• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2018 DRAFT - Running Back Scouting Notes

deljzc

Reaction score
RUNNING BACKS

Saquon Barkley*, Penn State (5110, 225#, 4.40, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
One of the most highly touted RB prospects to come along in a while. Strong and explosive athlete with ideal attributes for the position. Was focal point of PSU’s option offense, motioned often, and involved in passing attack as slot or outside WR threat. Highlight real is off the charts and is a boom/bust runner. Lots of negative carries on film but always has that one Wow! play (see Minnesota 2016 game - I counted 9 negative runs but he won it in OT on a great run). Reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush when he came out and was the #2 overall pick. Like Bush his wide runs and ability to plant and beat defenders to the corner jump off the film. Like Bush he returns kicks and is involved in the passing attack. And like Bush he might not live up to the hype of being a 20+ carry type back because I’m not sure Barkley is a move-the-chains type of runner. However in today’s NFL to get a Bush-type player in the 220 lbs. range is too tempting to pass up and will be drafted very high. Just offers too much threat to a defense in all the things he can do. Round 1
NFL Comparison: Reggie Bush

Royce Freeman, Oregon (5110, 230#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very good balance and footwork for a back his size. Is not afraid to finish runs and always looks for positive yardage. Consistently gets what the blocking provides and still has enough wiggle/power to make the DB miss/pay. Very good acceleration into hole and stays skinny in traffic. Reminds me a lot of Jonathan Stewart with that type of size/speed/crib ability. Decent hands but needs work on blocking (technique more than effort). North-south type runner that becomes ineffective if stacked at line or made to cut outside. Round 1-2
NFL Comparison: Jonathan Stewart

Derrius Guice*, LSU (5110, 220#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
A one cut, north-south runner. Gets slippery in the hole and falls forward. Almost all his work is between the tackles (or between LSU’s stacked 7-8 man lines). Mostly lined up in deep sets and got handoffs from under center QB’s. Can run behind a lead blocker and saw him run the wildcat a few time. His combine will matter to finalize true size/weight/speed in order to slot him into the top 4-5 RB’s of this class. Needs a bit of work on blocking. Adequate hands for screens and limited route trees in passing game (mostly outside the numbers). Definitely a move the chain type back that gets better as the game wears on. Round 1-2
NFL Comparison: Alex Collins

Nick Chubb, Georgia (5100, 220#, 4.45, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Is one of the more natural, crib running backs in this draft. Just looks like he was meant to be a running back. Vision is exceptional and shows patience and bounce-cut ability when nothing is there. Nice explosion and has two gears when needed. Decent size, runs low to ground and shows good effort after contact. Was limited part of Georgia’s passing game (31 catches in four seasons). Has a bit of wear on the tires (758 career carries) and returned from gruesome knee injury in 2015. Might not be a versatile as some teams want but he’s a solid RB prospect and should find a home in someone’s stable. Round 2-3
NFL Comparison: Frank Gore

Bo Scarbrough*, Alabama (6010, 230#), 4.45, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Not a natural crib back but his athleticism and size/speed/power just jumps off film. Shows good effort and is almost a bit wild/uncontrolled in his movements. Reminds me a ton of Jay Ajayi when he came out of Boise State and might have same type of up/down career. Can look amazing on one play but can just as easily cut the wrong way or right into a tackle and leave yards on the field. Athletic and fast enough to be a decent blocker and part of pass/screen game. Round 3
NFL Comparison: Jay Ajayi

John Kelly*, Tennessee (5100, 210#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) Pre Combine
Very similar scouting report to Alvin Kamara last year in the fact he is a junior entry with very little experience (only 327 career carries). Looks the part of an SEC athlete. Tightly wound, explosive and athletic looking on tape. Was not on a good 2017 team and his YPC really suffered (6.4 to 4.1) with lots of breakdowns in blocking and contact behind the line of scrimmage. Very good in screen game, soft hands and excellent acceleration after catch. Makes the 8th guy miss more than you realize when blocking comes together. Interesting prospect and difficult to pin down (like Kamara who I didn’t see how good he was) and could really blossom in a good NFL-style offense. Round 3-4
NFL Comparison: Alvin Kamara

Ronald Jones II*, USC (6000, 200#, 4.40, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Is a very tightly wound and explosive athlete on tape. Explodes into line and has exceptional ramp-up speed. Impressive jump cuts and tire drill work in traffic and can get slippery and narrow in the hole. Has breakaway speed if the blocking comes together on stretch plays. Reminds you a bit of Wayne Gallman (Clemson, last year) on tape and runs in a similar tall style. Not nearly as big and solid as he needs to be and has major concerns about durability at his current weight. Needs to add 15 lbs. of muscle and maintain quicks. Goes down too easily on contact and doesn’t break enough arm tackles. Not as evolved as a pass catcher or route runner and does not hold up/anchor as well in pass blocking. Talent is there but needs to significantly mature into his NFL body and work on craft to reach full potential. Round 3-4
NFL Comparison: Wayne Gallman

Mark Walton*, Miami (5090, 205#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine

Was injured the last 8 games of his junior season (ankle) but there is a lot to like in a potential 3rd down scat back. Shows a lot of toughness for his size and exhibits great quicks and natural running ability. Very good hands and really gets his nose dirty on pass blocking. Productive in his roll at Miami with very good yard per carry, TD’s and catch production that improved each season. You want to doubt he can handle a feature back role in the NFL but he’s similar in size to Freeman, McCoy or Charles. Medical and missed games might make him fall but he’s a solid player. Round 4
NFL Comparison: Dion Lewis

Ryan Nall*, Oregon State (6020, 230#, 4.60, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Jumps off film as a Bill Belichick kind of player. Very versatile with great size and more natural running ability than you’d think. Can line up as a FB and TE/WR as well as tailback. Instinctual football player and gym rat type athlete that looks to have other sports in background. Is a bigger version of Rex Burkhead. Very interested to see where this type of player gets drafted as teams might attempt to copy-cat Patriots’ offensive success. Round 4-5
NFL Comparison: Rex Burkhead

Kerryon Johnson*, Auburn (6000, 215#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) Pre Combine
Tough to tell how good an athlete/fast he is on tape. Combine will matter as a junior entry. Is the type of all-around RB that is gaining popularity right now. Taller RB and shows nice wiggle and explosiveness when the ball is in his hands. Is not a “crib” back but he does a lot okay. Active in pass game, decent blocker and can line up in multiple formations. Reminds me a bit of David Johnson but not sure he’s that type of super athlete yet and could be a closer approximation to a Wayne Gallman. Same style of player. Round 4-5
NFL Comparison: Wayne Gallman/David Johnson

Nyheim Hines, North Carolina St. (5090, 200#, 4.30, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Natural speed athlete that should contend for fastest player at combine. Not an every down type of RB and is a dynamic returner and change or pace weapon in an offense. Solid, compact build that looks adequate for NFL football as a 10-15 touch player (as opposed to some other fast guys in recent drafts). Athletically gifted individual (youtube has videos of him just doing flips and tumbling at will). He’s definitely a hood ornament type of guy for an offense/special teams and I don’t value those as high as others but some teams really draft these types of players high (3rd/4th round) looking for an edge. Very interesting prospect from an athleticism/speed aspect. Round 4-5
NFL Comparison: Devin Hester

Sony Michel, Georgia (5110, 215#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Nick Chubb’s backup that still averaged 12 touches and almost 100 yards per game in Georgia’s high powered offense. Not as natural a crib back as Chubb but is a very good SEC athlete. Had a few big plays in cleanup duty. Most carries are from RPO formations. Limited in pass game (to date). There’s NFL athletic ability but his ceiling is probably limited. Reminds me of some of the guys in Seattle’s RB rotation like Thomas Rawls (undrafted). Round 5-6
NFL Comparison: Thomas Rawls

Rashaad Penny, San Diego St. (5110, 225#, 4.60, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very big and thick in the lower half and runs hard through tackles. Replaced Donnel Pumphrey in SDS’s run heavy, eye-formation offense and looks like an old school, big tailback running behind a lead blocker/FB (2250 yards rushing). Just like Pumphrey I really like his tape but maybe I just like old school football (Pumphrey didn’t do anything as a rookie). Penny is a much different player (much bigger) and is a banger and grind-it-out type of back. Still shows some nice wiggle and can make the occasional catch in the screen game. I like him but he probably doesn’t get drafted high. Reminds me of Barry Foster but those guys don’t exist much in the NFL. A poor man’s version of Royce Freeman in this draft. Round 6
NFL Comparison: Barry Foster

Darrel Williams, LSU (5110, 235#, 4.55, ?? 3-cone)
Very similar type player to Penny but was a career backup in the SEC to the likes of Fournette and Guice and has limited carries in career. Shows some nice balance on his feet for a man his size and has a little “dancing bear” in him. Really a load to handle when he gets moving and is a very powerful back in the lower body. I think there is decent SEC athlete in the player and if given a chance to carry the load for the right team/system could really surprise. Could change to a lead blocker or fullback. Round 6
NFL Comparison: LaGarrett Blount

Kalen Ballage, Arizona St. (6020, 230#, 4.60, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine

A strictly north-south, between the tackles runner that excels with traps, tight spaces and tire-drill runs. Good forward lean but is a bit of a waste bender and height exposes him to hits. 450 carries in PAC-10 to date, but hits in NFL are different and wear-and-tear could be issue. Low career YPC (4.4) and that could be issue in NFL as well. Not a lot of lateral movement. Only generates big plays on perfectly blocked trap plays that get him quickly to the 2nd level. Limited in pass game and is not quite the athlete/threat in space you would like. Size and ability to explode into line is tempting but not many backs like this in NFL anymore. Round 6
NFL Comparison: Latavius Murray

Ito Smith, Southern Mississippi (5090, 200#, 4.50, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very productive, 3-down, mid-major prospect that struggled a bit against better competition. Did some kick returns as a FR/SO and will likely have to contribute in special teams like that to make a roster. There’s a lot to like on film and shows nice natural ability to get the extra yard and plays with power for his size. Is just limited as an athlete/talent and that will likely catch up to him a bit at the next level. A poor man’s version of Mark Walton in this draft. Round 6-7

Justin Jackson, Northwestern (5011, 200#, 4.60, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
There is some nice crib ability to his running style but the package of athletic gifts he was born with just isn’t all that special. Not big or fast enough to over invest in his ability at this point. Is more slippery and quick than fast. Good vision but will not break a lot of tackles. Adequate in pass game and gives effort in pass protection (didn’t see much in college). Mostly played from a RPO setup and was very used in college (1142 carries). Looks like he has high football I.Q. Reminds me of James White who was an average athlete (by combine terms) but isn’t the receiving threat White was/is. Round 6-7
NFL Comparison: James White

Kamryn Pettway*, Auburn (6000, 240#, 4.65, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very big and powerful runner that reminds me of old-school fullbacks in the wishbone. Almost all his work is between the tackles on run/pass option plays. Punishes and rips through arm tackles and likes to lay the wood in the 2nd level. Very limited lateral movement skills and is one directional north/south runner. Might be converted to a fullback at next level but will have to work at pass game and blocking. Has substantial injury history and some disciplinary issues (film was only from 2016). Round 6-7
NFL Comparison: Mike Tolbert

Lavon Coleman, Washington (5100, 215#, 4.55, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
A jack-of-all-trades, big-five athlete that played mostly part time in backup roll at Washington. Does a lot of little things well and looks well coached. Shifty more than quick and might find a roll as a kick returner and decent-sized 3rd down back at the next level. Good effort in pass blocking and pass routes. Not worth much in terms of draft value but players like him often find spots on rosters over more talented one-trick runners. Round 7

Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt (5090, 200#, 4.55, ?? 3-cone)
Round 7

Chase Edmonds, Fordham (5080, 210#, 4.55, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very productive D-II athlete. Runs low to the ground and with purpose. Nice stiff arm when given the opportunity and has solid running back instincts. Size really limits his effectiveness as a blocker and could hurt his prospects of making a roster. Can return kicks and will have to contribute as a #3 or #4 RB on the roster. Round 7

Jarvion Franklin, Western Michigan (5110, 225#, 4.65, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Small school prospect that lacks any elite traits to get him much more than a late round pick/chance in camp. There is NFL size and power to his running game but I think he is a noticeable notch below in explosion and speed compared to top level guys. Must work hard at all the little things (blocking, pass routes, coverage, etc.) to get a shot on a roster and be a depth participant. Round 7
NFL Comparison: David Cobb

Akrum Wadley, Iowa (5010, 190, 4.50, ?? 3-cone)
Round 7-FA

Last edited:
Please note a few things. First... WAY too many players to scout. Try to cut out the riffraff next time. Some of these smaller, small-school guys are pretty run of the mill. If they blow up the combine, I'll write some stuff down.

Overall, it's an interesting class. Lots of "types" to choose from for your running back toolbox as you get into the middle/late rounds and almost everyone is eye-of-the-beholder and will succeed/fail as much on where they end up and what they are expected to do in their new systems as what the college tape shows. Big guys, small guys, quick guys, powerful guys, pass catchers, RPO guys, eye formation guys... it really is all over.

P.S. All the 40-times are MY GUESSES right now based on film. I didn't even get them from a web site yet. I could be way off but I wanted to write down my initial impressions so I can compare once the combine/pro days happen if there is anything crazy to make me revisit tape.

Saquon Barkley is too big to be compared to Reggie Bush. I think Ezekiel Elliott is a better comparison.

Barkley's a once in 10-years type prospect. I'm not denying that. But there are concerns with his film I can't just ignore. He really takes a lot of negative runs. I mean A LOT. That is going to have to be corrected at the next level somehow, someway. And he also too frequently bounces plays outside which is where the Reggie Bush comparison comes from. Bush did that too because his speed/ability at the collegiate level allowed him to get to the edge/corner and make positive yardage. But that really doesn't work in the NFL and some of those times Barkley tries that will end up zero/negative carries too.

The one thing you do see is that EVERYTHING Penn State did revolved around the guy. Defenses keyed on him relentlessly. And Penn State lined him up all over the place to give him touches. He really can line up wide as a WR... he's that talented/fast.

I mean people forget what people were saying about Reggie Bush when he came out of college. No one was worried about his size or called him "small". They thought he was the next great thing. The reincarnation of Gayle Sayers. Could do it all.

I'm comparing THAT type of hype to what Barkley is going through right now.

I actually think Barkley is even better than some give him credit for. You noted the hits in the backfield. 9 out of 10 times he is stopped in the backfield was because of the D being right there in his face when he got the ball. The ran the RPO and the QB typically held the ball until the last second and then would give Barkley the ball when the D was already in the backfield. It was extremely frustrating watching them play. After the 3rd or 4th game of the season, teams knew how to stop Barkley and the running game and they mostly did. Stack the box and get in the backfield on PSU's mediocre (at best) O-line. When they gave Barkley the ball quickly, he would hit the hole quick.

Barkley has the speed, quickness, power and vision to be a top 5 RB in the NFL. He is great out of the backfield and can block. He is truly a complete package coming out of college. I sure hope he doesn't end up with the Clowns and preferably over in the NFC. He will put up 200 on our terrible run D.

One thing is for sure, if Bell walks, there are plenty of good backs to pick up in rds 2-4.

sorry, I missed YOUR write ups on the RB's coach.. Well except for that ONE you keep writing over and over.

I'm not about to steal TMC's thunder :)

Until then I think Nick Chubb reminds me a little of Barry Foster. A powerful man with quickness to rip off chunks of yardage. How good was he? In 2014 ( His freshman year ) he split time with a guy named Todd Gurley, Chubb averaged 7.1 yards per carry for 1,547 yards with 14 touchdowns. He hurt his knee, but rebounded to a very impressive 2017

If RB becomes a need, he's good pick for round two, or a great one if he somehow slides to round #3 If Chubb shows speed at the combine or pro day, he could go in round one.

Can Conner stay healthy? I have doubts.... Will the Steelers offer a deal to that guy who dropped the team name out of his social media handle? We shall see.

IMO, Chubb would fit our system pretty well as a running back.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-chubb-1.html

One thing is for sure, if Bell walks, there are plenty of good backs to pick up in rds 2-4.
I still think Bell stays, but I think this draft is solid at RB. Might just add one even if they resign Bell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Thanks to Deljzc

On the topic of running backs, I think the positon is showing a bit more value that it did 4-5 years ago. Teams know they can pound it vs these nickel defenses that are becoming more prevalent.

One guy I will be checking out is:

Nyheim Hines, North Carolina St. (5090, 200#, 4.30, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Natural speed athlete that should contend for fastest player at combine. Not an every down type of RB and is a dynamic returner and change or pace weapon in an offense. Solid, compact build that looks adequate for NFL football as a 10-15 touch player (as opposed to some other fast guys in recent drafts). Athletically gifted individual (youtube has videos of him just doing flips and tumbling at will). He’s definitely a hood ornament type of guy for an offense/special teams and I don’t value those as high as others but some teams really draft these types of players high (3rd/4th round) looking for an edge. Very interesting prospect from an athleticism/speed aspect. Round 4-5
NFL Comparison: Devin Hester

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nyheim-hines-1.html

Looking at his stats, he scored three times on kick returns, twice and a kickoff man, once as a punt returner. If he's as fat as Deljzc says, he's not lasing to round five, but if he's there for us in round five, I'd welcome a good return man / 3rd down player.

Last edited:
Thanks to Deljzc

On the topic of running backs, I think the positon is showing a bit more value that it did 4-5 years ago. Teams know they can pound it vs these nickel defenses that are becoming more prevalent.

One guy I will be checking out is:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nyheim-hines-1.html

Looking at his stats, he scored three times on kick returns, twice and a kickoff man, once as a punt returner. If he's as fat as Deljzc says, he's not lasing to round five, but if he's there for us in round five, I'd welcome a good return man / 3rd down player.

Knowing our history, we're probably drafting him in Round 3....

Exactly the reason I dont give him a long term deal....It will be the same in next years draft,,,and the year after....etc...

Franchise again one more year and then let him walk..

Isn't the Notre Dame back pretty decent as well. Can't recall his name.

Two players I would in round 3+

Nyheim Hines may get over-drafted but I like him as a player and would go low as late 3rd. There are times he reminds of Brian Westbrook and a couple of runs against Pitt left vapor trails on the field.

John Kelly: Need to find out what kind of worker that John Kelly is. I don't mean physically, rather mentally. Basically, I would need to know he can learn to recognize and pick up blitzes because if he can then it would make great late round pick. Also, there is no way he is 5'10". I'm 5'8" and I don't think he is taller than me.

Two players I would in round 3+

Nyheim Hines may get over-drafted but I like him as a player and would go low as late 3rd. There are times he reminds of Brian Westbrook and a couple of runs against Pitt left vapor trails on the field.

John Kelly: Need to find out what kind of worker that John Kelly is. I don't mean physically, rather mentally. Basically, I would need to know he can learn to recognize and pick up blitzes because if he can then it would make great late round pick. Also, there is no way he is 5'10". I'm 5'8" and I don't think he is taller than me.

John Kelly was the lone bright spot on offense for UT last season. He wasnt featured as he should have been because, quite frankly, Butch Jones is dumber than dog ****. Butch Jones ran off Jalen Hurd and didnt think Kamara was "all that good". But, when you look at Kelly during a game, he's almost an exact replica of Alvin Kamara.

If Bell leaves, which I doubt he does, and we're forced to a two-back set with Connor and a rookie, I wouldn't mind either Kelly or Sony Michel.

Official RB 3-cone times, per NFL:
1. Chase Edmonds: 6.79
2. Justin Jackson: 6.81
3. Royce Freeman: 6.90
4. Kalen Ballage: 6.91
8. Kerryon Johnson: 7.07
9. Nick Chubb: 7.09
11. John Kelly: 7.13
12: Nyheim Hines: 7.18
DNP: Barkley, Guice, Jones, Michel, Penny, Adams, Walton

Official RB 40 times, per NFL:
1. Nyheim Hines: 4.38
2. Saquon Barkley: 4.40
T-3. Rashaad Penny & Kalen Ballage: 4.46
5. Derrius Guice: 4.49
T-6. Nick Chubb, Justin Jackson, Bo Scarbrough: 4.52
T-9. Sony Michel, Royce Freeman, Akrum Wadley: 4.54
12. Chase Edmonds: 4.55

So there are some big differences in what I thought some of these guys would run based on tape and what actually happened. Now we still have pro-days and that can help but here is some of the big discrepancies:

Barkley - 1" taller, 8 lbs. heavier and still runs a 4.40. Wow.
Freeman - Almost dead on what I saw. Same height, same weight, runs a 4.54 which is right there.
Guice - 1" shorter, 4 lbs heavier, runs a 4.49. Right there all around. No issues.
Harris - I will take him off the list. Not in draft, returning to Alabama.
Chubb - 1" taller, 7 lbs. heavier, runs a 4.52. Nothing there to change my grade. Looks good.
Scarbrough - Right on height/weight (2 lbs lighter). Runs a 4.52 which is close enough at this point.
Kelly - 6 lbs. heavier. Did not run
R. Jones - 1" shorter, 5 lbs heavier (which is good) but he ran a really slow 4.65 vs. what I saw on film at 4.40 or 4.45 (sub 4.5 for sure). That's a big difference. Considering he's light in the pants already, that's a bad time.
Walton - 1" taller, 3 lbs. lighter (no issues). Ran a 4.6 instead of a 4.5. For a crib back like him that might not matter but he has to be a mismatch in the pass game on 3rd downs and that .10 second might matter vs. NFL linebackers in coverage.
Nall - matched almost all my numbers right on. Ran a 4.58. Solid all around.
K. Johnson - 1" shorts and right on weight. Did not run.
Hines - 1" shorter (down to 5'8" now), 2 lbs. lighter (no big deal) and ran the fastest of all the RB at 4.38. Fits the profile but did not blow it up or pull a Chris Johnson. Should stay where he's at.
Michel - dead on right across the board. Ran a 4.54 which is close to the projected 4.50. No issues.
Penny - Came in 5 lbs. lighter (which is good) and runs a very explosive 4.46 vs. what I saw as a 4.60 player at his size. He improved his stock in my mind. Already liked the tape and that just helps.
D. Williams - example of how times matter. I didn't see much different in play speed watching Penny vs. Williams. But they are light years apart in reality. Came in 10 lbs. lighter than his play weight and still ran a slow 4.72. Stock down.
Ballage - 1" shorter, 2 lbs. lighter but runs a very good 4.48 vs. what I thought looked like a 4.60 player. Still a lot of limiting factors on tape but he showed up.
J. Jackson - 1" taller and ran better than I thought. Still very light in the pants for a back that height but might have to revisit a tape or two. Ran a solid 4.50
Pettway - again, tape says a similar player to Ballage (big, between the tackles type) but the speed just completely separates them now on draft boards (similar to Williams vs. Penny). Can't imagine how a team would pick the slower guy over the faster guy given the choice and what is on tape.

Hey Del. Jones tweaked his hamstring during his run and that was why he only ran once and slow. He has been battling a hamstring injury for a couple of weeks but wanted to,give it a go. You could see him pull up on a couple of steps at the end. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work.

Hey Del. Jones tweaked his hamstring during his run and that was why he only ran once and slow. He has been battling a hamstring injury for a couple of weeks but wanted to,give it a go. You could see him pull up on a couple of steps at the end. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work.

That explains it. Thanks for the info because when I saw the time on the list I was very concerned.