• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I am not a big fan of Harris. He isn't that athletic, doesn't show great power or bend in his game. His tape isn't that inspiring to me. My first guy on the list is Takk McKinley. He will probably get dinged because of the shoulder issue and his recovery, otherwise, I don't think he is in the conversation. He threw the bar up 24 times with a rotator cuff injury. That can sap some power, can make it difficult to train, some doctors say there is a degradation in overall strength over time. He played with it for almost 2 years. Phenomenal athlete, ran track in high school at 235 pounds and ran a 10.6-100 meter. You see that speed when he closes. Good pop at the point, slips blocks, tenacious. Coaches love him. Not exactly a bendy guy, but extends arms and slips. Almost impossible to cut him. And, when he sees the ball, he gets the ball. So, he is #1. TJ Watt might be next. Lawson probably would be, but I'm thinking Watt may have more future upside. I think Lawson is ready sooner, but with Watt's length and bend around the corner, with his work ethic and knowledge, how far he came in just 2 seasons, he could blow the lid off about middle Y2 and be something in Y3. But, Lawson is right behind him. Then, I go Derek Rivers. Again, great athlete, bendy, has explosion and power.

If guys like Taco Charlton, Harris, or Willis are there, I'd just as soon go elsewhere.

you just made my day!

stick around...

deljzc

Reaction score
TMC,

Do you have any info/reviews yet on the top-250 like you used to do? Are you only selling it again?

I'm done with most of my work/big board a bit early this year so I'm always interested in some back-in-forth on prospects. Looking forward to lots of discussion this last month.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC!!!!! Appreciate your input as always.

My question is kind of two fold. We have seen the Steelers unwillingness to adjust their scheme as a whole to remedy being outcoached and out played by a few teams. (Obviously New England being #1). Tomlin was recently quoted as saying that the Steelers "won't change their philosophy just to beat New England". If you are going into this draft what does it look like if you are calling the Steelers bluff and they know they need to adjust to the Patriots. To me there is no more important issue than this and it effects everything they will do moving forward. Obviously they didn't panic in free agency but do you think they realistically feel like they can matchup better with New England on draft upgrades alone? Personally, I think if you're going to allocate upwards of 65% of your cap space to your offense they better be the unit that is aggressive and carrying the team. You better be outscoring teams, even New England.

I think they should draft two edge rushers in the 1st three rounds and a CB. Maybe ONE offensive player in the first three rounds but I wouldn't even do that. What does your board look like by round?

I don't really buy into the whole "unwillingness to adjust their scheme" idea. Some do, I don't. Butler has only had the defense for 2 years now. In his first year as a DC, they drafted Bud Dupree, Golson, Burns, Davis, and Hargrave with the first 5 picks (2 one year, 3 the next). So, they draft an athletic OLB, not the older big plodder we once drafted (especially at LOLB). They add a nickel corner in the 2nd. Then, the next year, they come back and add a press corner, a strong safety with coverage skills, and a pass rushing NT. Then you get Heyward stating that they are no longer holding blockers for the LBs to run, they are getting after it. More one-gap while LeBeau was a 2-gap guy. Tomlin also stated that the reason the played zone was they did not have the talent to play man, and he is right. I mean, do you want William Gay running in man coverage with Edelman? Do you trust Cockrell to lock down Hogan? Who would cover Amendola? What about Mitchell? We had one press corner, Burns.

Tomlin did say something to that nature, but I think it has more to do with the idea that they won't change who they are just to beat one team. Tomlin has been to 2 Super Bowls. In both instances, they never faced New England. In fact, since 2001, only faced them 3 times in the playoffs. It is a little silly when you think of it in those terms. He stated they won't be reactionary, which I take as them not stating we HAVE to do this. They will continue to draft and improve in all areas, so they can beat all 32 teams. That happens when you get an offense that can play with balance and a defense that can stop the run and the pass. You just have to do everything well, or you beat NE and lose to Baltimore. Or, maybe Baltimore just knocks you out way before the playoffs.

I'll also add this, if they had a healthy Bell and perhaps, Bryant, offensively, they would have been harder to choke down. You hold the ball, defense stays fresher, maybe you are able to make a play and get a stop. One or two plays can change the outcome of a game and sometimes when things go bad, they snowball. The Steelers not only lost their way in zone, when they went man, the Pats just flat out beat them. Davis was pulled out of position on a couple routes, one left Hogan wide open. That improves with experience. You just cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater. This team was one win away from a Super Bowl.

As for my board, there are so many quality players in this draft, I haven't even begun to stack a board past the 2nd round. I'm actually looking at just building pools of players. And, while WR isn't a pressing need, if a guy like Godwin or Zay Jones is there in the 2nd, I won't hesitate to draft them. In other drafts, those guys could go top 15. I'm not passing on that at 62 for a lesser player on defense. I also doubt we draft 2 edges unless one comes very late. I would, however, load up on DBs. Really great DB draft. Strong. Cannot remember one better.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC,

Do you have any info/reviews yet on the top-250 like you used to do? Are you only selling it again?

I'm done with most of my work/big board a bit early this year so I'm always interested in some back-in-forth on prospects. Looking forward to lots of discussion this last month.

Truthfully Del, not even writing that stuff. I never really did that stuff for me. I started it when I had my website. Wrote the book when people here asked for it. It is so much work involved and I kind of know who I like. I'm at the point where I am locking into pools of guys at different positions and getting a feel for each round I like them in. I really like some of the DBs in this draft, think that 10-12 in another draft would be first round guys. I mean, I have 3 safeties I like in R1 (not named Peppers). I have about 6 CBs. I liked Jones a lot, liked Moreau, but not sure either stay in the first two rounds with their injury because you can draft healthy guys that can help you day 1. Safeties...there are guys many have in the 4th/5th that I like a ton. Nasty good depth at safety for me. I think there are so many WRs in this draft that you can get a stud through the end of R2 and enough big ones that can run that you can find one at any point. RB has decent talent at the top, quality throughout. I like some of the middle round TEs like Leggett and Everett. Not a fan of Engram, he can't/won't block and drops too many. If Howard (pipe dream) and Njoku (still dreaming) fell to #30, I would consider either. They are franchise TEs. Just so much talent.

What I am not looking to draft, QB and OL. Outside of that, if it is the right guy, I'm game. If I had 10 picks in the first three rounds, I'd be cutting guys now to make room.

deljzc

Reaction score
TMC... I've been kind of doing a "running blog" on how my analysis has been going over the past 6 weeks. You should read my draft thread from the beginning to just catch up if you have time. Would love to hear your thoughts and I think we agree on many aspects of this draft (especially the depth in secondary prospects).

Here is where my big board and player analysis stand right now:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HixFT8TnE3LeaVlPWIVqhq4qCxBcu-VSj7AjTxHjA_U/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11-REVPGNpE_VIb_qQ9yJmPYEqjzrfNRy4PFiwh1Eas8/edit?usp=sharing

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of Peppers, I've been shouting from the rooftops I think this guy is super overrated. He has elite athleticism BUT doesn't generate turnovers, he doesn't generate big plays with the ball in his hands, he's a solid tackler but nothing special so as to make him a linebacker, and does not imo have NFL-level coverage skills. He's like driving a Ferrari that's programmed to not go over 60mph. Do you see the team considering him at all, and what position do you think suits him? My opinion is that I would not consider him before the comp pick if I'm KC/MT

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC... I've been kind of doing a "running blog" on how my analysis has been going over the past 6 weeks. You should read my draft thread from the beginning to just catch up if you have time. Would love to hear your thoughts and I think we agree on many aspects of this draft (especially the depth in secondary prospects).

Here is where my big board and player analysis stand right now:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HixFT8TnE3LeaVlPWIVqhq4qCxBcu-VSj7AjTxHjA_U/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11-REVPGNpE_VIb_qQ9yJmPYEqjzrfNRy4PFiwh1Eas8/edit?usp=sharing

Here are my thoughts, just pointing out where we may differ. On your QBs, generally agree with the overall feel on most. I don't like Kaaya. When pressured, he throws off his back foot too much. He doesn't handle pressure well. For me, that is a must in the NFL. So, I have him behind some guys. QBs are overvalued. Watson, Kizer, and Mahommes probably go R1 or close, IMO. Webb climbs up there, I think in R2. Kelly is going to drop due to off-the-field. I like Peterman too, but in the middle. I don't even want any of the rest if they came with a WR glued to them.

At RB, if Mixon did not Tyson that woman, he would be higher. He is pretty good. But, what a dumbass. I'd have Foreman over Mack. I do not like Pumphrey at all. He goes down like a $2 hooker. Fair receiver. Other than that, I don't see much difference.

At TE, don't like Engram. He is, a big WR to me. I'm okay with Shaheen, but he is more of a #2 TE for me, opposite of Engram, will block and not exceptionally athletic....for his size he is, but not for a TE in general. I like Everett a ton. I like Leggett more than you, he shows up in big moments, doesn't shy away from the spotlight. Sprinkle will be lower after stealing stuff from Belk when they were giving them a gift card to use. Another knucklehead.

At WR, Corey Davis is probably #1. He checks all the boxes. I'd move Godwin up, but outside of that, it is good. I'd put Ryan Switzer in the middle rounds. If he is there R4 and we don't draft him, we need our ***** kicked. If he goes to New England, they have another Welker/Edelman in the fold. Kid does everything. Robert Davis is a nice sleeper.

At OL, don't know, don't care. I cannot get excited about any of them, would not draft one. I'd ink an undrafted and roll with him because none of these guys are better than what we have, well, except like Forrest Lamp, but that high? No thanks.

At DL, I don't want any part of Malik McDowell. He is so hot and cold, said he did what he wanted and the coaches adjusted scheme to him. Why did they conform? Because, he said he was so good they could not improve him so they adjusted to use his talent. I don't even have him ranked on my board. Nazir Jones, once you watch him, will drop. Other than that, I like it.

At DE, I think if you fit Charlton as a 4-3 DE, he is that high. Williams isn't, was a part time player at Alabama, pass rush mainly, and his off-the-field take him off my board. Thomas should be higher to me. I'm not a fan of Barnett. He doesn't look athletic on tape, not at the combine, just sends up red flags all over. I don't like Harris either, similar reasons to Barnett. I'd have Rivers ahead of Bowser. I think Walker is way too low. He is more 4-3, but he gets after it. Smoot is better standing than with his hand in the ground. Go to his junior year, he played wide-9, had more space to work, was better. Looked better at the Senior bowl when they stood him up. He likes space. I think Hendrickson goes higher too.

At ILB, the top 4 might go first or close to it because there is a solid drop after them. I like McMillan as my #5 ILB. I like Walker higher.

At S, I don't like Peppers at all. He is a moneybacker to me. He rarely plays deep safety. At best, he is a strong but I don't see many packages with him deep. He was not a guy that handled the slot well either. Can get lost in coverage. You draft him, you better have a plan. I like him more on offense. I like Marcus Maye in R2-R3. I have Tedric Thompson higher, although most don't. Fish Smithson should draw some consideration. I don't see John Johnson on the list from BC. He is a mid-round guy.

At CB, Tabor is going to slide. I am not completely off him because I think he could do well if you use him right, but he isn't going to play outside without safety help. That is what Florida did with Maye, left Wilson alone. So, I think Wilson should be higher. Gareon Conley is a top 20 pick to me. Desmond King is a safety prospect. He is like Tabor and will need deep protection as a corner. Kevin King, I have him higher. I absolutely LOVE Chidobe Awuzie, have him in the 1st. Witherspoon is a guy I think goes higher. Howard Wilson reminds me a lot of WJIII and that should speak to how deep this draft is, because in this draft, he is a 3rd/4th rounder. Corn Elder is a feisty slot guy.

Overall, pretty good stuff. The things I stated is probably an eye of the beholder deal.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Jeez TMC it's like Mayock showed up on our board. And I'm not being tongue in cheek. Lots of respect for you here.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Speaking of Peppers, I've been shouting from the rooftops I think this guy is super overrated. He has elite athleticism BUT doesn't generate turnovers, he doesn't generate big plays with the ball in his hands, he's a solid tackler but nothing special so as to make him a linebacker, and does not imo have NFL-level coverage skills. He's like driving a Ferrari that's programmed to not go over 60mph. Do you see the team considering him at all, and what position do you think suits him? My opinion is that I would not consider him before the comp pick if I'm KC/MT

I don't. I think he is consistently used in the box. He doesn't do well in coverage to me. Hardly ever plays deep and struggles when he does. When he is in the box, he isn't going to stick with slot receivers. He plays like a small LB. If that is what you want, okay. But, he stated he wasn't a LB at the combine. I just don't like him. I want guys that can do a variety of things. Now, if we want a hybrid RB/WR, okay. I like him there. If you watch the Colorado game, on the 2nd play from scrimmage, he is down in the box. I think he has deep middle, but on the snap, he doesn't get deep. The slot WR beats the corner, easy pitch and catch for a TD. On snap, the other safety blitzes, he has to get back, slow to move. He fails to recognize route combinations. Just don't see it. Not as a full-time safety.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
TMC your thoughts on the Safety from Connecticut??

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC your thoughts on the Safety from Connecticut??

Obi Melifonwu, we are bringing him in for a visit. Don't be shocked if a team tries him at corner, just like Budda Baker. Could sneak into the first. He might be on our radar at #30. Tough to read this one, depends on if you think he can play corner. He will thump you. I think he is better closer to the line when he can lay hands on a receiver. It is why he might move to corner. Good range, doesn't always recognize stuff like true safeties do, slow to react sometimes. He fails to find lanes when supporting from deep and can get picked off by guys on his way to the ball. Can take some bad angles. Just seems like a guy that if you put him on the edge with the sideline to help, and let him lay that big body on people, he could be solid. I'm not pining for him, but I don't dislike him either. At worst, I think you have a big box SS with better than average cover skills.

I would not draft him to play Sean Davis spot though. I like Davis there. I'd rather take a big FS unless Melinfonwu is your moneybacker.

deljzc

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts, just pointing out where we may differ. On your QBs, generally agree with the overall feel on most. I don't like Kaaya. When pressured, he throws off his back foot too much. He doesn't handle pressure well. For me, that is a must in the NFL. So, I have him behind some guys. QBs are overvalued. Watson, Kizer, and Mahommes probably go R1 or close, IMO. Webb climbs up there, I think in R2. Kelly is going to drop due to off-the-field. I like Peterman too, but in the middle. I don't even want any of the rest if they came with a WR glued to them.

At RB, if Mixon did not Tyson that woman, he would be higher. He is pretty good. But, what a dumbass. I'd have Foreman over Mack. I do not like Pumphrey at all. He goes down like a $2 hooker. Fair receiver. Other than that, I don't see much difference.

At TE, don't like Engram. He is, a big WR to me. I'm okay with Shaheen, but he is more of a #2 TE for me, opposite of Engram, will block and not exceptionally athletic....for his size he is, but not for a TE in general. I like Everett a ton. I like Leggett more than you, he shows up in big moments, doesn't shy away from the spotlight. Sprinkle will be lower after stealing stuff from Belk when they were giving them a gift card to use. Another knucklehead.

At WR, Corey Davis is probably #1. He checks all the boxes. I'd move Godwin up, but outside of that, it is good. I'd put Ryan Switzer in the middle rounds. If he is there R4 and we don't draft him, we need our ***** kicked. If he goes to New England, they have another Welker/Edelman in the fold. Kid does everything. Robert Davis is a nice sleeper.

At OL, don't know, don't care. I cannot get excited about any of them, would not draft one. I'd ink an undrafted and roll with him because none of these guys are better than what we have, well, except like Forrest Lamp, but that high? No thanks.

At DL, I don't want any part of Malik McDowell. He is so hot and cold, said he did what he wanted and the coaches adjusted scheme to him. Why did they conform? Because, he said he was so good they could not improve him so they adjusted to use his talent. I don't even have him ranked on my board. Nazir Jones, once you watch him, will drop. Other than that, I like it.

At DE, I think if you fit Charlton as a 4-3 DE, he is that high. Williams isn't, was a part time player at Alabama, pass rush mainly, and his off-the-field take him off my board. Thomas should be higher to me. I'm not a fan of Barnett. He doesn't look athletic on tape, not at the combine, just sends up red flags all over. I don't like Harris either, similar reasons to Barnett. I'd have Rivers ahead of Bowser. I think Walker is way too low. He is more 4-3, but he gets after it. Smoot is better standing than with his hand in the ground. Go to his junior year, he played wide-9, had more space to work, was better. Looked better at the Senior bowl when they stood him up. He likes space. I think Hendrickson goes higher too.

At ILB, the top 4 might go first or close to it because there is a solid drop after them. I like McMillan as my #5 ILB. I like Walker higher.

At S, I don't like Peppers at all. He is a moneybacker to me. He rarely plays deep safety. At best, he is a strong but I don't see many packages with him deep. He was not a guy that handled the slot well either. Can get lost in coverage. You draft him, you better have a plan. I like him more on offense. I like Marcus Maye in R2-R3. I have Tedric Thompson higher, although most don't. Fish Smithson should draw some consideration. I don't see John Johnson on the list from BC. He is a mid-round guy.

At CB, Tabor is going to slide. I am not completely off him because I think he could do well if you use him right, but he isn't going to play outside without safety help. That is what Florida did with Maye, left Wilson alone. So, I think Wilson should be higher. Gareon Conley is a top 20 pick to me. Desmond King is a safety prospect. He is like Tabor and will need deep protection as a corner. Kevin King, I have him higher. I absolutely LOVE Chidobe Awuzie, have him in the 1st. Witherspoon is a guy I think goes higher. Howard Wilson reminds me a lot of WJIII and that should speak to how deep this draft is, because in this draft, he is a 3rd/4th rounder. Corn Elder is a feisty slot guy.

Overall, pretty good stuff. The things I stated is probably an eye of the beholder deal.

You hit on a lot of stuff. I agree with you on a lot. While the CB depth is insanely good, inside the group they have fluctuated a lot for me. I have a friend that's a huge Florida fan and says the same thing you said about Tebor vs. Wilson. He says from watching every week that Wilson is the better player. Not as flashy, but better. Both of their run times are worrisome.

I have been pushing Rivers up (he's up on my spreadsheet). Everything about him I am starting to like but am trying to figure out a scenario how we get him.

Peppers is a tough scout. I mentioned he never played deep in my notes but I think his athleticism pops a bit on film. Tweener guys in the secondary are finding bigger rolls in the NFL these days but I agree you have to have a plan for him.

I have always been a bit more enamored with size/length than you, which is why consistently I push guys up like Taco Charlton, Jarron Jones, Malik McDowell. Maybe too much but that is just my scouting style I think.

I agree with you this is probably the most "blah" offensive line draft in a while. I like some of the versatility (there are a lot of guys that can play multiple spots) but I don't see a lot of pro-bowl traits in this group. I think the Steelers look for a late round tackle though to replace Harris' spot on the roster (or provide some competition for that spot).

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You hit on a lot of stuff. I agree with you on a lot. While the CB depth is insanely good, inside the group they have fluctuated a lot for me. I have a friend that's a huge Florida fan and says the same thing you said about Tebor vs. Wilson. He says from watching every week that Wilson is the better player. Not as flashy, but better. Both of their run times are worrisome.

I have been pushing Rivers up (he's up on my spreadsheet). Everything about him I am starting to like but am trying to figure out a scenario how we get him.

Peppers is a tough scout. I mentioned he never played deep in my notes but I think his athleticism pops a bit on film. Tweener guys in the secondary are finding bigger rolls in the NFL these days but I agree you have to have a plan for him.

I have always been a bit more enamored with size/length than you, which is why consistently I push guys up like Taco Charlton, Jarron Jones, Malik McDowell. Maybe too much but that is just my scouting style I think.

I agree with you this is probably the most "blah" offensive line draft in a while. I like some of the versatility (there are a lot of guys that can play multiple spots) but I don't see a lot of pro-bowl traits in this group. I think the Steelers look for a late round tackle though to replace Harris' spot on the roster (or provide some competition for that spot).

It is good to see both of you draftniks conversing back n forth.

It helps look at players in different perspectives.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I am not a big fan of Harris. He isn't that athletic, doesn't show great power or bend in his game. His tape isn't that inspiring to me. My first guy on the list is Takk McKinley. He will probably get dinged because of the shoulder issue and his recovery, otherwise, I don't think he is in the conversation. He threw the bar up 24 times with a rotator cuff injury. That can sap some power, can make it difficult to train, some doctors say there is a degradation in overall strength over time. He played with it for almost 2 years. Phenomenal athlete, ran track in high school at 235 pounds and ran a 10.6-100 meter. You see that speed when he closes. Good pop at the point, slips blocks, tenacious. Coaches love him. Not exactly a bendy guy, but extends arms and slips. Almost impossible to cut him. And, when he sees the ball, he gets the ball. So, he is #1. TJ Watt might be next. Lawson probably would be, but I'm thinking Watt may have more future upside. I think Lawson is ready sooner, but with Watt's length and bend around the corner, with his work ethic and knowledge, how far he came in just 2 seasons, he could blow the lid off about middle Y2 and be something in Y3. But, Lawson is right behind him. Then, I go Derek Rivers. Again, great athlete, bendy, has explosion and power.

If guys like Taco Charlton, Harris, or Willis are there, I'd just as soon go elsewhere.

So you have Lawson and Mckinley don't both carry slight injury question marks?

For me that is why Watt makes the most sense in perhaps the safest pick? for round 1.

Now for my questions.

1 In round 1 who do you think might fall. And on another note who do you wish would fall ? (within reason of course) Might not necessarily be the same answer.

2 Which player in this draft would help the Steelers get over the hump? as in take the next step to get back to the SB.

3 If you had to pick a realistic 1 -5 round Steelers mock, your players would be ?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
It is good to see both of you draftniks conversing back n forth.

It helps look at players in different perspectives.

Del does good work. All you can ask from someone is for them to tell you what they see. When you think, at a minimum, he is probably looking at 3 games, maybe 5 or more, for each guy on that list. That is a ton of work involved. Then, you have to write each up. Rank them, think about why this guy is higher than this guy. It takes time.

So, have to respect that, even if you disagree.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

For me that is why Watt makes the most sense in perhaps the safest pick? for round 1.

Now for my questions.

1 In round 1 who do you think might fall. And on another note who do you wish would fall ? (within reason of course) Might not necessarily be the same answer.

2 Which player in this draft would help the Steelers get over the hump? as in take the next step to get back to the SB.

3 If you had to pick a realistic 1 -5 round Steelers mock, your players would be ?

that is easy....Tyus Bowser.....

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Del does good work. All you can ask from someone is for them to tell you what they see. When you think, at a minimum, he is probably looking at 3 games, maybe 5 or more, for each guy on that list. That is a ton of work involved. Then, you have to write each up. Rank them, think about why this guy is higher than this guy. It takes time.

So, have to respect that, even if you disagree.

What I really appreciate is an unfiltered assessment. Most of the guys on TV don't put in the work and rely upon others. Yet they are called experts.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score

Now for my questions.

1-Yes, both McKinley and Lawson have medical concerns. I would imagine both would be called back to Indy for medical rechecks. Watt may as well, two knee injuries sidelined him his freshman and sophomore year. If he goes back for med recheck, it is a concern. Question is, if McKinley heals, is he still a concern. Have to weigh all that. Right now, both Lawson and Watt are ready to go, McKinley is recovering. That dings him. But, without the injury, we don't sniff him. Are you drafting for Day 1 or a career?

2-For me, it is Budda Baker and Chidobe Awuzie. They are two guys I covet. Both can play the slot. Both support the run. Awuzie plays corner and could likely be a stud there. Baker plays FS, could be a stud there. Both help early in the slot. I don't know if we pull the trigger on either in R1 and might not see them make it to #62.

3-Hard to say. Realistic? Two scenarios. If we see edge rushers go early and hard, I think we go OLB first, it would be:
1-Watt (I think McKinley and Lawson would be gone).
2-Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida.
3a-Marcus Maye, S, Florida
3B-Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
4-Donta Foreman, RB, Texas
5-Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas

What I would like:
1-Budda Baker, S, Washington
2-Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State
3-Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
3b-Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
4-Rayshawn Jenkins, FS, Miami
5-Donta Foreman, RB, Texas.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jackson is a bit of a gambler, will fade off guys to bait a throw and jump some routes. He will get burned at times. If you think you can coach that out of him, he could become a very good corner. At worst, he can play inside in the slot and in this age, a slot is a starter. That protects him over the top. Good ball skills, can run with most WRs, quick, nice COD. In the 2nd, sure.

That's my thinking. Did not watch him enough to know his propensity for gambling, but very impressed with his ability to stick with receivers, turn and run when they go deep, and shift directions to mirror receivers. He is also very fast with good hands.

Mathis is a tough read. Very little tape. Flashes. He has claimed a bench of 40 reps, maybe, don't know. Injured, it is hard to work out. But, 32 is nice. His full pro day comes up. His ability to run and change directions will be key for him. His medical too. I'm not against him in the later rounds, but I'm not taking him in the top 4. Too many healthy players with tape that I have more confidence in.

Fair points. Not until later rounds. I see some mocks have him going round 6, but if his health improves and he puts on a show at his later pro-day, I don't think he lasts that long. If he's there in the 6th, I very much like the gamble.

deljzc

Reaction score
I see the same thing with wanting Rivers. I think there's a good chance Rivers will be there for us at #62, but I think this team will force OLB in round 1. I've been telling guys here I think they love Takk McKinley and I think the injury pushes him down to us. I think the name is on the card already.

If they pick OLB in round 1, they won't take Rivers in round 2. And I agree they probably look secondary and I agree Wilson works there if available. He fits our profile.

I'm not sold on T.J. Watt like some here. I think he's getting pushed up too much from name recognition. Not sure I see it on tape like I did his brother at the college level.

Look, if they stick with the plan, force pass rusher in round 1 be that McKinley, Watt or Lawson, I can live with it. Might not be the best when you Monday morning quarterback the draft, but they can't risk waiting on a pass rusher either (there's no guarantee Rivers will be there at #62). The Steelers normally stick to the board and I think their board is reflective of roster spot openings.

deljzc

Reaction score
I have a question TMC.

I think it's a GUARANTEE the Steelers take a QB in this draft. I think likely with either one of the 3rds or 4th or 5th rounder.

Who do you think it's going to be and when? What outcome at picking a QB would piss you off the least?

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have not watched 1/10th the game film on McKinley and Bowser as you and TMC have, del, but the concern I have for both players is that they seem to disappear once the tackle gets his hands on them. Very little demonstration of an ability to shed the block.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
that is a weakness of Bowser, he spent two seasons playing both football and basketball and I think this hampered his development. He needs to work on his footwork when engaging the tackle and his hands to keep the guy off him...but this can be taught. He improved vastly from his junior to senior season and did drop back a good deal in coverage. Getting his orbital bone busted really hurt both his and the teams season....

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What do you think of Dri Archer? :hijack:

Kidding. Who is your top QB in this crappy QB draft? I am not in love with anyone but more I watch the more I like Mahomes as I feel he has the highest ceiling and has the ability to be a franchise QB. I feel Trubisky probably has the highest floor but I don't see him winning any super bowls for anyone just managing a team well and getting them to the playoffs kind of like Alex Smith.