• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

20 Years of Frustration: Ben Roethlisberger was worth the wait.

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 1983 Pittsburgh Steelers season was one of the most frustrating and disheartening in franchise history. A promising 9-1 start had Steeler Nation dreaming of one for the thumb. Unfortunately, each week hope was held out for the return of Terry Bradshaw, who was recovering from an elbow injury, to see the Steelers through to that Championship. But the news never came back good and the impatience for QB Cliff Stoudt mounted each week, especially as the Steelers lost 4 in a row and championship dreams turned to nightmares.

Down in South Florida, Dan Marino of Pittsburgh Panthers fame was setting new QB standards for the Miami Dolphins, the hometown boy whom the Steelers controversially passed on in the 1983 NFL draft. Marino wanted to play for the Steelers, even wrote letters to Dan Rooney and Art Rooney, with Dan Rooney the advocate to draft Marino, only to be overruled by Chuck Noll.

Bradshaw was finally able to return as the Steelers were on the verge of dropping a once all but cinched up AFC Central. He easily drove the Steelers to a 14-0 lead on the strength of 2 TD passes vs. the New York Jets and positioned the Steelers to clinch the Division Championship. However, on that final pass, his elbow popped, and the great career of Terry Bradshaw was over.

The Steelers were easily dispatched in the playoffs by the Los Angeles Raiders and the following season, Stoudt fled for the USFL while the Steelers made it all the way to the AFC Championship game behind and anemic QB combination of Mark Malone and David Woodley. The Steelers faced a Dan Marino led Dolphins offense that easily dominated the championship game. Steeler Nation could only lament what could have been as the team sunk into a dark stretch of disappointing seasons.

While the Steelers would rebuild to the level that rejoined the level of the NFL elite, knocking on the door of another Super Bowl. Despite having almost all the pieces, they could never get over the top as there was one position that stood out where the Steelers lacked the critical piece: Quarterback.

The question has been asked many times, how many championships would the Steelers have won if they had Dan Marino in the 1990s? It’s not a question of if, but how many? As it continued into the 2000s, the position of QB exposed the Steelers extremely thin margin of error that existed under Neil O’Donnell and Kordell Stewart. They lost a Super Bowl and chances at a Super Bowl because neither could make the big play under pressure, compounded by the load of interceptions that turned championship dreams into nightmares.

After the passing on Marino, the Steelers became one of the best drafting teams in the NFL, yet they would never take a QB in the first round. Tom Donahoe thought investing a 2nd round pick in Stewart was the answer for a while, as Dan Rooney referred to Heinz Field when being constructed as “The house that Kordell built.” That sentiment did not last for long.

The Steelers have never been the most active players in free agency or by making trades as a general rule, but it was even more underwhelming when it came to pursuing a QB. Under Noll, they traded a 3rd round pick for Woodley, a 4th round pick for Todd Blackledge and had a trade for Jack Trudeau fall through at the last moment. When it came to the draft, the Steelers were just as conservative, investing 3rd round picks into Bubby Brister and O’Donnell, a 2nd round pick on Stewart and a 6th round pick on Jim Miller. In Free Agency, the Steelers signed Mike Tomczak and Kent Graham.

It was a staggering 20 years of making almost no attempt to even look at a franchise QB. There was a lack of aggressiveness to even try, but I truly believe it was due to the performance of one very low-cost free agent with a better pedigree that got the Steelers attention. Upon winning the XFL MVP in 2001, former Denver Broncos QB Tommy Maddox reached out to every team in the NFL asking for a tryout and the Steelers were the only team to answer. Maddox flourished with the Steelers and gave the offense a dimension it had not seen in decades with his ability to sling the ball, breaking multiple records previously set by Bradshaw.

So when the injury ravaged 2003 season tore the Steelers from Championship contenders to a team that had the 11th overall pick and placed the Steelers in position to the best QB prospect since Marino in 1983, Dan Rooney simply was not going to let the same mistake happen twice and nudged Bill Cowher and Kevin Colbert away from addressing the offensive line and to select Ben Roethlisberger. Dan Rooney was not going to let the mistake over being overruled by his football people again. Rooney never got over the mistake of passing up Dan Marino, just as he had never gotten over the cutting of Johnny Unitas. Securing a franchise QB for the future when they had the chance was front and center on Rooney’s mind and despite the confidence they had in Maddox, for once they thought about the bigger picture.

Every season for 20 years I personally went into the draft looking at QBs. I desperately wanted the Steelers to find a QB each season as I scouted potential prospects. Oh, how I wanted Chuck Long in 1986 (and still irrationally mad about passing on him) or a trade for Steve Young in 1987. In 1991 I wanted to acquire Todd Marinovich first and foremost but admit I had a piqued curiosity about a guy named Brett Favre, mistakes made worse by a bad decision that was compounded with the worst Steelers first round pick of the last 50 years. I thought it a mistake to not grab FA Bernie Kosar in 1993 after the Cleveland Browns cut him, especially with how good the Steelers offensive line was, and believe he would have been enough to win the Steelers a Super Bowl in 1994 or 1995.

In 2000, when the Steelers had the #8 overall pick, Kevin Colbert was actively trying to trade back into the first round to select Chad Pennington as the organization was torn been the QB from Marshall and WR Plaxico Burress. Knowing that Kent Graham was a free agent signee (and it came out later that they tried talking Marino to make one last run in 2000). I can confidently say that I had never before wished to see a player get taken off the board before our pick before because I just knew they wouldn’t take Pennington. In 2001, I had strong conviction about taking Drew Brees, to the point my heart sunk when they traded back and heard the name Casey Hampton called out. As much as I know it worked out, it still made me angry on that day.

But on April 24, 2004, 20 years of frustration were finally set free. When the Steelers went up to that podium to announce they were drafting Ben Roethlisberger – already dressed in Black and Gold – it was unlike any draft pick the Steelers announced before or since. Historically the best player ever taken 11th overall and arguably the best value the Steelers have ever found in the first round, one thing is certain:

18 years later and thrills beyond expectations, I can say with conviction that it was worth the wait.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Bill either has a better memory than me or great at research or both. Very few out there put the depth into their stories. That is your kudos for the day don't let it go to your head.😁

I never realized this is how the Marino thing went down:

Marino wanted to play for the Steelers, even wrote letters to Dan Rooney and Art Rooney, with Dan Rooney the advocate to draft Marino, only to be overruled by Chuck Noll.

So Noll passes on Marino and drafts a defensive tackle by the name of Gabe Rivera aka Senor Sack , who became paralyzed from the neck down in a traffic accident. He was intoxicated and speeding and lost control on the winding and unfamiliar roads of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: FSF
I laughed a little at that story, because I will admit, I was of the thought during those years you could win with an ok QB if you have a really good team around him. It never bothered me they didn't draft one. Think about it...Washington won a couple of Super Bowls around that time with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien. Chicago had Jim McMahon. Phil Simms with the Giants. Aikmen I always thought had such a great team around him, although I think I undersold him a bit. He was a heck of a QB.

Ben kinda blew all that out the window.

I never realized this is how the Marino thing went down:

Marino wanted to play for the Steelers, even wrote letters to Dan Rooney and Art Rooney, with Dan Rooney the advocate to draft Marino, only to be overruled by Chuck Noll.

So Noll passes on Marino and drafts a defensive tackle by the name of Gabe Rivera aka Senor Sack , who became paralyzed from the neck down in a traffic accident. He was intoxicated and speeding and lost control on the winding and unfamiliar roads of Pittsburgh.
If Rivera doesn't get paralyzed then passing up Marino maybe doesn't look so bad. At the time it was thought Bradshaw would recover and had a couple more years left.
As it was, drafting Rivera set the team back at least ten years.

I laughed a little at that story, because I will admit, I was of the thought during those years you could win with an ok QB if you have a really good team around him. It never bothered me they didn't draft one. Think about it...Washington won a couple of Super Bowls around that time with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien. Chicago had Jim McMahon. Phil Simms with the Giants. Aikmen I always thought had such a great team around him, although I think I undersold him a bit. He was a heck of a QB.

Ben kinda blew all that out the window.
Doug Williams always had talent, but it didn’t help his cause playing for Tampa in his prime then.

Rypien had a off the top year in 1992, one he’d never duplicate but he won MVP and they went 14-2.

Phil Simms was a really good QB. If we got someone of that level I’d be thrilled. Only an injury prevented him from being a 2x Super Bowl QB.

Jim McMahon…. Yeah, sucked. But was 3rd pick overall and had talent. Clearly they couldn’t win Jack **** without him either.

Aikman is an All Time great who put wins over stats. Dude was sick accurate. Don’t be fooled by stats with him.

Put Aikman on 90s Steelers and we win 3/4 years.

O’Donnell & Stewart…. Ugh

If Rivera doesn't get paralyzed then passing up Marino maybe doesn't look so bad. At the time it was thought Bradshaw would recover and had a couple more years left.
As it was, drafting Rivera set the team back at least ten years.
Nope. It was bad.

Don’t pass up on generational talent at QB.

Ever.

Doug Williams always had talent, but it didn’t help his cause playing for Tampa in his prime then.

Rypien had a off the top year in 1992, one he’d never duplicate but he won MVP and they went 14-2.

Phil Simms was a really good QB. If we got someone of that level I’d be thrilled. Only an injury prevented him from being a 2x Super Bowl QB.

Jim McMahon…. Yeah, sucked. But was 3rd pick overall and had talent. Clearly they couldn’t win Jack **** without him either.

Aikman is an All Time great who put wins over stats. Dude was sick accurate. Don’t be fooled by stats with him.

Put Aikman on 90s Steelers and we win 3/4 years.

O’Donnell & Stewart…. Ugh
You are right. I guess what I mean though is would you put them in the same category as Ben, Brady, Brees, you know, those guys who have defined franchise QBs? Maybe we didn't use that term then. Now you think you gotta have a guy like those 3 to win championships.

I agree to a point...how can you be sure it is generational talent? How many sure fire QB prospects flame out?
Cleveland says they will get one somewhere within the next 50 drafted.

All I know is 24 hours later and I am still numb that this was Bens last time running out onto Heinz field. It's just kinda surreal that next week may be the last time we see Big Ben in a steelers uniform. gonna be a long ****** offseason. If we can't make the playoffs next year I hope we finish 1-16 so I don't have to wait till I'm 85 to see the next franchise QB in the Burgh.

The legend: A drug rumor caused Dan Marino to slip to the 27th overall pick in the 1983 draft. The rumor was started by someone inside the NFL, perhaps someone in the Dolphins organization, to cause Marino to fall into a successful team's lap.

What we know: The 1982-83 Marino drug rumors were real. Real rumors, anyway. Marvin Demoff, Marino's agent, heard them in the weeks leading up to the draft. "I started representing him, and I realized there were at least questions," Demoff said.

The rumors wafted their way down to the media. Ray Didinger covered the NFL for the Philadelphia Daily News in 1983, and he heard the rumors about the popular cross-state college star. "It was certainly out there that there were 'issues' with Marino," he said.

The rumor was pervasive and convincing enough that former Steelers coach Chuck Noll admitted in a 1992 Associated Press interview to passing on Marino specifically because of the rumor. The Steelers, of course, were close to the epicenter of all things Marino in 1982—Marino grew up in Pittsburgh and went to Pitt—at a time when being geographically close to a story made a big difference.

But the impact of the rumor may have become overstated as the decades passed. And the rumor does not seem to have originated within the NFL.

I agree to a point...how can you be sure it is generational talent? How many sure fire QB prospects flame out?
I truly believe that a lot of generational talent quarterbacks get ruined by going to the wrong team. Carson Palmer, for instance, was ruined by the Cincinnati Bengals. Or at least never came close to fulfilling the potential he had. Trevor Lawrence is looking like crap in Jax while Mac Jones is solid in New England.

With how stable Steelers have been, they probably got more out of O’Donnell & Stewart than most franchises would have.

Ultimately it comes down to the front office and who they decide a generational talent really is. If you deem someone to be that generational talent you don’t pass up on him. Green Bay didn’t in 2005, for example.

The Colts made the right call in the long run with drafting Andrew Luck, but with Bill Polian no longer running the show proved they had wrong ppl running things afterwards.

It’s tough call. But environment matters, I like ours—and hypothetically speaking: if we could get Trevor Lawrence right now, would you consider our QB situation solved?

AKA "Senor Suck," first coined by my dear ol' dad.

You are right. I guess what I mean though is would you put them in the same category as Ben, Brady, Brees, you know, those guys who have defined franchise QBs? Maybe we didn't use that term then. Now you think you gotta have a guy like those 3 to win championships.
Aikman— yes. He was definitely a Franchise QB. Deserves to be mentioned in same category as Ben, Brady, Brees since all are slam dunk first ballot HoF QBs.

Simms—A notch below what I would call a Franchise QB. These are subjective terms obviously. Not much of difference between him and Boomer Esiason, Ken Anderson, Neil Lomax or Bernie Kosar. They were all very good to moments of greatness QBs, but not (subjective) elite.

The others had short career years in the way of a Rich Gannon, Brian Sipe or Cam Newton. Not sustained greatness by any means.

Watching Ben play his last home game was tough emotionally, thinking about this team without him is worse.

Without trying to get off track too much, I question the Steelers ability to develop a new QB, but that won't happen for several reasons. They've already admitted they
don't want to start with a rookie, the selection is slim in this draft, and it's always a crapshoot anyway. So, who will the next Bubby Brister be?

I truly believe that a lot of generational talent quarterbacks get ruined by going to the wrong team. Carson Palmer, for instance, was ruined by the Cincinnati Bengals. Or at least never came close to fulfilling the potential he had. Trevor Lawrence is looking like crap in Jax while Mac Jones is solid in New England.

With how stable Steelers have been, they probably got more out of O’Donnell & Stewart than most franchises would have.

Ultimately it comes down to the front office and who they decide a generational talent really is. If you deem someone to be that generational talent you don’t pass up on him. Green Bay didn’t in 2005, for example.

The Colts made the right call in the long run with drafting Andrew Luck, but with Bill Polian no longer running the show proved they had wrong ppl running things afterwards.

It’s tough call. But environment matters, I like ours—and hypothetically speaking: if we could get Trevor Lawrence right now, would you consider our QB situation solved?
No

I am not a fan of Lawrence

All I know is 24 hours later and I am still numb that this was Bens last time running out onto Heinz field. It's just kinda surreal that next week may be the last time we see Big Ben in a steelers uniform. gonna be a long ****** offseason. If we can't make the playoffs next year I hope we finish 1-16 so I don't have to wait till I'm 85 to see the next franchise QB in the Burgh.

We're going to win on Sunday and the Jags are going to pull off the upset. So we'll see him play at least 2 more games.

Watching Ben play his last home game was tough emotionally, thinking about this team without him is worse.

Without trying to get off track too much, I question the Steelers ability to develop a new QB, but that won't happen for several reasons. They've already admitted they
don't want to start with a rookie, the selection is slim in this draft, and it's always a crapshoot anyway. So, who will the next Bubby Brister be?
Tomlin has stated he doesnt want a rookie QB. He is the only name i have seen attached to this. It also could be very telling of his future or also a way of him positioning to avoid being shown as the fraud he is when it comes to developing players. Sadly we are in for a tough few years right now. Could be longer depending on how long it takes for this Organization to adapt and change somethings. I think Tomlins best days with the steelers are behind him as soon as Ben retires. We are not going to get a free agent better than Ben. Rodgers is not going to come here. And honestly with this line and the issues we have its gonna be hard to go anywhere. This team needs to accept that it needs to do alot of work.

What are the chances Rooney v3 thinks enough of Pickett to pull the draft day trump card? Same argument back then…O-lineman in the first round.

Could have Drafted Marino, then Ben. Might be playing for SB #12 right now.

Tomlin has stated he doesnt want a rookie QB. He is the only name i have seen attached to this. It also could be very telling of his future or also a way of him positioning to avoid being shown as the fraud he is when it comes to developing players. Sadly we are in for a tough few years right now. Could be longer depending on how long it takes for this Organization to adapt and change somethings. I think Tomlins best days with the steelers are behind him as soon as Ben retires. We are not going to get a free agent better than Ben. Rodgers is not going to come here. And honestly with this line and the issues we have its gonna be hard to go anywhere. This team needs to accept that it needs to do alot of work.
Or, he could just be trying to hide the direction of their picks.

Or, he could just be trying to hide the direction of their picks.
I guess that is a possibility. However i am inclined to not believe that simply cause I have never viewed Tomlin as any kind of Tactician. He's the type of guy always playing checkers in a chess match.