. But his numbers were behind Bowers for sure. The Steelers do not utilize him nor Friermuth as much. At least it seems they got away from using TE’s this season
Yea, we don't use TEs much because doing so usually requires - GULP!- throwing to the middle of the field and we know Shades is excessively scared as f--k to do that! He has to run to the bathroom to clean his pants after we throw a pass to the middle of the field.

I would have probably used my first timeout with around 3 seconds left.
That's funny **** Stain! Butt if I know Tomlin, and I do, he did it to snub his nose at the NFL. Because the NFL rules state that you can't call a timeout in the 3rd quarter until AFTER the ball is kicked into play. And that really throws off his 3rd quarter Mojo. So he just wanted to get as close to that as possible without a miscommunication between him and the refs screwing it up. So he elected to take it at 2 instead of 1 just to be safe. He showed them.

Yea, we don't use TEs much because doing so usually requires - GULP!- throwing to the middle of the field and we know Shades is excessively scared as f--k to do that! He has to run to the bathroom to clean his pants after we throw a pass to the middle of the field.
Shades wants to defend every blade of grass but make the opponents only defend the grass outside the hash marks

Cuz he’s a genius, best coach ever…that’s some next level Jedi **** there

Throwing it to the middle of the field most times is going to require the qb to throw the ball PAST the line of scrimmage also GL. There'll be no double rule breaking at the same time on this team. The standard is the standard. Not the standard is the standard is the standard!

Shades wants to defend every blade of grass but make the opponents only defend the grass outside the hash marks

Cuz he’s a genius, best coach ever…that’s some next level Jedi **** there
Haven't you heard? He's the GOAT, so far ahead of the rest of us it's not even working for him yet.

Extremely frustrating to put it mildly. Right off the bat, I'm loudly telling my son that the bills have nine guys near the line of scrimmage, throw the ball over the middle. But coach T had his game plan set, run the ball and short passes toward the sidelines or screen when necessary which was inevitable since the run game was going nowhere.

One of the main reasons our run game became successful the last few games was the opponents fear of our new found passing attack over the middle of the field with great YAC.
So instead of changing the planned approach and open it up, no, Mike's plan is written in stone.
Mike states his new/adjusting game plan for our 6 guy's trying to block there 9 guy's every week on tv just before he heads into the locker room. "We have to play better" Maybe our expectations of Mike should stop trying to push him out of his comfort zone before he gets mad and leaves forever!